Waffled Grilled Cheese

Friday 18 August 2017

I find myself in the position of having yet again, one of those days!  With all of the debacle of Photobucket hijacking my photos and trying to sort it out myself, I have not had a lot of time to cook. Thank goodness Todd is a patient man!  Today we had grilled cheese sandwiches and soup . . .  but I did make my grilled cheese waffled grille cheese, which ain't nobody complaining about! 
 
 
Now this is nothing new.  I have seen waffled grilled cheese on a variety of sites over the past few months and they have been on my bucket list to try . . . 

 
I amped them up a bit however by doing three very tasty things . . .  One, I used sour dough bread. Our local shop sells a sliced sour dough loaf that is shaped like sandwich bread.  Works a charm and is so tasty!


Two, I spread the outside of the bread with low fat mayonnaise instead of butter.  It adds a lovely taste to the sandwich.  I have been doing this to my grilled cheese sandwiches for years and years.  Lots of people like mayo in their cheese sandwiches, why not on the outside of their grilled cheese.  It grills really well!


Three,  I sprinkled a bit of Garlic Herb Seasoning on the buttered side of each slice of bread. This adds even more delicious flavour to an already tasty sandwich!


I also use a mix of cheeses . . .  a slice of really nice melty cheese such as gouda or edam, and some grated cheddar.  I use a mix of white and orange for colour, strong cheddar of course as it has the most flavour!


Altogether this makes for one very delicious sandwich indeed, with lots of crisp buttery flavour filled crevices and crunch . . .  lots of oozingly tasty melted cheese and a hint of garlic butter flavour, except it's not butter  . . .  its low fat mayo.  This was quite simply a winner, and great for dipping!!



*Waffled Grilled Cheese*
Makes 1
 
My take on what is becoming a very popular sandwich with lots of crisp buttery crevices and cheese ooze.  Todd likes his with tomato ketchup and I like mine with veggie sticks. You will need a waffle iron for these. 

2 slices of sourdough bread
(My local shop just started making a sliced sourdough loaf
which works great)
1 heaped TBS of low fat mayonnaise
garlic Italian seasoning
1 slice of melting cheese like gouda or edam
30g of grated cheddar cheese (1/4 cup)
(I used a mix of orange and white)

 
Heat your waffle iron.  Butter the outsides of two slices of bread with the mayonnaise and lightly sprinkle with the garlic seasoning.  Place one slice buttered side down into centre of the waffle iron.  Top with the grated cheddar and then top the grated cheddar with the slice of melting cheese. Top the whole lot with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.  Close the waffle iron and cook until golden brown and the cheese is nicely melted.   Serve immediately.


Look at that delicious ooze.  I am a bit embarassed showing you something so simple, but at the end of the day, not all meals need to be gourmet and sometimes a grilled cheese with a mug of soup and some crisp crudites does the job beautifully!  Bon Appetit!


4 comments

  1. Hi Marie, I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it and I hope every thing clears up quickly.
    I have a question about the seasoning. Is this the same as your make your own Italian herb seasoning? I don't have a waffle iron but I think this would be tasty even made without one.
    We had beef vegetable soup my husband had made some time ago for our dinner tonight. He thought of adding some of those tortellini filled pasta which we'd bought at Costco. The combination was delicious. He doesn't like them just served with sauce so it's a good way to use them up. Best wishes from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, so nice to hear from you! Yes it is the same seasoning as the make your own one. You are right, this is great just done in a skillet as well. I wanted to try the waffle thing for a change, and was pleased with the results. Your soup sounds lovely! Todd hates pasta of any kind. He's not normal! lol xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Monique, but I don't think I invented it. I am sure I have seen it somewhere before, but not sure where. I did add the seasoning, mayo and two types of cheese however! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!