A Very Good Lemon Loaf

Sunday 17 March 2013

  photo SAM_5390_zps7b9d9b50.jpg

You can never have too many lemons in the house. At least that is my thoughts on the subject. I love lemon anything and so I always have a bowlful of them  sitting on my sideboard.   Aside from cheering me up with their beautiful scent and colour . . . the thought of baking a scrummy treat with them makes me smile.

  photo SAM_5391_zpsd0914ad6.jpg

I love lemon drizzle cake . . . a sweet tart cake, covered with a tart lemon glaze.  Oh so scrummy.  My recipe has the added scrumminess of a streusel topping.

 photo SAM_5392_zps1f798faa.jpg

I also make a great lemon loaf that uses lemon curd as a part of it's batter.  That one is very scrummy too, and moist . . . and stogged full of fresh blueberries.

 photo SAM_5394_zps8e4374e9.jpg

Sometimes though your heart just yearns for a plain old fashioned simple Lemon Loaf . . . one without pretense or fiddly additions . . .

  photo SAM_5396_zps6acce34b.jpg

One that goes together in a flash and bakes into something moist and delicious and moreishly tasty.  This one fits the bill on all those counts.  Seriously.  If you can bear it, let it ripen overnight before slicing.   Trust me when I say this one is more than worth the wait.   Leaving it to ripen overnight, makes it even better.

 photo SAM_5397_zps6fc0acff.jpg  

*A Very Good Lemon Loaf*
Makes one medium loaf
Printable Recipe

Dense and filled with lots of tart lemon flavour.

150g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large free range eggs, at room temperature
190g of golden caster sugar (1 cup)
2 TBS unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon extract
the juice of 1 1/2 lemons (about 80ml, 1/3 cup)
125ml sunflower oil (1/2 cup)
the finely grated zest of one lemon

For the glaze:
130g icing sugar, sifted (1 cup)
2 TBS milk
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 TBS lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf tin and lightly dust with flour.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.  Set aside.

Beat the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon juice together until well combined.  Add the dry ingredients and beat smooth.  Beat in the oil and lemon zest.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.   Bake for 45 minutes, until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let stand in pan for about 5 minutes before tipping out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.   Beat together the glaze ingredients until smooth.  Pour carefully over warm cake.  Allot to set before cutting into slices to serve.

4 comments

  1. i love it!
    Greetings from Wrocław :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are always a big hit at coffee gatherings. I agree with you- a simple, old-fashioned lemon pound cake is exactly what I often crave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this yesterday and what a disaster!! It totally sank in the middle. On re-reading the recipe I think you're conversion of a cup and a half of flour to 150g may be incorrect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ample Cook, so sorry this didn't work for you. The conversion page I use is this one: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

    So far it has always worked well for me, but perhaps I need to rethink the system I use.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!