Lemon & Cardamom Drizzle Loaf

Thursday 30 November 2017


Lemon Cardamom Drizzle Loaf. If you are a fan of Lemon Drizzle Cake or loaves prepare yourself to fall in love. Yes, another Lemon Drizzle cake, but this one is amazing.
 
This is a variation of my ex mother in law Elizabeth's recipes.  My ex MIL was such a wonderful cook.  Basic, but a really good cook, with sound and reliable recipes. I have been baking this lovely loaf of hers for nigh onto 41 years now!


The only thing different I do than to what she did  is that I added some ground cardamom.  Cardamom and lemon go really well together doncha know! 

I quite adore it in almost anything, but especially in baked goods.


If you leave this lush loaf to sit overnight it slices beautifully.  That is the hardest part for me, leaving something overnight without digging into it. I am such a glutton!
 
 It has plenty of walnuts in it. I like to toast the walnuts before adding them.  (Make sure you cool them down before adding them to the batter.)  Toasting nuts always really brings out their delicious nuttiness!


This has lovely lemon flavours . . .  both in the batter and in the sugar drizzle with you pour over top while the loaf is still warm.


It soaks into the surface of the bread and creates a crispy sugar crackle surface that is oh so tangy/sweet tasty!


This also makes a great loaf for gift giving.  I can't think of anyone that wouldn't like to receive one of these.  Its so moist and delicious!


You could wrap it up in some cling film, and tie it with a pretty ribbon, and then present it in a bread basket with a pretty napkin for lining the basket, and some nice herbal or otherwise teas.

Lemon & Cardamom Drizzle Loaf

You could also include a nice handwritten recipe card with the recipe on it and a pretty mug or cup.  Now that sounds like a lovely gift, I think!


*Lemon & Cardamom Drizzle Loaf*
Makes one medium loaf
An old recipe from my MIL that I added cardamom to with most delicious results.  I also added some lemon extract for even more lemon flavour. 

6 TBS butter, softened
190g sugar (1 cup)
the finely grated zest of one lemon
2 large free range eggs, beaten
210g plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp lemon extract
120ml milk (1/2 cup)
60g chopped walnuts, toasted (1/2 cup) 


For the glaze:
the juice of one lemon
65g sugar (1/3 cup)
1/4 tsp ground cardamom 



Preheat the oven to 165*C/325*F/ gas mark 3.  Line a buttered medium loaf tin with baking paper. Set aside. 


Whisk together the lemon juice cardamom and sugar for the glaze and set aside. 


Take your sugar and rub in the lemon zest until very fragrant. Cream together the butter, salt, and lemon sugar until light.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Stir in the lemon extract.


Whisk together the flour, baking powder and cardamom.  Stir in the walnuts.  Add this to the creamed mixture, alternately with the milk to combine.  Spoon into the prepared baking tin.  Bake for 1 hour until well risen and the top springs back when lightly touched.  A toothpick inserted in the centre should also come out clean.


While the loaf is still warm and still in the pan, pour the glaze ingredients over top, allowing them to settle in.  Let cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before lifting out to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.  Store in an airtight container.



I love these old recipes.  They are such treasures!  This is a great bread for the holidays for sure!  Bon Appetit! 


This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 




10 comments

  1. Hey! That's my kitchen tablecloth! No kidding. And no kidding about making your Lemon/Cardamon tea bread. Since Hubby is alergic to nuts, I'll substitute blueberries, which go well with lemon. I'm interested to taste how the cardamon blends with the lemon, too. This seems like a lighter tea bread best for the Advent Season, so I'll make up a couple of loaves for the Bishop, too. Thanks, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice and light and moist and delicious Jo! That's a Greengate Tea Towel! I wish I could afford a whole table cloth, but it is my favourite baking/food prop! Your Bishop is in for a real treat! Brownie points for you! xo

      Delete
    2. This evening after supper, I made this lemon tea bread (or is it really a cake?) for Sunday tea on Advent I. Next week, I'll bake another for our Bishop whose actually our retired bishop who's coming back for a preaching mission. I can hardly wait to slice into our own treat tomorrow afternoon! Thank you again, Marie, for sharing this recipe.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I am so happy it is being enjoyed Jo! Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us! I am sure your Bishop will love it! Happy Holidays! xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Monique, these old recipes are the best! xo

      Delete
  3. This is the same recipe my Mom used for years, and now I continue to make it too. Absolutely delicious. The addition of the walnuts and cardamon is the only difference but I will be trying them next time I make this lemon loaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a classic for sure Serene Stamper! The walnuts and cardamom are my own addition. xo

      Delete
  4. Another glorious recipe from you ! Certainly will make this one, and soon.
    I do have a question, however... as I seem to have an abundance of sour milk ( oh gosh, don't ask !!) could I substitute sour milk for the sweet milk in this recipe, if I added 1/2 tsp of baking soda ? Thanks in advance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t really say so with any certainty Melissa as I have never done so. It sounds like you could though, adding some soda as you say. Let me know how you get on! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!