Sponge Drop Cakes

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Sponge Drop Cakes 



 
I just bet that some of you have made oodles and oodles of strawberry jam by now, using the fresh strawberries that are in abundance at all the farm shops and in our gardens. 


 Ohh, strawberries, the very essence of summertime, are they not?


  Sponge Drop Cakes 



 I have many fond memories of picking strawberries when I was a girl . . . both wild ones and cultivated ones . . . 


I think I was one of those naughty people that ate more than I picked, but oh well . . . who could blame me?




  Sponge Drop Cakes 




 Does anything on earth taste any better than a strawberry just picked and warm from the sun? I think not!!




  Sponge Drop Cakes 



 I always made scads and scads of strawberry jam each year when my children were growing up, both freezer jam, which was pretty easy and the cooked, which was also a bit of a doddle for me. 



 I always ran out before the end of the year too . . . it seemed that I never quite made enough.



  Sponge Drop Cakes 



 I never make it anymore . . . there is only the two of us in this house and we would never get it eaten . . . so I just buy it now. 


 My favourite is Bon Maman . . . I like the one that has the wild and regular berries mixed. Tiptree is also a real favourite. 



  Sponge Drop Cakes



Anyways, if you have some freshly made strawberry jam that you are wanting to showcase in a very special way. Look no further!!! 




  Sponge Drop Cakes 




 Quick. Easy. Ethereal. Delicious little clouds of summertime joy. The perfect teatime treat.


  Sponge Drop Cakes 




  *Sponge Drops* 
Makes about 10 



 Delicious little sponge cake mounds, filled with whipped cream and fresh strawberry jam. 

 For the sponge: 
2 medium free range eggs 
3 ounces of caster sugar (scant 1/2 cup) 
3 ounces of self raising flour (scant 2/3 of a cup) 


 To finish: 
strawberry jam and whipped cream 
Icing sugar 


 Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Grease several flat baking sheets. Set aside. 

 Measure the eggs into a bowl, Whisk lightly. Add the sugar and then whisk well (an electric whisk is helpful here) until thick, creamy and almost white in colour. The mixture should leave a trail when you lift the whisk out of the bowl. 

 Fold in the flour. 

 Drop by small spoonfuls, leaving lots of space in between on the baking trays. (It will spread) 

 Bake for about five minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to sit on the pan for several minutes before scooping off to finish cooling on a wire rack. 

 Once completely cold, put together in pairs with oodles of strawberry jam and whipped cream in the middle. Dust with icing sugar and serve.


16 comments

  1. These look so good. Just the thing for our strawberries. Yummy

    One day and you will be off to Canada. I am so happy and excited for you. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, this looks so delicious. Who eats all the yummy treats? Do you have a lot of lucky neighbors or friends or a very big family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very lucky husband and friends Kitchen in the Rockies! I may have a taste or two, (or three!!)but the rest is either eaten by my husband or given to friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marie! A friend's mama gave me a recipe like this years ago (my family LOVES it) but she called them something else which, of course I can't remember at the moment. I also love them with blueberry Your pics are always gorgeous!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Marie... this is EXCELLENT! These are like summer captured in miniature... I can't wait to try these soon! Strawberries here are frightfully costly at the moment--may wait a week or so. Going to make jam for sure, and some strawberry rhubarb jam as well. Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU HEAPS!! OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these look divine Marie - I am sure these are best served with cups of tea and a good natter :) Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post again! My son and I love strawberry jam with bread slices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What delights! They looks so deliciously insubstantial. I would want one, and then I couldn't resist another one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are these little babies anything like whoopie pies? Can't beat cake, strawberry jam and cream in my book ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am making these in my food tec lessons and they are amazing..thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These would be totally decadent with clotted cream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kate. Clotted cream would be the ultimate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie, when you say it makes 10, do you mean 5 sandwiches (with each having 2 sponge cakelettes)? Thanks. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regine, I mean 10 sandwiches, so 20 individual sponges put together. You dollop it onto the baking sheets in small spoonfuls. Much like a whoopine pie I think. HOpe this helps! If you make them you are in for a real treat! xo

      Delete
  14. Thanks Marie but silly me dropped the batter using a spoon that was too big and i only ended up with 12. My sponges were a bit too flat. I need to remake for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, spell check for me whoopie pies. The important thing is if they tasted good! I am betting they did anyways. xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!