Family Teatime & Fruit and Nut FlapJacks to die for!

Saturday 3 December 2011

I don't think I've ever made any secret of my great love for cookery books. The Toddster might call it an obsession, but . . . he's not a cook, so what does he know? 'Nuff said! My motto has always been, you can never have too many cookerybooks, and that is that.

Recently Eleanor from Midas PR contacted me to see if I would be interested in reviewing several new cookery books from Flametree Publishing. She didn't have to ask me twice!

They are two companion books and are lovely to behold, with pretty covers (which are easily wipeable . . . a plus when it comes to a cookerybook) and they are just beautiful inside, with absolutely exquisite pictures and illustrations.



The first one I'd like to talk about is called Family Teatime, Recipes, Tips & Treats, a Delicious Collection for Afternoon Tea.

This would be the perfect gift for the foodie in your life, jam packed full of lovely recipes,and tips, alongside household hints, extracts, poems and fun facts.



There is such a delicious assortment that I found it quite hard to pick which one I wanted to try out first! Luciously scrummy treats such as Fruity Apple Tea Bread, Honey Cake, Finger Sandwiches, Chocolate Whirls and Whipped Shortbreads, Fondant Fancies etc., each one sounding and looking more delicious than the last.



Each recipe is outlined with three measurements . . . including measurements by weight, metric and North American cups, which means that there is no guess work or converting involved. (A big plus!) The hard work has already been done for you. As well, each recipe comes with a very tasty looking photo as you can plainly see!



Interspersed between the recipes you will find plenty of fun facts, baking tips, poetry and everything you ever wanted to know about the taking and practice of Afternoon Tea!



The poetic pictures are just beautiful and so very quaint. Included are all the traditions and history of tea and tea taking. I found it all so very fascinating indeed.



Altogether is is a beautiful and very well presented book. I have fallen deeply in love with it. I am sure that if you know anyone who adores Afternoon Tea and all that it entails, they would find this a lovely gift indeed.

Like I said I had a really difficult time deciding which treat I was going to bake first. Everything looked and sounded soooooo scrummy!



I finally settled on the Fruit & Nut Flapjacks, for several reasons. Firstly, I had everything I needed already in the house and wouldn't need to go out shopping for ingredients. I wanted you to be able to do the same. The ingredients called for are simple and uncomplicated.



Secondly, the picture that was with the recipe looked fantastic. So buttery and delicious, but that's not all . . . the recipe seemed to be very simple and uncomplicated . . . something even a child could execute with some supervision.



Thirdly, I have been looking for the perfect flapjack recipe since I arrived over here in the UK. Flapjacks were not something I had ever heard of before I came over here, and I have to say that I have fallen in love with them . . . but most of the recipes that I have tried have been, in all fairness, simply quite disappointing!



These delightful little mouthfuls, I am happy to say, did not disappoint in the least! Oh so buttery and scrummily delicious, with just the right amount of raisins and nuts. (I did substitute pecans for walnuts as I didn't have any walnuts and they were perfectly wonderful!) Plus that lemon drizzle icing sets them off beautifully to the eye and also gives a little extra special something, that would make them quite, quite at home on any elegant teatime table! In short, do not hesitate to make these. You must make them today and then if you can . . . buy the book, because if these tasty little treats are any indication, this book is a winner through and through!



*Fruit & Nut Flapjacks*
Makes 12LinkPrintable Recipe

Delicious little buttery and oaty bites of scrumminess. From the cookery book, Family Teatime, published by Flametree Publishing.

75g/ 3oz/ 6 TBS butter (or magarine)
125g/ 4 oz/ 2/3 cup soft light brown sugar (packed)
3 TBS golden/light corn syrup
50g/ 2 oz/ 1/3 cup raisins
50g/ 2 oz/ 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts (I used pecans. Very yummy)
175g/ 6 oz/ 2 1/3 cups rolled oats (not instant)

To glaze:
50g/ 2 oz/ 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
1-1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Lightly butter a 9 inch square pan. Set aside.

Melt the butter (or margarine) along with the sugar and syrup in a small saucepan over low heat, heating until the sugar no longer feels gritty Don't allow to boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the raisins, nuts and oats, mixing all together well. Spoon evenly into the prepared tin and press down firmly. (I found it was easier to do this with lightly oiled hands.)

Bake in the heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. Cut into bars whilst still warm. Once cool, remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to proceed.

Whisk together the icing sugar and enough of the lemon juice to make a thin icing. Place into an icing bag, fitted with a writing nozzle and pipe thin lines over top of the flapjacks. (I just used a teaspoon and drizzled it over.) Allow to set before serving.

Family Teatime, Recipes, Tips & Treats, a delicious collection for afternoon tea.

Available at Amazon.co.uk for £8.99
ISBN - 13: 978-0-85775-255-0
Published by Flame Tree Publishing, and also available through the same.

Many thanks to Eleanor and FTP for sending me this delightful book. I give this book a rating of 10 out of 10!!



Tune in tomorrow where I will give it's companion volume, Grandma's Recipe Treats equal time. (You're in for a real treat there too!)



I've got a recipe from my Big Blue Binder over at The Cottage today, Mrs McNevin's Goulash.

4 comments

  1. Oh NO! TWO more books for me to sneak in the house past Malcolm's eagle eyes, as they look FABULOUS and I have cookbook envy! I also LOVE flapjacks so that was a GREAT review recipe to make Marie!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love cook books that have pictures with the recipe! That always gives me the extra incentive to try a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flapjacks look delicious! In Alberta flapjacks are of the pancake variety, but I'd love to give this kind a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look absolutely nice dear Marie, I love cook books too dear, how are you?, send you a lot of huggs and love, :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!