Pineapple Gingerbread Upside Down Cake

Tuesday 6 December 2011



When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's about the only fresh fruit that made a regular appearance in our house was apples and bananas. Fresh fruit really wasn't all that available in our small town . . . and I expect if it was, it was probably really expensive. We didn't mind that much though . . . my mother always made sure we had lots of tinned fruit.



We really loved it when we would have a dish of ice cream with some peaches or fruit cocktail for dessert. Dang! There never used to be enough cherries in that tin, did there?



I never tasted fresh pineapple until I was an adult, and fresh pineapple is really quite good, I'll admit . . . it's a real treat for me . . . I do love having a variety of tinned pineapple in my larder though . . . sliced, chunks, crushed. It all comes in very handy indeed.



I got this pineapple upside down cake tin a few years ago, and I don't use it nearly enough. It's one of those pans you buy on impulse and then use only a few times . . . but when I do use it, I am always impressed with the results. It just makes the sweetest little pineapple cakes, don't you think?



You can get one for yourself here on Amazon.com in American, or in the UK at de.cuisine. I really should use mine more often. I am thinking that little carrot cakes would be really sweet baked in it.



I really fancied eating some pineapple today, but I didn't have any fresh pineapple in the house . . . it's not something I really keep on hand. I expect nobody does . . . unless they actually live in Hawaii. (What a dear thought that is!)



Anyways, I thought I would make an upside down cake and then I thought, why not use the pan. You don't need one of these special pans to make this delicious cake though . . . any 9 inch round cake tin will do.



This is a fabulously spiced and moist upside down cake. We do love our gingerbread in this house and this is a wonderful way to have it.



You get all the spicy deliciousness of a scrummy gingerbread . . . topped with the added treat of buttery brown sugar glazed pineapple rings . . . oh so yummy.

It's a good thing.



*Pineapple Gingerbread Upside Down Cake*
Makes one 9 inch round cake
Printable Recipe

Spicy gingerbread topped with sweet rounds of pineapple and halved cherries. What's not to like?

For the topping:
4 TBS butter
5 ounces soft light brown sugar (2/3 cup packed)
1 tin of pineapple rings, drained well (you'll need 6 to 8 rings) and patted dry
candied cherries for the centres (optional)

For the cake:
190ml of boiling water (3/4 cup)
125ml of dark molasses (1/2 cup)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
6.5 ounces plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 TBS butter, softened
3.75 ounces soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
1 large egg yolk

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter and flour a 9 inch round non-stick baking pan. Dust with flour lightly and set aside.

Melt the butter for the topping in a medium saucepan over medium heat, until foaming. Stir in the sugar. Turn to low and cook, stirring, for several minutes until the sugar is melted. Pour this into the prepared pan and tilt the pan back and forth to coat. Arrange the drained and dried pineapple slices over top of the sugar mixture, filling the centre in of each one with a cherry.

Measure the molasses into a jug. Pour the boiling water over top and stir. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Set aside to cool. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk. Stir in the flour mixture alternately with the liquid mixture, scraping down the bowl and mixing together well. Pour this over top of the pineapple slices in the pan to make an even layer.

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until well risen and the cake is set and a toothpick inserted iin the centre comes out clean.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack. Allow to stand for five minutes before very carefully inverting onto a plate, replacing any fruit if it becomes dislodged. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, without or without some softly whipped cream.



Over in The Cottage today, some delicious Baked Apples with Mincemeat and Cream.

4 comments

  1. I love gingerbread and pineapple. This is the dessert for me. I keep a bag of frozen pineapple all the time. I use it in smoothies or with yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. because we are both Canadian girls your story rang true for me also.We rarely saw a fresh pineapple, I think I must have been 10 before I saw one, these are lovely Marie , the tin is adorable.I hope you and Todd and mitzie are well and enjoying the preparations up to Christmas, take care, love Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh haa...I came prepared with my little snack today ~ a banana ~ so that I could read your post without druelling or my stomach making obscene noises.
    Wrong...its still complaining. I'm afraid a banana much as I love them, just won't cut the mustard...as they say.
    I remember one of the first things I baked totally on my own was a pineapple upside down cake, so I have a soft spot for them.
    These little cuties look so scrumscious. I can't make them today because I'm having dinner out but they'll go on my to-do list
    ;D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of pineapple upside down cake. You've made it more "WOW" by adding the gingerbread factor! I'm sold on the cute size- thanks for the Amazon link : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!