Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Monday 12 December 2016


We had the Missionary Elders for supper about a week ago now I guess.  I really like to feed them and I like to serve them things which are a big different than what they might get in other people's homes.  I never cook a roast dinner for them.  I figure they get enough of them, and I know they are greateful for every meal they get, but I like to treat them to something a bit different like these Sweet and Sour Meatballs, which I have to tell you, went down a real treat! 




I make my meatballs with both minced pork and beef and a combination of seasonings, egg, milk and dry bread crumbs.  You could use instant gluten free oats instead of bread crumbs for those who are gluten intolerant to make a gluten free dish. 


I don't like to fry my meatballs.  This only creates mess and adds fat.  I bake them on a baking tray.  If you wanted to you could do this part the day before and just finish everything off when you were ready to cook the finished dish for a really quick entree.


The sauce is really delicious  . . .  with pineapple juice, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and brown sugar . . .  I also add a bit of hot sauce for some snap.  I use Siracha because it has some garlic in it, and I add pineapple chunks for an extra fruity touch.   The meatballs are baked for a short time in this sauce until they are really nicely glazed.  YUM!


Altogether this is one very delicious dish and always goes down a real treat with anyone I make it for.  You can serve it with either plain steamed rice or fried rice.  I make my own fried rice and that is what I did on the day.  They loved the whole combination!



*Sweet and Sour Meatballs*
Serves 4 to 6
A sweet and tangy sauce with tender meatballs.  I like to serve this with my homemade fried rice, but plain rice is also good. 

For the sauce:
510ml pineapple juice (2 14 cups
100g soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup Packed)
120ml rice wine vinegar (1/2 cup)
4 TBS tomato ketchup
1 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS cornflour (cornstarch)
1 TBS hot sauce (I like Siracha)
1 cup drained tinned or fresh pineapple chunks
a handful of spring onions, finely sliced (about 6)

For the meatballs:
3/4 pound lean ground beef
3/4 pound lean ground pork
60g fine dry bread crumbs (1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder (not salt)
1/2 tsp onion powder (not salt)
1 large free range egg beaten with 120ml milk (1/2 cup milk)
1 TBS dry parsley flakes





First make the meatballs.  preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a large baking tray really well.  Set aside.

Mix all of the ingredients together well with your hands.  Shape into 1 inch balls.  Place 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.   Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown.  Take out of the oven and set aside.  Turn the oven down to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Place the meatballs into a casserole dish.
Whisk 450ml (2 cups) of the pineapple juice together in a saucepan along with the brown sugar, ketchp and soy sauce.  Heat gently.  Whisk together the remaining pineapple juice and the cornflour.  Whisk this into the hot mixture and cook, whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and begins to thicken.   Stir in the pineapple and hot sauce.  Pour this over the meatballs in the casserole dish, turning them to coat them well and mix all together.  Bake in the heated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so until the sauce has nicely thickend and coated the meatballs well with a glaze and the meatballs are cooked entirely through.   Scatter with the spring onions and serve.




I often will make these meatballs ahead and freeze them  on a baking sheet I have lined with cling film.  I double or triple the recipe.  Once frozen you can pack them into zip lock baggies, in meal size portions,  and keep them frozen and ready to take out whenever you need them.  Just add to the sauce, bang into the oven and cook until the meatballs are heated through and everything is scrummy delish!
Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. I used to serve a version of these as munchies for Christmas..apps before dinner..dangerously good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love to be with your family before Christmas Monique! I am sure that the food is so good and the company spectacular! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!