Creamy Lemon Rice

Tuesday 3 May 2016

 photo DSCN6725_zpsqdsskoaw.jpg

This may not look like much  . . . its just rice after all, but don't let the simplicity of it fool you into thinking it isn't very special!  This is a fabulous side dish!

 photo DSCN6726_zpscnwrupav.jpg

This was a very popular side dish that I used to make for dinner parties when I cooked at Brenchly Manor.  They all loved it.  It went very well with fish or chicken and even steak.

 photo DSCN6727_zps00fbbogx.jpg

It was rich, a bit indulgent and so very delicious.  It has a nice zesty lemon flavour!

 photo DSCN6728_zpsgsteyvhu.jpg

Its creamy and buttery . . .

  photo DSCN6729_zpso1amsnpw.jpg

Even the leftovers are delicious.  I made this the other night when we had the Missionaries over and it went down a real treat!  I served it with my Chicken Savoyard.  Altogether the meal was very much enjoyed!

 photo DSCN6730_zpsjkivwsux.jpg


*Creamy Lemon Rice*
Serves 8 to 10

This was a dish I made frequently for the dinner parties I cooked for at the manor.  It was very popular.  You can leave out the cream if you wish and it will still be dleicious.  It is a rich and indulgent dish. 

125g of unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
420g of uncooked, long grain white rice (2 cups)
the grated zest of 2 lemons
750ml of chicken broth, boiling (3 cups)
1 tsp salt
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
250ml of double cream (1 cup)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
chopped parsley to garnish 



 photo DSCN6731_zpscjbvfmxr.jpg

Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat.  Stir in the rice and lemon zest.  Cook, stirring, until the rice becomes opaque, about five  minutes.  Add the chicken stock and the salt, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.  Stir in the lemon juice.  Slowly stir in the cream, continuing to stir over low heat until all of the cream has been absorbed.  Season to taste and serve immediately.

 photo DSCN6733_zpsg6n1qtyv.jpg

Note - if you have leftovers, they can successfully be reheated in the microwave.

 photo SAM_6716_zpseb03a8e4.jpg

Chicken Savoyarde is  a lovely creamy dish that has the most delicious sauce, which is creamy, cheesy and also quite indulgent.

 photo DSCN6712_zpsafkkzmt6.jpg

A good whisk makes all the difference when you are creating the sauce, in order to ensure the end result is lump free.  I just love these Mini Silicone Flat Whisks by Eddingtons.  They have a rust proof stainless steel handle, and a silicone wire end which is suitable for use on non-stick and is heat resistant up to to 260 degrees C..  They come in Green, Blue, Red and Purple.  I love these flat whisks and have been using a wire one for years now.  I was really pleased to see them with silicone ends now.  I don't have to worry about scratching my good pans with them!  You can purchase them via Whisk Cooking Solutions for only £4.99.

 photo DSCN6711_zpslqby7bke.jpg

These are really a very nice and affordable piece of kit!

Bon Appetit!


4 comments

  1. I have made something similar and it was great..I thnk mine had feta too. and spinach..will look it up..you must have made so many dinner guests there so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you posted about your meal, I searched your blog for the lemon rice recipe (I already make the Chicken Savoyarde regularly), but drew a blank. Now I know why.

    It sounds absolutely delicious and ideal to serve with that chicken. I'm going to have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOps, sorry about that Marie! Hope I'm forgiven! I hope you do make it and that you do enjoy it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!