Onion, Garlic and Cheese Pluckit Bread

Friday 27 April 2012

 

Do you remember that Cinnamon Roll Pluckit Bread that I made a few weeks back???  My goodness, but it was some good.  Are you sitting down???  Well . . .



I decided to try making a savoury version.  We love our Garlic bread in this house.  Umm . . .  ok, Todd's  not overly keen.  He thinks it falls into the same category as Italian food, pizza, pasta and all that.  I love garlic bread.  (At least I'm honest!)

 

Today I made an Onion, Garlic and Cheese Pluckit Bread!  Oh my goodness.  It is some good.

 

Just imagine a hearty French Boule . . . sliced through and spread inside all over and in all the gaps with a savoury onion and garlic butter, chock full of bits of chopped spring onion, poppy seeds, and a bit of a bite from some hot sauce . . .

 

Now fill those gaps with Monterrey Jack cheese.  You can use Pepper Jack if you want some real heat . . . or you can keep it simple and use the ordinary Jack cheese.

 

Now wrap that boule in foil and bake it in the oven until the butter all melts into those crevices . . . and the cheese gets all goooey scrummy melted delicious.



Now take it out and plunk it down on the table in front of your family and let them dig in.

 

They will love it.  You will love it.

 

You will be instantly addicted.  Don't blame me though.  You were warned.

 

*Onion, Garlic and Cheese Pluckit Bread*
Makes one large scrummy loaf
Printable Recipe

This makes a fabulous party food, or side dish to an Italian meal.  Your family will love, Love, LOVE this!

1 large round un-sliced Boule loaf of bread
16 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese, sliced thinly
4 ounces of butter, softened
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp of hot sauce
4 to 6 spring onions, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Place a large piece of foil on a baking sheet.

Cut the boule of bread lengthwise into cuts, 1/2 inch apart, cutting all the way through to the bottom but NOT through the bottom.  Leave the bottom intact.  Turn the boule 90* and make cuts again in the same way, making sure that once again you don't cut all the way through the bottom of the loaf.

Stir together the softened butter, onion powder, poppy seeds, hot sauce and chopped spring onions.  Spread this mixture down into the cuts, all the way through the loaf, reservin a couple of TBS for the end.  Tuck slices of the cheese down into the cuts also.  Place the bread onto the foil wrap.  Brush the top of the bread all over with the remaining butter mixture.  Wrap the foil over top of the bread to completely enclose it.

Bake for 15 minutes.  Loosen the foil and uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.  Serve hot at the table.  Allow people to pluck their own bits to eat.

6 comments

  1. Oh man, does that look good. Next Italian pasta night will be accompanied by that!

    Say, I'm kind of new to your site, which I love, by the way. I'm wondering if there's a way that I'm not seeing where I can look up all your 'cake' recipes, for instance. All I can see is to click on Cake but that leaves me with endless screens of a cake or two per screen.

    I was hoping for a list of some kind that'd link me to the cake that interested me. I hope you know what I mean.

    Thanks for a great site.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite strange but in Italy we use a lot of garlic and we do not have any tipe of Garlic Bread! :)
    I'm missing garlic bread and sometimes I'm preparing my own one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm that looks good....I feel an Italian style meal coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhh - it's so good it almost shouldn't be allowed!!!! I would not be safe around this!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be oh so good with sourdough bread, must try this, yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you give it a go Barbara, I am sure you will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!