Crusty Lasagna Buns

Saturday 5 June 2010



With the World Cup coming up very soon now, I thought it would be fun over the next little while to do a few things that might come in very handy for those nights when you are all gathered around the radio or the telly watching or listening to the games!!



Generally speaking, Todd and I are not big footie fans, but when it comes to the World Cup, we are just like anyone else. We like to fly the flag and support our Country! You should see the neigbourhood around here. It seems everyone is flying the flag!! In fact some homes are so covered in England Flags, you can't see the actual house!!



All the shops are full of England Flag Merchandise. You can even get England Flag afro wigs and Cowboy Hats down at the local Wilkensons!!! Now that's what I call really getting into it!! I may spring for one or two for Todd and myself, and if I do, I'll be sure to show you a picture!!



Football match food is highly specialized. It needs to be somewhat portable, appealing to men and kids, and fun, fun, FUN to eat!!



That's exactly what these Lasagna Buns are!!! Easy and quick to make, and oh so very delicious!! You can eat them with your hands, if you really want to get down to earth . . . or you can be a bit more civilized and eat them on a plate with a fork and knife!!



At the Table . . . Or in front of the telly . . . No matter which way you cut, or eat them though, they are sure to be very popular with the footie fans in your household!

Crisp bread shells holding all the elements of a delicious meaty lasagna. Ohhh soooo cheesy and rich and scrumdiddlyummy!!!



Please Note - One does not have to be a football fan to enjoy these. You just have to like Lasagna, bread . . . and FUN!



*Crusty Lasagna Buns*
Makes 8
Printable Recipe

Crisp hollowed out crusty rolls filled with a mixture of a delicious meat sauce and a variety of cheeses, and then baked until the cheese is ooey gooey and scrumdiddlyumptious!!

8 round crusty rolls
350g of extra lean ground beef
1 small jar of pasta sauce
(your favourite kind. I like one with a gutsy flavour such as an
arrabatia or a puttanesca)
garlic powder to taste
2 tsp of dried oregano
2 tsp of dried basil
1 tsp onion powder
pinch of cloves
salt and black pepper to taste
250g packet of ricotta cheese
8 ounces strong cheddar cheese grated
8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese

Cut a thin slice off of the top of each bun. Hollow out the centres, leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell. (Discard the centres and tops, or feed to birds, or make breadcrumbs with them and put them in the freezer.)

Brown the ground beef in a hot skillet, cooking and mashing with a fork until it is nicely browned. Stir in the garlic powder, oregano, basil, onion powder, cloves, salt, pepper and pasta sauce. Allow to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes over low heat until flavours meld.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark4.

Mix together the ricotta cheese with half of the cheddar cheese and half of the Mozzarella cheese, and all of the Parmesan.. Stir together well.

Place the hollowed out buns on a shallow baking tray. Divide the meat sauce between them. Top with equal amounts of the cheese mixture. Cover loosely with foil and then pop into the heated oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the foil and top with the remaining cheese and then bake for another 5 minutes or so, or pop under a hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes.

Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Delicious!

!!!WINNER winner WINNER winner WINNER winner WINNER!!!

I used a Random Number Generator at Random dot org to draw a winner of the Cookery Book celebrating my one year bloggiversary. It picked Number 9. Pat, you are my lucky winner!! So send me your details and I'll pop the cookbook into the post for you post haste. I wish I knew how to show you all the number generator so you know it's no fooling, but I am sadly lacking in technical saavy. If anyone can tell me how to do it, I'd appreciate it muchly so that next time I can show you the number in real time! I wish I could give everyone a cookbook, but alas . . . I am still waiting to win the lottery . . .

14 comments

  1. These look delicious! My husband went to boarding school in England so, of course, he grew up loving soccer. It is becoming more popular here in the U.S. but not as much as football and baseball. I think these buns would make a lovely treat while watching a game.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those look yummy, Marie! Your football season sounds fun--doesn't get QUITE that crazy here!

    I think I'll need to make some of those for my kids--they'll love them! Can't wait to see you in your wigs!

    Much love to you, dear friend...have a most wonderful weekend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooooooooo pleased I live in Scotland lol. I do like the look of these buns though. They would be perfect for a little alfresco dinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, my Nonno was a soccer player and played on a team that won the World Cup (in Italy of course!) So I guess I'll just HAVE to make these!! :) My family will LOVE these!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Honey loves, loves, loves lasagna! I am sure these will go down a treat, I just need to run and get some buns. We live just behind the town soccer (football) fields. In the spring and fall, we get to watch all the games. I love to watch the little kids, those from about 5-10 play. Much love - Raquel XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow....i love your blog and i make a lot of your recipes and i am making these as soon as i get the ingredients!!! thank you soooo much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea. You could have a kind of cottage pie filling too. Lots of possibilities in fact. Wasted on hardened footie fans too - they can make do with a packet of crisps! Ooooh I am totally heartless. Woops, sorry, you like a bit of footie don't you?!! Gi'es a crisp..

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look like so much fun! They are little lasagnes all in one! They will indeed be perfect for the Wrold Cup infront of the TV or as a lovely meal away from the TV!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look so delicious, i can't wait to make them! i love when you make it easy by putting the measurements of the ingredients so that we who do not know the metric system can make your yummy recipes! thank you for your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting idea. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my, what's NOT to love.....lasagna, bread, portability, English football! All sounds winning, to me! xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess what I'm preparing for dinner tonight?
    These look SO good I had to restrain myself from licking the screen. I'm off to the market to buy the ingredients I don't have on hand...crusty rolls and three of the four cheeses listed. Thanks Marie. This looks like another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your World Cup may be something like our SuperBowl - and like you, I don't really get "into it" until Superbowl comes around. =) Oh - my family will LOVE these. And what a GREAT and EASY recipe. How fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!