Toad in The Hole

Tuesday 29 November 2016

Toad in The Hole






I think Toad in the Hole has to be one of my husband's favourite meals.   Just in case you are wondering what Toad in the hole is . . .  it is a traditional British dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables.  



You can dress it by adding herbs to the batter or onions, etc.  but basically it is just sausages and a pudding batter baked together. Simple.


Toad in The Hole






I like to keep it pretty basic, although from time to time I do wrap my sausages in bacon, like I have done here today.   Its a simple thing, but tastes so good. 





Toad in The Hole





The main thing is to use a good quality sausage. Nothing cheap and nasty.  I have been favouring gluten free sausages lately.  They seem to be meatier.  Not a lot of fillers I guess.  




Toad in The Hole






And I always use dry cure bacon.  You can use smoked or non-smoked.  



I like the smoked myself, but its nice to have choices I think.   This recipe here today serves two hungry people, (or three with regular appetites) but can easily be doubled to serve more.





Toad in The Hole





You can make your gravy from scratch or use Bisto.  Todd really likes the Bisto.  And he loves mashed potatoes with his.  


You can't go wrong.  Crisp batter pudding . . .  crispy herby sausages and bacon . . .  good gravy, mash and vegetables.  This be comfort food at its very best! 

And best of all . . . it is such a simple supper.



Toad in The Hole







*Toad in the Hole for Two*
Serves 2 generously 
 
 
 
A delicious family favourite downsized for the smaller family.  Serve hot, straight from the oven with some hot gravy creamy mash and veg on the side. 
 

6 chipolata sausages
(I use the gluten free ones)
6 slices of smoked streaky dry cure bacon
70g plain flour (1/2 cup) sifted
pinch salt
1 large free range egg, beaten
75ml semi skimmed milk (1/3 cup)
75ml water (1/3 cup)
coarsely ground black pepper 
 


Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.  Have ready a 7 by 9 inch casserole dish which you have sprayed with low fat cooking spray.  Wrap each sausage tightly in a slice of bacon and arrange in the prepared dish.  Place in the oven for 15 minutes, until just beginning to brown. 
 

While the sausages are cooking sift the flour into a bowl along with a pinch of salt.  Make a well in the centre.  mix the milk and water together.  Drop the beaten egg into the centre of the flour and then gradually beat in half of the milk/water mixture with a wooden spoon.  Beat for 2 minutes until smooth, then gradually whisk in the remaining milk/water mixture until you have a smooth batter which has the consistency of cream.   Season with coarsely ground black pepper. 
 

Remove the sausages from the oven and quickly pour the batter around them.  Return to the oven and bake for a further 30 to 35 minutes until the batter is well risen and golden brown. 
 

Serve hot straight from the oven as above.   Yum!





Toad in The Hole





Simple.  Easy. Delicious. Comforting.  What more could you want?  Bon Appetit!

12 comments

  1. This looks so good, Marie. Especially as the days get shorter and colder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect for this time of year Carol! xo

      Delete
  2. It must be over 50 years since I has Toad in the Hole. Maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no time like the present Cro Magnon! xo

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have seen a heartier presentation Marie:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love toad-in-the-hole. If there's one food thing I miss about England, it's the sausages! So delicious and there's great variety.(Cumberland sausages are fun!) I have found nothing in the US that can compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cumberlands are my favourites Denise! have you tried making your own? I love British Bangers and would miss them if we couldn't get them for sure. xo

      Delete
  5. Great memories of having this at the Wellington pub before a showing of The Lion King at the Lyceum Theater next door. We will try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it PWJ. At l east I hope you do! xo

      Delete
  6. i am a british expat in the US. I have lived in NH for 13 years now and have yet to find any pork sausages here like in the UK. The closest i can find tastewise are little breakfast sausages! What i wouldnt give for a british sausage. I wondered, being from over here and now living in the UK, if you could advise me on any particular brand of sausages to use that taste similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, I am afraid there is nothing really like the British sausage in America. I did find this however and you might be in luck if you can get to Costco and they also sell online: http://www.balsonbutchers.com/
      Good luck and let me know how you get on! You could also have a go at making your own? xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!