Bagel Hole Eggs

Friday 26 February 2016

 photo DSCN5480_zps38mxb4bi.jpg

I have to confess that, aside from feeding the Missionaries, I haven't been doing a great deal of cooking lately.  I've been quite tired and not really feeling all that well.  No appetite.  We are having the Elders for tea tonight and I am making them a curry, but for Todd's lunch I  cooked him delicious Bagel Hole Eggs!  Like Egg in the hole, but with a bagel instead of bread.  ☺

 photo DSCN5481_zpsfssxftih.jpg

Todd really loves eggs and he really enjoyed this.  I liked it because it was simple and quick to make.

  photo DSCN5482_zps2rcwbzqa.jpg

I used whole wheat bagels because that is the way we roll around here . .  but you could use whatever kind of bagels you want to.

 photo DSCN5483_zpsk4dlkkai.jpg

I'm not quite sure how cinnamon and raisin bagels would work . . .  to each their own, but I am thinking that onion and garlic bagels would be awesome.

 photo DSCN5484_zpsv8ht0cpf.jpg

A few slices of bacon or frizzled ham on the side would also not go amiss . . .

 photo DSCN5485_zps4dfyvbyu.jpg

This would be great for a family weekend breakfast!  Or for when the kids have a friend stay overnight!
 Enjoy!

  photo DSCN54801_zpsxfwhrge2.jpg

*Bagel Hole Eggs*
Serves 2

This is like fried bread but with an egg in the middle.  Delicious. 

1 whole wheat bagel
1 TBS butter
2 large free range eggs
flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 


 photo DSCN5488_zpsgi4ewdzc.jpg

 
Using a serrated bread knife, slice the bagel through the centre horizontally.  I try to use bagels with large holes.  If you don't think your holes are large enough, then you can make the hole a bit larger by removing some of the bread.


Melt 1/2 TBS of the butter in a nonstick skillet.  Once it begins to foam, place one bagel half into the melted butter, cut side down. into the skillet.  Crack one of the eggs into a bowl.  Pour into the bagel hole.  If some spills over that is to be expected. It's okay.  Cover and cook over medium heat until the egg is set to your preference.  Transfer to a plate and keep warm in a low oven.   Repeat with the remaining butter, bagel half and egg.   Once you have both cooked, season them with some salt and black pepper and serve immediately.

Adapted from a recipe I saw on Food 52

Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. Oh, this looks good, and fun! I just love eggs too... this looks like a nice, easy breakfast or lunch! So sorry you're not doing/feeling so well, Marie... I pray you will be feeling better soon... ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Perhaps you and TJ could indulge in one of these at the weekend! Love and hugs right back! xo

      Delete
  2. Love eggs..always loved eggs in a hole :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great Monique, I am thinking the Alphabet boys would enjoy as would Jacques, perhaps with some of his homemade sausages/cured meats?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!