Crusty Chicken Pot Pie Buns

Monday 27 February 2012



We had the missionaries over for supper the other night and I roasted a couple of chickens and did a nice roast dinner for them. There was lots of veg, and mash and stuffing . . . and for dessert, sticky toffee pudding with cream. Todd said to me, that's a lot of chicken . . . but you know . . . I like to have leftovers. Two chickens equals 4 drumsticks as well, and you know lads and drumsticks!



Anyways, I had all this leftover chicken and was wanting to do something different with it . . . something not like the usual chicken casserole, or chicken sandwiches, enchiladas . . . or whatever. I wanted to something really different.



Then I had a brain storm. WE do like chicken pot pie. We do like chicken sandwiches . . . hmmm . . . the wheels started to turn. What if I put the two things together???



I think it was a few years ago when I shared my Crusty Lasagne Buns with y'all . . . they're wonderfully delicious! I thought to myself . . . why not a Crusty Chicken Pot Pie Bun???? Just the idea sounded fabulous, and I found myself thinking why had I not thought of this before!!!!



I just happened to have some crusty rolls in the house as well . . . also leftover from the roast dinner. I didn't have any leftover gravy . . . so I used cream soup instead, but you could use leftover gravy and it would be even better!!! (I like my pot pies made with leftover gravy. They're the bees knees!) I just used frozen mixed vegetables, thawed out, but if you had leftover vegetables that would be good too.



I had leftover stuffing and so I crumbled some of that on top and it was oooooooohhhh so scrumdiddlyumptious, but you could just make some buttered bread crumbs from the bread that you pull out of the rolls and that would be fine too.

All in all, I decided that these were totally awesome as the kids would say!!!! (DO kids still say that?? I dunno!!)



Nice crusty rolls filled with a scrummy chicken pot pie filling and topped with crumbly stuffing bits and baked until the whole thing is bubbling delish and the stuffing bits are nicely browned on top. No faffing about with pastry or dumplings. Easy peasy lemon squeasy.

Todd says they are a new favourite. I call them fabulous. Sometimes I even surprise myself!



*Crusty Chicken Pot Pie Buns*
Serves 6 - 8 depending on the size of your buns
Printable Recipe

Chicken Pot Pie without the pastry . . . served up in your very own crusty roll. Deliciously different!

1 tin of condensed cream of chicken soup (415g or 10 3/4 ounces)
(In the UK this is the Batchelor's Brand of soups)
1 soup tin of milk
1/2 tsp savoury
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 large mug fulls of cubed cooked potato
2 large mugfuls of cubed cooked chicken
2 large mugfuls of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (the one with peas, carrots, corn and beans)
salt and black pepper to taste
6 large crusty rolls (8 if they are not overly large)
leftover stuffing, crumbled, enough to top each bun, optional (can use buttered cracker crumbs, or even
the bread removed from the centre of the buns, crumbled and mixed with a bit of melted butter

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Have ready a baking tray.

Mix together the soup, milk, savoury, sage, marjoram, onion and garlic powders, cooked potato, cooked chicken, and mixed vegetables. Season to taste with some salt and black pepper.

Using a serrated knife, cut a sliver from the top of each bun. Using your fingers hollow each one out, by plucking out the soft bread inside, leaving a shell of about 1/4 inch all round. (Use the plucked out bits and tops to make bread crumbs or treat the birds.) Stuff each empty bun with the chicken mixture, allowing it to come a bit above the top. Place on the baking tray as you finish stuffing each one. Crumble the stuffing over top of each. (If using buttered crumbs sprinkle them over of each.)

Bake in the heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until crisp and golden brown and bubbling on the insides. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.



Over in The Cottage today, Hot Cross Muffins.

7 comments

  1. Marie, what a wonderful idea for leftovers and yes, I agree, gravy probably would be better than soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 19-year-old niece would say that these are the bomb dot com! LOL Dee-lish! Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a superb idea! and i bet they are great cold in a pack lunch.
    Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, this is absolutely wonderful use of the leftover. My son loves pot-pie, this is a great way to make him something quick! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leftover roast Sunday lunch and real comfort food. I have to admit that my two kids say 'Awwwwwwwesoooooome' rather too much for my liking. And they would say it even more if they were given these to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea!! love this - delicious and fun
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!