Old Fashioned Molasses Crinkles

Saturday 28 April 2012

 SDC16427

I wish I had a pound for every time I have baked these cookies through the years. I'd be rich, Rich, RICH! Seriously. Thse cookies were a favourite of my children when they were growing up . . . and errr . . . I have to confess they have always been a favourite of mine as well.

 SDC16429

I think there must be a bazillion versions of this recipe floating through the internet and scribbled on bits of paper and tucked into secret places in kitchens all across the world.  This is my version.  Scribbled onto the back of an envelope and tucked into my Big Blue Binder eons ago.

 SDC16430

This is my favourite recipe for these deliciously spiced gingersnappy kind of biscuits/cookies. What they are called depends on where you live. Here in the UK they are biscuits. In North America they are cookies. I don't care what they're called. To me they are just plain, good, Good, GOOD!

SDC16431

The main reason I like this recipe is because they a beautifully spiced, filled with the warm kitchen spices of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamom . . .

 SDC16432

I like this recipe because they are sweetened with golden caster sugar and molasses. Plain and simple. They're rolled in Demerara sugar (Turbinado) which gives them an additional crunch.

 SDC16433

Crunchy on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside. Just the way I like them.

 SDC16437

Are you a Dunker??? I am.

SDC16435

Nothing like a warm cookie . . . all spicy and fragrantly yummy . . . dunked into an ice cold glass of milk. Oh my. Scrummy. Scrummy. SCRUMMY!

 SDC16441

There's nothing like sitting down to your favourite cookie and a glass of cold milk in the middle of the afternoon. It just makes a day seem right somehow, no matter how anything else is going.

 SDC16434

 *Old Fashioned Molasses Crinkles*
Makes about 20 cookies
Printable Recipe

Crisp and sugar on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  Everyone's favourite!

For the cookies:
280g of plain flour (2 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp fine seasalt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
12 TBS cold vegetable shortening (White Flora, Trex or Crisco)
190g of golden caster sugar (1 cup)
1 large free range egg
60ml of molasses (1/4 cup, can use 30ml of golden syrup and 30ml of dark treacle)

To roll:
50g of demerara sugar (1/4 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*f/ gas mark 5.  Line two baking sheets with some baking parchment paper.  Set aside.

Cream the shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the salt, egg and molasses.  Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices.  Add to the creamed mixture all at once.  Beat on low until everything is well combined. 

Working quickly take 2 TBS of dough at a time and shape into balls.  (They will be about the size of a golf ball)  Place the demerara sugar into a bowl.  Roll the balls of dough in the sugar and place them onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between each.  Bake them, one cookie sheet at a time, for about 18 minutes until lightly browned on the bottoms and the tops have cracked.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before stirring in an airtight container.

4 comments

  1. This is identical to my grandmother's recipe! Sometimes she put in the cardamom, sometimes not as it all depended upon if she could get any as she lived in a small town in western Nebraska that did not always carry what they considered "exotic" spices. I do believe I will have to make some of these tomorrow! We ALL love them here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone have a recipe for old fashioned caraway cookies without ginger?
    kerrybuzzell@rogers.com
    Thanks for your help.
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything ginger. I have to figure out a way to get to England and join you in a cookie-fest. Will you promise to make these ginger cookies?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!