Chicken Crumble Pot Pie

Tuesday 15 March 2016

 photo DSCN5836_zpsox4inish.jpg

 We eat a lot of chicken in this house and I am always on the search for new ways to prepare it, so that it never becomes boring.   Chicken is such a lovely protein in that it takes to other flavours very well and is so very adaptable.   I discovered what looked to be a very delicious recipe for a Chicken Pot Pie Crumble on Pinterest last week.  Chicken . . .  Check!  Pot Pie . . .  Check!!  Crumble . . .  Check !!!  The three together  . . .  well that just spells Winner Winner Chicken Dinner to me!

 photo DSCN5837_zpscl2ariwa.jpg

I have adapted this particular recipe from the blog Cooking Classy, who adapted it from a recipe found on Cooks Illustrated,  both of which sounded and looked very delicious.  I can be rather lazy however when it comes to cooking and if I can find an easier way to do something that doesn't involve a lot of faffing about, I will do it.

 photo DSCN5838_zpsftkwp9ez.jpg

I didn't change the topping part at all.  Partially baking it separately from the filling  first, ensures that it stays crisp and crunchy . . .  my bigger changes came in preparing the filling.

 photo DSCN5839_zps1qwzonva.jpg

 Cooking Classy cooked her chicken breast in the slow cooker over a period of 5 or 6 hours.   I didn't want to do that.  I didn't think it was necessary really . . .  not when you can perfectly poach flavourful chicken breasts in a saucepan on top of the stove in a fraction of the time.  To be honest, I have always found chicken breast meat cooked in the slow cooker to be a bit dry and lacking in texture.   Blecch.  Blecch. Blecch.

 photo DSCN5840_zpso18pvyjl.jpg

 I also varied slightly the way the gravy was put together and the vegetables used.  You could also use an equivalent amount of mixed frozen vegetaables if you wanted to.  I like the ones I chose to use.  I also add some different herbs.  All in all it was very delicious.  Todd, being of a more robust appetite had his with a baked potato.  I had mine with a salad on the side.  We were both more than happy!

 photo DSCN5843_zpsr8l9uyye.jpg

 
*Chicken Pot Pie Crumble*
serves 4 

This is a recipe I discovered on Pinterest, attributed to Cooking Classy,  who adapted it from Cooks Illustrated.  I have adapted it yet again to suit our own needs and tastes.  I also chose to poach the chicken breasts on top of the stove.  It takes a lot less time and yields moist and tender pieces of chicken. I find white meat chicken done in the slow cooker to be far too dry for my taste. 



For the filling:
4 single chicken breast portions
chicken broth
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks of celery, trimmed and diced
2 medium onion, peeled and diced
1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
1/2 cup frozen corn (thawed)
3 TBS butter
3 TBS flour
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp summer savory
6 fluid ounces milk
1 tsp dried parsley
pinch dried thyme
For the crumble topping:
210g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each garlic powder, black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
65g butter, cut into small bits (1/4 cup)
90g of finely grated Parmesan Cheese (1/2 cup)
6 fluid ounces plus 2 TBS heavy cream

 photo DSCN5841_zpswodpy09b.jpg


Put chicken in a large saucepan.  Cover with chicken broth.   Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes.  Remove from the stove.  Lift out the chicken and set it aside. Strain the broth into a measuring jug.   Set aside.

 photo DSCN5842_zpsy1kczyfb.jpg


Preheat the oven to 225*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder together in a bowl. Drop in the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until crumbly.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Then pour in the heavy cream and mix until just combined. Break the dough into 1 to 2 inch pieces and drop them onto a lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.  Reduce the oven temperature to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.

 photo DSCN5845_zps94gziles.jpg


Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the diced carrots, onion, and celery. Cook,  stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender. This will take about 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over top.  Cook and stir for about a minute.  Slowly whisk in the milk and then whisk in an equal amount of the reserved chicken broth.


 photo DSCN5848_zpsfxxvoosa.jpg


   Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, and cooking until it is nicely thickened.  Add the parsley, thyme and summer savory.  Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.  If you think it is too thick, you may whisk in a bit more broth.  Add the thawed peas and carrots.  Cut the poached chicken into cubes and then stir it in gently.  Pour this mixture into a deep casserole dish.  Sprinkle the baked crumble topping over top.

 photo DSCN5846_zps7nes8pdm.jpg


Bake  until nicely golden brown and the mixture is bubbling slightly, for about another 15 minutes or so.   Let stand a few minutes before serving.  Serve hot.

 photo DSCN5849_zps6rfjqzs6.jpg

We both really enjoyed this. I hope that you will also give it a go!   Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Monique, it was insanely delicious. I cut the recipe in half and there was plenty for us and some leftovers. xo

      Delete
  2. I've never made anything quite like this before, but it sounded so good that I had to try it. I'm glad that I did because it is so delicious. I cheated and cooked my chicken breasts in the microwave and just made up the amount of stock needed with commercial chicken stock. Then the rest came together quite quickly and made a tasty dinner. Another chicken dinner winner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it makes me so happy when you try these older recipes Marie! It really makes my day! This is a favourite of mine also. I haven’t made it in a while now! I love how you easily adapted it to what you had! That’s the sign of a good cook! And I guess a good recipe! So pleased you enjoyed! As always I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!