Bean & Sausage Hot Pot

Friday 22 March 2013

  photo SAM_5608_zpsd085d734.jpg

In today's economy I am always looking for ways to make my food budget stretch as far as I can so I can get as much bang out of my pound as possible.  It only makes sense, as Del Boy would say.   The further I can make my food pounds go the more money I have for other things.

 photo SAM_5609_zps80a7ca06.jpg

If I can stretch my pounds and still turn out delicious meals that's even better.   This means being inventive with the ingredients I have and no waste, at all, which means using leftovers in an imaginative and tasty way.

 photo SAM_5612_zps00405732.jpg

Casseroles are a really great way of stretching ingredients and using up leftovers.   Casseroles such as this tasty hot pot which uses both leftover cooked potatoes, and cooked sausage meat or ham.  With the simple additions of some lightly sauteed onions, a tin of baked beans, some barbeque sauce and cheese, you end up with something which is mighty tasty indeed!

 photo SAM_5613_zpsff8402b9.jpg

Of course with there only being two of us, we get two hearty and delicious meals out of this casserole and if anything it tastes even better for having sat overnight.  The flavour seems to broaden and it just gets tastier.  This is a casserole I have been making for years and it's always been popular with my family and now the Toddster.   I hope you'll give it a try.  I don't think you'll be sorry that you did.  It's sure to be a dish the whole family will love.

  photo SAM_5611_zpsf503591b.jpg

*Bean and Sausage Hot Pot*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A little tasty something I made up to help use up leftover cooked sausage or ham and potatoes.  Delicious.

2 TBS olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
4 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
1/2 pound of leftover spicy cooked sausage, smoked or otherwise and crumbled or sliced
(Can also use an equivalent amount of leftover cooked smoked ham, cubed)
1 tin of baked beans, undrained (2 cups)
100g soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
3 heaped dessert spoons of barbeque sauce (1/4 cup)
120g of grated strong cheddar (1 cup)

  photo SAM_5616_zpsa9feb6ae.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  

Heat half of the oil in a medium skillet.  Add the onions and garlic.  Cook and stir until the onions begin to wilt.  Stir in the herbs, salt and pepper.   Toss in the potatoes and mix well together.  Remove from heat.

Use the remaining oil to butter an 8 inch square baking dish.   Spread the potato mixture over top.   Sprinkle with the cooked sausage or ham.   Stir together the beans, brown sugar and barbeque sauce.  Pour this mixture evenly over top of the sausage.  Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil.   Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.  Uncover.  Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.  Serve hot.

7 comments

  1. yumm, this is a delicious dollar stretcher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Del Boy just the best! this would go down well in my kitchen - inexpensive and delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your blog. You're a smart and thrifty cook, and I recommend you to everyone I know who loves cooking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very tasty- perfect with a salad for a winter night..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great comfort food Melanie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very tasty dish that is quick and easy to make. Good for using up leftover cooked potatoes and v.economical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased it was enjoyed Dexter. Thanks for taking the time to come back and let us know!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!