Lemon, Limoncello & Raspberry Syllabub

Sunday 3 July 2011



One of my favourite cooking magazines has to be Jamie. I can't wait for it to hit the shelves each month. I really need to subscribe! (I tell myself that every month, and then I forget!) If I don't there will come a month soon that it will be sold out at the newsagents and I won't be able to get my hands on that issue.



I always, always, always end up cooking at least a third of the recipes in the magazine, if not more. That's the truth. His food is fresh, innovative and delicious and there's not an awful lot of faff involved either. Anyone can cook it.

The latest issue is the Barbeque issue/June/July 2011 and it's filled with some lovely stuff.



As soon as I bought it I earmarked several recipes to try. This was one of them. The picture in the magazine looked so fresh and delicious.



I was not disappointed. I always have a bottle of Limoncello in the larder. (Doesn't everyone?) You can easily make your own so it needn't be expensive. Giada has a recipe here. I love fresh raspberries. I love lemons. Combining the two with a creamy limecello spiked syllubub is genius, pure genius!



Just be careful not to overwhip your cream though, or you'll end up having to throw it away. It's really, really important that you only whip it until it is light and frothy. Lemons react with cream and thicken it pronto, so you do NOT want it whipped even until you get soft mounds . . . just light and frothy. Trust me. It will work.

This dessert was light. It was delicious. It was easy. I was quick. In one word . . . Perfect!




*Lemon, Limoncello & Rasberry Syllabub*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Creamy, delicious and refreshingly light (texture that is!). Perfect dessert for after the Barbeque.

70g of caster sugar (a scant 1/3 cup)
the juice of two lemons
100ml of limoncello, plus extra to serve (optional) (1/3 cup)
350ml of double cream (1 1/2 cups)
400g of fresh raspberries (about 3/4 pound)

Place the caster sugar, lemon juice and limoncello into a saucepan. Gently heat over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar completely. Taste and adjust amount of sugar as necessary, if you would like it to be a bit sweeter. Set aside to cool.

Whip the cream just until it is light and billowy. You don't want it to form even soft peaks as it will thicken greatly when you add the lemon syrup. Pour the cooled lemon syrup into the cream, folding it in gently as you go. It will thicken remarkably. You may or may not need it all. You want a softly whipped consistency.

Mash the raspberries lightly with a fork. Gently stir them through the cream to cause a ripple, without over stirring. (You don't want your cream mixture turn pink.

Spoon into shallow glasses and chill until you are ready to serve. If you want you can serve these with an additional splash of limoncello on top. I didn't do this as I had extra lemon syrup and I just drizzled a bit of that on top. Delicious!!

10 comments

  1. Dear Marie I love Jamie recipes, always!! I see at TV now, and love how he cook!
    and this recipe look awesome and delicious!!! have a nice day my dear, huggs to you and Todd, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, divine!
    I havnt made a batch yet this summer, however I make my own limoncello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! What is lemoncello? I have never heard of it. Is it jello? You said you have a bottle of it in the larder. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I prefer Jamies Magazine recipes to his cook books and like you, I end up making the vast majority of them. This one looks fab, love the flavour combo, so summery and light and fresh. Can't wait to try it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE Jamie and that looks LUSH in the culinary sense, not the boozy sense!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend brought us 2 adorable individual pastry shop desserts in little plastic cups w/ lids..I kept them after we ate the delicious contents..This would be great:)
    I trust you Marie..re the cream..

    The potato salad w/ green olives and capers is very good..
    Thanks for the brown sugar clarification..Your oak Cottage post is inspiring:)

    THinking a prayers for your sister..happy for the bunk beds..

    You deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. goodmorning Marie,, I will deliver hugs later, I'm so happy the bunk beds came to fruitition, funny how somethings are just meant to be.The video was very inspirational, you know my daughters husband has been in a wheel chair for 17 yeras after an accident.Its a challenge but he does everything .Your poor sister,, i will keep her in my prayers,, sounds like a hard job for sure .The salad and the desert are both wonderful, I did't know Jamie had a magazine, is it available in Canada or the States I wonder, I love his cooking shows, the one at home the best.I love when he cooks outside, best wishes on your trip Marie and I pray your knees hold up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really enjoying your blog. It makes me miss Europe. I have bookmarked so many recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is lovely...*sigh*... I think I love raspberry time almost as much as strawberry time... And I'll not say no to bit of limoncello... ;o) Happy Day, Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so good! It's creamy, rich but still light and a perfect decadent summer dessert. No-one will believe how easy it is to make either as it takes almost no time to prepare. I followed your advice about whipping the cream carefully and I think the consistency was perfect. We enjoyed it very much and it will be a regular while the raspberries are fruiting. Totally yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!