Pot Roasted Loin of Pork and the Le Creuset Cast Iron Challenge

Monday 6 May 2013

 photo cast_iron_round_casserole_24cm_cerise_1_zpsb30c82b3.jpg

Several months ago I was contacted by McArthurGlen (Designer Outlet) and asked if I would like to participate in the Le Creuset Cast Iron Challenge.  Of course I jumped at the chance.  I just love Le Creuset cookware, and I love a challenge!  Win/win!

My gift for participating, a 20cm round Le Creuset Casserole Dish in my favourite colour Cerise!  Just call me a happy camper.  Beginning May 13th, people will be able to vote for my recipe via this link on the McArthurGlen website!  Here is the link!  The winner of the challenge will win £250 gift voucher for Le Creuset products, and each vote via twitter will be put into a draw for a £50 gift voucher.

The recipe I have developed for this challenge is Pot Roasted Loin of Pork with a Prune, Apricot and Ginger Stuffing.  I have been doing a Prune Stuffed Loin of Pork for years, which is very flavourful, easy to do, and impressive.   I have updated it a bit for this challenge.

 photo Porkbutterfliedandspreadwithstuffing_zps48f7e04e.jpg

First of all I decided to remove the rind from the roast.  I then butterflied it, which is very easy to do.  I give some very precise instructions in the recipe.

 photo Meatrolledandreadytotie_zpsfc179dd0.jpg

I adapted my stuffing to include not only prunes, but dried apricots, some garlic, ginger root and thyme, all of which bring out and enhance the flavour of pork beautifully and add a wonderful moistness.  As pork loin is a very lean meat this is important.

 photo Readytogo2_zpse37aad1f.jpg

I spread the stuffing over the cut surface of the pork and then rolled it up.  Not too tightly as you want to leave a bit of room for expansion and you don't want the stuffing to leak out.  Then I tied it with bakers twine to hold it all together.

 photo SAM_6076_zpsd1afba95.jpg

I then created a lovely rub, using  powdered ginger, fine sea salt, black pepper and thyme which I rubbed all over the surface of the meat.  Don't forget the ends!  They benefit from the rub as well.

 photo SAM_6083_zps83f55075.jpg

I place the stuffed and rubbed pork loin on a bed of sliced onion in the casserole dish, added some beef stock, covered it and then roasted it for about half an hour.  I then removed the lid and roasted it for a bit longer,  about 45 minutes for a two pound pork loin.

 photo SAM_6090_zpsf496278b.jpg

The end result was a perfectly cooked pork loin, filled with fabulous flavours, and presenting beautifully . . . you have a ring of succulent, moist pork, long with a beautifully bejewelled ring of delicious fruity stuffing.  The drippings were used to make a tasty gravy/sauce to go along with the meat.  (Again very easily cooked in the casserole dish.  That's what I love about Le Creuset . . . Stove top to oven, and vice versa!)

 photo SAM_6092_zps84bca3da.jpg

I served it along with some steamed new potatoes (Jersey Royals are in season now), along with some oven roasted carrots, parsnips, swede and sweet potato.  Yumm!!

 photo SAM_6082_zpsd4fc305a.jpg

I think you will agree that this is a meal that would be fit for serving to company.  It's so easy to make, and quick to put together, and the best thing about that is the presentation is so beautiful they will think you slaved all day over a hot stove to do it.  They don't need to know you didn't. ;-) It can be our little secret.

 photo SAM_6073_zps2482668e.jpg

*Pot Roasted Loin of Pork with a Prune, Apricot and Ginger Stuffing*
Serves 6

Printable Recipe

Delicious loin of pork, butterflied,  stuffed with a savory fruited stuffing, rolled and roasted.  Tender, delicious and filled with flavor.   This is not so hard to do as you would think.  Soon to become a family favourite.
Something deliciously different for the Sunday Lunch crowd!

1 (2-pound) boneless pork loin
salt and black pepper

For the Stuffing:
12 dried apricots, chopped
12 dried pitted prunes, chopped
1 tsp of finely chopped fresh ginger root
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme

For the rub:
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp fine black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 medium onion, peeled and sliced

500g beef stock (about 3 cups)
3 TBS plain flour
pinch ground ginger
125ml milk or white wine (1/2 cup)

The first thing you will have to do is to butterfly the pork.  This is very easy to do.   Remove any of the string which it has been tied with and discard.   Carefully, using a sharp knife, remove any crackling rind and discard.  Working very carefully begin cutting through one side of the loin about 1 inch down and working from right to left, almost all the way to the other side, stopping about an inch from that edge.  Turn the meat around and cut down about 1 inch and then begin cutting back to the side you started at, again stopping about an inch from the edge.  You should now be able to open it up flat.  Open it flat and sprinkle it lightly with some salt and pepper.

Combine all of the ingredients together for the stuffing.  Spread it out evenly over the cut surface of the meat.  Roll it up tightly and then tie it at even intervals with some butchers twine to hold it together.  Don't tie it too tightly.

Mix together all of the ingredients for the rub.   Rub mixture all over the pork, remembering the ends.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Have ready a large flameproof casserole dish.  Place the sliced onion in the bottom of the casserole.   Place the stuffed pork roll on top.  Pour the beef stock into the casserole dish.  Cover with the lid.  Roast in the heated oven for 30 minutes.   Remove the cover.  Return the casserole to the oven and roast, uncovered for an additional 35 to 40. minutes.  The roast should by that time be cooked through and nicely colored.  Remove the roast from the pan and set aside on a plate to rest.  Cover lightly with foil and keep warm.

Place the casserole on top of the stove and add the white wine.   Bring to the boil and boil for about 5 minutes,  Reduce to a simmer.   Whisk in the flour and ginger, working quickly and whisking constantly to help prevent lumps. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.  Strain into a gravy boat.

Remove the butchers twine from the pork and cut into slices to serve.  Pass the gravy at the table.  I like to serve this with some boiled new potatoes and roasted root vegetables.  Delicious!

7 comments

  1. i've made pork loin a few times in a dutch oven...on low heat for an extended period, on high heat for a short time...marinated, stuffed and rolled. I haven't really enjoyed the result. Next time I'm going to try the crock pot...even though I usually don't like anything in a crock pot. Maybe a pork loin needs a crock pot. If that doesn't make it melt in your mouth worthy I'm thinking maybe a pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not cook this on top of the stove fifty. I roasted it in oven, with broth, and I did not over cook it. The end result was perfect! Flavourful, succulent, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Pork loin is a favorite at our house as is Le Creuset! My Le Creuset is the workhorse in my kitchen....we would love this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie,
    I have a pork loin in my freezer waiting for a moist recipe. The first one I cooked was too dry and tough. This has to be better. I do appreciate you. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! We love pork in this house so a definite must try with my new Le Creuset pot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, thinking of you and your mom. Best of luck for creating this wonderful pork loin recipe. I have voted, am following you on Twitter and your blog. Have so enjoyed your recipes which were shared by Marty Taylor at Welcome Home on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! It is rather tasty if I do t say so myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!