Almond Crescents

Thursday 6 February 2014



 photo SAM_2955_zpsd6bf620c.jpg

A good friend of mine had a knee replacement done about a week and a half ago.  We were going to visit her today to see how she is doing and help break the monotony of being largely immobile and so I decided I wanted to bring her some little treat. 

  photo SAM_2958_zpsa7b29292.jpg

At first I was going to bake her some muffins and then I thought . . . maybe muffins would be too much . . . or they would get all squished in the car, or not be at their best by the time we got there.  I love muffins best when they are fresh out of the oven.

 photo SAM_2962_zps52805eab.jpg

That's when I decided to bake her some cookies.  Not kid cookies.  Grown up cookies.   Cookies meant for dunking.   Out of the ordinary cookies.  Not a chocolate chip in sight.  (Although I am a big fan of those myself!)

  photo SAM_2968_zpsd9c7f219.jpg

I decided to make these lovely almond crescents.  They're buttery and crisp  and stogged full of almonds. . . with a crunchy sugar coating of granulated sugar, which bakes on whilst they are in the oven . . . but that is not all . . . no . . . that is not all.

 photo SAM_2969_zpsf90c9553.jpg

They are deliciously rolled in vanilla flavoured icing sugar when they come out of the oven and are still hot, so that the sugar kinds of melts into them.   Another layer of scrum.  Then, there is a final dusting of plain icing sugar that makes them all pretty and nice.   Let's just say they were very much welcomed!

  photo SAM_2961_zps78cf6c5b.jpg  

*Almond Crescents*
Makes about 2 dozen


Buttery and crisp, with a crisp granulated sugar coating and almost shortbread-like texture.  Nutty and sweet.  

65g of ground almonds (1/2 cup almond meal)
65g of sifted icing sugar (1/2 cup)
115g of unsalted butter, room temperature (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pure almond extract
pinch salt
140g plain flour (1 cup)
95g granulated sugar
vanilla icing sugar
plain icing sugar to dust  

 photo SAM_2965_zpse27ca5fa.jpg


Cream the butter with a wooden spoon until light and creamy.   Mix the ground almonds and icing sugar together and stir this into the creamed butter until well combined.   Beat in the extracts and salt until well combined.   Add the flour and mix it in thoroughly and the dough begins to clump together.  

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line a couple of baking sheets with some baking parchment.     

Put the granulated sugar into a bowl.   Scoop out cookie dough and shape into 1 inch balls.   Roll the balls into even cylinders and then shape into crescents, tapered at the ends.   Roll them in the granulated sugar and then place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each.  

Bake for  8 to 10 minutes, flipping the baking sheets halfway through the baking time.   The edges should be light brown when done.   Remove from the oven.  Have a small bowl of the vanilla icing sugar read and roll the still warm cookies in this.  Place them on a wire rack to cool completely.   Dust lightly with plain icing sugar.  Store in an airtight container. 

The recipe only makes about 2 dozen . . . but taste one and you will realize how very dangerous it would be to have more than that around.  Absolute scrum!

4 comments

  1. They remind me of a little Christmas dessert I make..I must check:)
    Regardless..they look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Greek neighbour in Adelaide who made something similar (I think they are called Kourabiedes) and I loved them. Although the first time I ate them I inhaled too much icing sugar and had a coughing fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! Gorgeous biscuits - nothing beats almond biscuits. The almonds give a beautiful sublet flavour.

    Chloe & Sarah
    www.honeyandlulu.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Marie, I have done the same with the Greek cookies. These are slightly different, but both are good yes? I Love this type of cookie!

    MOnique I make a similar one at Christmas called snowball cookies!

    Chloe, Sarah, Honey and Lulu, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!