Potato Pizza

Monday 18 March 2013

   photo SAM_5428_zps267e013e.jpg

I have a husband who declares he does not like Italian food . . . what he really means is he doesn't like pasta or pizza . . . I still haven't been able to convince him that Italians eat a lot more than pasta and pizza.

 photo SAM_5430_zpsf7498e92.jpg

Me, on the other hand . . . I just adore pasta and pizza.   I treat myself to some every once in a while.  Today though I was able to make a pizza that satisfied my pizza hating husband's appetite, and in face he went back for seconds.

 photo SAM_5435_zps044233c0.jpg

Yes, I do believe I have found a way to get the Toddster to like pizza.    You cover it with mashed potatoes, bacon, onions and cheese.

  photo SAM_5437_zpsc1230962.jpg

It's kind of like a pastie . . . sorta, but with the filling on the outside.  Well, there isn't cheese in a pastie technically . . . but why quibble about the details.

  photo SAM_5439_zpse459d6c8.jpg

The important thing was he was eating it . . . AND enjoying it!   That was good enough for me!
You take your blessings where you find them.

  photo SAM_5432_zps79831185.jpg

*Potato Pizza*
Makes 8 servings
Printable Recipe

You CAN have both worlds and eat it.   The one way to get my pizza hating hubbie to love pizza.


One 12 inch unbaked pizza crust

For the Potatoes:
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic, crushed
freshly ground black pepper

Topping:
1 pound of bacon lardons, or chopped pancetta
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 small red bell pepper, trimmed and chopped
6 ounces grated strong cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups)
6 ounces grated mozzarella cheese (1 1/2 cups)
3 TBS finely grated Parmesan cheese

  photo SAM_5440_zpsa4c20ce8.jpg

Put the potatoes into a saucepan and cover with lightly salted water.  Bring to the boil.  Boil until very tender, then drain well and mash together with the milk, salt, cheese, garlic and pepper to taste.  Set aside.

Place the bacon into a large skillet.  Cook until it is partially cooked.  Add the onion and peppers.  Cook, stirring occasionally until the bacon is crisp and the vegetables are tender.  Drain off any fat and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Spread your pizza crust out to a 12 inch circle on a lightly greased pan.  Prick all over the surface with a fork.   Bake for about 15 minutes or until beginning to brown.  Remove from the oven.  Increase the oven temperature to 190*C/375*F/gas mark 5.  Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over top of the partially baked crust.  Sprinkle with the bacon and vegetable mixture.  Combine the cheeses and sprinkle them over top of the vegetable mixture.   Bake for 20 minutes, or until well heated through and the crust is nicely browned and the cheese is melted.

Serve warm and cut into wedges.

6 comments

  1. strange taht pizza has made its' way into our kitchens on 30 odd years and become everydayfood in any country! and with spuds and cheese you can never go wrong...
    Herkkusuun lautasella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious.... and mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this is delicious!
    I love pasta and pizza too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound interesting ! Never thought about using mash on a pizza before, although my wife loves mash ! Maybe something I do as a treat for her but I always end up with lumps in it. I recently got a potato ricer and now I get perfect mash! Will try it and let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to make this on the weekend. I don't eat flesh so I'll omit the bacon but I'm curious as to what is a bacon lardon???

    Jenny
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, a bacon lardon is what they call thick slice streaky bacon which has been cut into small bits. You can buy them all packaged up and rady to use. It is very difficult to find thick slice streaky bacon normally, unless you go to the Butcher and ask for him to cut you a piece of streaky bacon, about 1/2 inch thick. You can then cut that into small cubes. It also comes either smoked or non smoked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!