Oatmeal Cookie Dough Nut Butter

Thursday 27 March 2014



 photo SAM_3832_zps809aa0e8.jpg

My sister is always creating something interestingly tasty.  She is really into healthy eating and tries to encourage me the same.  She likes raw food and makes all kinds of raw food goodies, and she ferments her own sauerkraut, and makes her own beef jerky, etc.

  photo SAM_3824_zps756f5509.jpg

A few days ago she shared this recipe she found for a tasty raw nut butter and I was so intrigued by both the pictures of it and the list of ingredients that I just had to make some for myself.   I mean . . . with a name like Oatmeal Cookie Dough Nut Butter . . . how could I resist??

 photo SAM_3825_zps2bc2f058.jpg

It's made from all natural and raw ingredients . . . dried organic raisins and dates, raw cashews (yum) and macadamia nuts (double yum!) . . .  raw honey (I couldn't get this so I used organic liquid honey), raw organic coconut and coconut oil, with a few other additions like cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and some pink himalayan salt.  I already had everything in my cupboard.  She'd talked me into getting coconut oil and the salt a while back.  I was glad for another reason to use it.

 photo SAM_3827_zpsecfc6c4d.jpg

The recipe is adapted from a blog called The Healthy Foodie.   It is a goldmine of healthy recipes.   If I hadn't already been intrigued by the name of the butter . . .  the picture of it alone would have convinced me that it was something I had to try.   You will need a food processor for this.  I used my mini food processor and cut all of the ingredients in half and it turned out beautifully.  Next time I will make the full recipe and use my full sized processor.

 photo SAM_3828_zps45df9355.jpg

I do confess I could not resist tasting it right after I made it and it tasted wonderful even then, but 24 hours later it is magically delicious!  Nice and thick and perfect for enjoying on crackers, or toast . . . or by the spoonful.   (SO I'm a glutton.  I freely admit it!)  I do hope that you will give it a go.  It has flavours not unreminiscent of a delicious caramel spread we used to be able to get when I was a girl.  It is going to be a regular thing around this house! 

 photo SAM_3826_zps6cb2ca11.jpg

*Oatmeal Cookie Dough Nut Butter*
Makes 2 cups


Adapted from a recipe found on www.thehealthyfoodie.com.  It's moreishly delicious and very healthy too!! 

75g of sultana raisins (1/2 cup)
75g of pitted dates
60g of walnuts (1/2 cup)
150g of unsweetened shredded coconut (1 cups)
(I used hungry jacks organic dessicated unsweetened coconut)
120g of raw macadamia nuts (1 cup)
60g of raw cashew pieces (1/2 cup)
110g of coconut oil (1/2 cup)
118ml of liquid honey, unpasteurized if possible (1/2 cup)
1 TBS pure vanilla extract
1/3 tsp himalayan salt (can use sea salt)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg  


 photo SAM_3830_zps415e0704.jpg   


Put the raisins, dates and walnuts in the bowl of your food processor.  Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles very coarse pebbly sand.  Scrape out and set aside.  Measure the coconut, macadamia nuts, cashew pieces and coconut oil to the food processor.   Process until you have a very smooth and creamy mixture.  This will take approximately 8 to 10 minutes.  Scrape down the sides occasionally Add the honey, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process for a further minute until well combined.  Return the fruit mixture to the food processor and pulse once or twice just to combine.  Scrape the mixture into a clean and sterile jar with a lid.  Cover tightly and allow to rest for 24 hours prior to using.   This will give it time to firm up and for the flavours to meld together.  This is fabulous!

8 comments

  1. Hi Marie, Long time fan and lurker on your fabulous blog. I've made so many recipes from your site and they are always a success and delicious and pop right into my rss feeder where I save them. :) Thank you! I'm going to try this one for sure, but am allergic to coconut. Will flaked almonds work, or should I/can I rather leave the coconut out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Lurker! Always nice to find a new friend! I am not sure about using flaked almonds instead of coconut, especially where there is also coconut oil used. Unless you could find another semi solid oil that would work well, then almond meal might work fine. Perhaps ghee??? YOu may need to keep it in the refrigerator in that case. Let me know how you make out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I did not see the coconut oil, thank you for mentioning it. I love your idea of almond meal and ghee, sounds perfect. I'll certainly let you know how it turns out but looking at the listed ingredients ... it's just got to be yummy. Heartfelt thanks! Lurker/aka Terese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terese!! I am looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie, Terese here. I have just put the last few ingredients in and tasted the nut butter ... ohhhh my goodness. It is fabulous! I used slivered raw almonds instead of the cup of coconut (3/2 cup)and used 1/4 cup almond oil and 1/4 cup peanut oil instead of the coconut oil. (I just used the almond oil that separated in our almond butter, same with the peanut oil.) This will be a standard spread in our home for sure. Thank you so much! Now we just have to let it sit until tomorrow ... that's going to be the only difficult part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terese, I know! Letting it sit overnight is the hard part! Oh, but it is worth it. So delicious! I made cinnamon almond butter the other day that is gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!