Two Potato Gratin

Wednesday 15 October 2014

 photo SAM_7605_zps651b6d45.jpg

I love October . . .  it is in October that my taste palate turns to the colour orange and I just want to eat my fill of winter squash and pumpkins, carrots and sweet potatoes.  I don't crave these things in July and August,  or even September  . . . but once the calendar page flips over to October, I can't seem to get enough of them and I start incorporating them into whatever I can.

 photo SAM_7606_zpsa2b42ecf.jpg

I know that Americans mostly like their sweet potatoes mashed and coated with marshmallows, brown sugar and nuts . . .  and they are rather good that way . . .  but I am more in love with the savoury approach when it comes to sweet potatoes.

  photo SAM_7607_zps33956a63.jpg

Sweet potatoes lend themselves beautifully to savoury dishes.  I often bake them and just mash them with some garlic and parmesan cheese. They are gorgeous done that way.   Sometimes I do sweet potato wedges . . .  just like regular potato wedges, except with sweet potatoes  I toss them with some olive oil, herbs, garlic and seasoning and roast them in a hot oven until they are nicely crisped and caramelized.  So good.

 photo SAM_7609_zps04606d6e.jpg

They really shine in dishes like this lovely two potato gratin which I have prepared here today . . . layers of tender white potato, chopped onion,  sweet potatoes and several kinds of cheese.  There is no butter  . . .  you don't need butter with the cheese.  

  photo SAM_7610_zps4151f090.jpg

There is no cream . . .  once again the cheese adds a richness that cream often adds . . .  it is thickened merely with a bit of flour between the layers . . .  it's only seasoning is a bit of salt and pepper . . .  and the moisture comes from ordinary milk.

 photo SAM_7612_zpsd22c9d9d.jpg

Altogether everything melds into a beautiful dish that is simple and easy to make . . .  and goes so very well with most flavours.  We had it with some pork chops . . .  but it would be equally at home with chicken, or fish . . .  lamb, or even on it's own.  In all truth I could sit down to just a plate of this quite, quite happily.

  photo SAM_7613_zpsbbe2e351.jpg

*Two Potato Gratin*
Serves 4 to 6
A delicious side dish made by layering both sweet and white potatoes in a caserold with along with some onion, cheese, seasoning, flour and milk.


2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 TBS flour
salt and black pepper to taste
45g of finely grated Parmesan Cheese (1/4 cup)
90g of grated strong cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
120ml of milk (1/2 cup)

  photo SAM_7619_zps11886266.jpg

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a gratin dish.

 photo SAM_7617_zps2bc91c04.jpg

Layer half of the white potatoes in the gratin dish.  Sprinkle with 1 TBS of flour, half of the onion and one third of the cheese. Season lightly.   Top with all of the sweet potatoes.  Top with 1 TBS of the flour, the remaining onions, and one third of the cheese.  Season lightly.  Top with the remaining white potatoes, the remainder of the flour and some seasoning.  Pour the milk over.  Cover tightly with foil and bake in the heated oven for 50 minutes.  Uncover and top with the remaining cheese.   Continue to bake, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes until the top is golden brown.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

6 comments

  1. Marie: I don't happen to have any sweet potatoes, but wonder if I could just use the ones I have on hand because this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MOnique! You aren't wrong! haha xx

    Sharon, I think you could quite happily use all white potatoes if you wish. T'would be just as delish! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potato gratin! and this look georgeous Marie:)
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy Marie! Some Americans do like a sweet potato dish mashed with brown sugar, marshmallows and nuts for the Thanksgiving holiday (and others wouldn't touch it) but not usually for an everyday dish. I love them baked with a pat of butter on them as a side dish or even for my lunch. They are delicious and really good health wise. Hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gloria!! YOU make me smile! xx

    Val, I love to roast them in their skins and then slip them out and enjoy them just like that, with nothing else. well, maybe some coarse black pepper. Hugs back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!