Gingerbread Biscotti

Saturday 2 December 2017


I am here today with a delicious cookie that will be a fabulous addition to your Christmas baking list.  These Gingerbread Biscotti  would not only be great on your cookie trays, but perfect for cookie exchanges.
 
They also make for a wonderful gift in a basket, with some nice coffee mugs, hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, etc. all tied up with a bow!


Biscotti are one of my favourite cookies for baking!  They are as simple as making up a dough, shaping it into logs and then baking the logs.  
 
Once the logs are baked (see above) you cut them crosswise into sices and bake again . . .  the second baking gives them that characteristic crunch that we all love.  Perfect for dunking!


I wish they had smell-aputer!  Because the smell  of these baking will rock your world to heaven and back again!
 
Seriously, they smell fabulous, when baking and afterwards!


I wish I could bottle the fragrance up and sell it.  I'd be a millionaire I am sure.  Pure heavenly bliss! 

Just you wait and see.  These smell like Christmas, pure and simple!


Crisp and gingerbready with a bit of a snap, these are great on their own with just the icing sugar dust gilding the top  . . . but . . .


With just a tiny bit more effort you can have a glorious drizzle icing that looks like icicles gilding the top.  I sprinkled on some white non pareils as well, for an additional snowy effect!  Very pretty!


*Gingerbread Biscotti*
Makes about 24

 
These smell heavenly when they are baking.  Oh boy.  Delicious and crisp and everything a good biscotti should be! 

310g plain flour (2 1/2 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2  tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp black pepper
85g butter, softened (6 TBS)
200g soft light brown sugar (1 cup) (I use muscovado which has a high molasses content)
2 large free range eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS molasses
1 - 2 TBS confectioners sugar to dust



Preheat the oven to 180*C350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line two baking sheets with baking paper. 


Sift together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and black pepper.  Set aside. 


Cream together the butter and brown sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla and molasses. Stir in the flour  mixture to make a stiff dough, mixing all together well.  


Using lightly floured hands divide the dough into halves and shape each half into a 12 inches by 2 inches log on each baking sheet.  Dust generously with icing sugar. 


Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.  Remove from the baking sheets to a cutting board and cut across into 3/4 inch slices.  Place the slices, cut side down, onto the baking sheets and bake for a further 10 minutes or so until crisp.   Cool completely on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container for up to 1 week.  They can also be frozen for about a month. 


Optional:  Glaze and decorate with  a simple white icing glaze and some white non-pareils.  Simply whisk together 260g icing sugar (2 cups) with a few drops vanilla and just enough milk to give you a smooth drizzle.  Dip the upper edges into the icing and then into the non-pareils.  Let sit  until the icing has set and dried completely before storing. 



I am going to have to bake another batch because the first batch I made is gone, gone, gone.  These are that good, and we are that naughty!  Happy holidays and Bon Appetit!  

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


 




10 comments

  1. They turned out beautifully Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! They taste and smell amazing! xo

      Delete
  2. yum, these look and sound amazing!! I've never had this before,, your Cookbook is AMAZING!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laurie! I am so pleased that you like my book! You made my day! You need to make these biscotti. They are pretty amazing themselves!! xo

      Delete
  3. I made a batch of these today - you know me and food, I just can't wait! I made the drizzle, but had no sprinkles, so I used pearl sugar and they look (and taste) amazing. Such an easy recipe and the results are wonderful. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, oddly enough I was thinking about you yesterday when I baked these. They are very moreish! Didn't you love the smell! xo

      Delete
    2. It smelled like Christmas! I'll be making your gingerbread cookies with chocolate drizzle next. I just love the warm spices we use at this time of the year.

      Delete
    3. OH, me too Marie. They are the smell of Christmas to me! And the tastes!

      Delete
    4. I made your gingerbread biscotti recipe. It’s incredible. I’ve put this on my Christmas cookie list. Love your recipes. Keep up the good work. Thanks so much for such great recipes.

      Delete
    5. You are so welcome! I am really pleased that you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!