Curried Cranberry and Pistachio Rice

Wednesday 26 December 2012

 

So here we are at Boxing Day.  Christmas . . . takes forever to arrive and then it is gone in a flash.  Trusting you all have a Merry one, with lots of yummy goodies and family, friends and love the whole day through.  My dinner pretty much tasted like cardboard, with this rotten cold I have had . . . but I can breathe this morning so things are definitely on the upturn!

 

Best part of yesterday was watching the grand-kiddos open their pressies on the ipad.  What a marvelous invention that is.  Just brilliant.  I wish that I could do that with all my grand babies, but alas . . . only one son with kids has an ipad.  C'est la vie!

 

To my way of thinking the best part of any roast dinner, Christmas or otherwise . . . is dealing with the inevitable leftovers.  I like to come up with different things to do with them . . . of course there is turkey curry and turkey pie, turkey casserole and the like . . . there is no end to the deliciousness that you can achieve with the leftovers. 



 This is a delicious rice dish that you can either cook fresh rice for or use pre-cooked packaged rice for.  You can serve it along side of your turkey curry or whatever . . . or you can add bits of your leftover roast turkey and ham to it and turn it into a main dish.  Whatever you choose to do I think you will find that it's easy, delicious and . . . quite different.



Today we're having roast ham with all of the trimmings as the Missionaries are coming over.  I do love to spoil them.  Whatever you are having today . . . I hope you enjoy.  Happy Boxing Day.

 

 *Curried Cranberry and Pistachio Rice*
Serves 6 as a tasty side dish
Printable Recipe

This recipe is great to use with freshly cooked rice or leftover cooked rice.  You can also add chopped leftover chicken, ham, pork, turkey or lamb for even more deliciousness. 

5 cups of cooked basamati rice
2 TBS coconut oil
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp dried thyme
a knob of butter
2 TBS medium curry powder
2 tsp soy sauce
2 TBS chicken broth, or vegetable broth
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts,  coarsely chopped
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan.over medium low heat.  Add the pistachio nuts and cook, stirring until they begin to toast.  Add the butter, thyme, garlic and curry powder.  Cook until the mixture becomes very fragrant.  Add the chicken broth, soy sauce and the rice.  Stir well to combine, adding more broth if necessary to keep the rice moist.  Cook over medium high heat until heated through and the rice is hot.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the cranberries.  Remove from the heat and serve.

By the way, I've had a couple of comments lately that were quite negative.  One complaining that my Boulangere Potatoes were horrible and another saying the same thing about my Lemon Poppyseed Muffins.  This is my reply . . . Cooking is subjective and variable.  I simply cook what I think are good recipes and sound recipes and I show you MY results.   I invite you to try them out yourself.  I am not responsible for what happens in your kitchen, with your equipment, your cooking methods, or for your own personal tastes.  I simply show you my own experience and if it's a bad one, I will tell you . . . if it's a good one, likewise.  I apologize if you haven't had the same experience, but that is life.  We all see things from our own eyes.  I take pictures and I am not the best photographer in the world.  I just click and shoot.  The things I make look tasty because they are tasty.  I can't help it if you don't agree.  Taste is subjective too.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

6 comments

  1. Try to not let the nay sayers get to you.

    Would you believe there were no left overs. I am pleased as I dislike dealing with left overs. Tonight we had roast lamb, scalloped potato and other veg. There are some left overs tonight. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea this rice!
    I was wondering what to do with leftovers which are not enough for a meal.Some freshly cooked rice will be perfect.
    Marie,you are absolutely right. Cooking is subjective and it depends on one's taste and method.
    I for one, whichever recipe have tried has come out perfectly.
    On Christmas Eve I baked the white chocolate ginger baked donuts in a muffin tin and they were delicious with lots of flavour.I took them to my sister's yesterday and all loved them with the afternoon coffee.
    Have a good time, today and don't you worry at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm....this rice dish looks delish! I would make it with brown basamati and add some sliced green onions. I like that you are using the coconut oil!

    I have made your Boulangere Potatoes many times and they always turn out moist, tender and tasty...the best dairy-free scalloped potato recipe ever!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I've yet to try your potato recipe, Marie, the many other recipes I've tried here have been wonderful. This most recent recipe, is an example of the creative, delicious dishes I've come to expect on your blog. I can't imagine why some people behave the way they do online, it's wrong. Don't let people like that get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rice looks delicious!

    So sorry you have been receiving rude comments, I do enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you got some negative comments. I follow your blog, read every post, love your pictures and recipes. Please blog on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!