Malteaser Brownies

Tuesday 28 September 2010



I get a big kick out of the Malteaser commercials on the telly. The idea is that eating Malteasers is really naughty, and so people keep inventing naughty ways and excuses to eat them . . .



Then there are the ones where eating them makes people do naughty things.





I think the funniest one is where these two girls take their sleeping boyfriends and wind their arms around each other so that it looks like they are snuggling together . . . of course it gets really funny when the two unsuspecting fellas wake up and see who they've been cuddling!!



Malteasers are the British Equivalent to North American Malted Milk Balls.



I just love them. I confess . . . when we get a pack of Revells, I weed through them to find all the malteasers so I can eat them all up before anyone else can . . . likewise the malteasers in the tin of Celebrations . . . and . . . yes, I do steal all the nutty ones in the Christmas box of chocolates too. I am a naughty greedy girl . . .



But I also do all the baking and cooking, so it's ok. From where I am sitting, the malteasers in a packet of revells are like the cook's treats, those choice little tender oysters of succulent meat situated on the bottom of a roast turkey or chicken! Us cooks deserve em! We earned em!!



This is what happens when you bake brownies with a bunch of malteasers layered in the centre.

You get Brownies . . . only better.



Fudgy brownies, all gooey and stickily chocolately . . . filled with these scrummy and crunchy little balls . . . malteasers balls,



Moreishly, Malteaserly, naughtily addictive! Seriously.



*Malteaser Brownies*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

The naughty snack.

7 ounces unsalted butter ( a scant cup)
100g of dark chocolate, miminum 60% cocoa solids, broken
up into pieces (3 1/2 ounces)
12 ounces soft light brown sugar (1 3/4 cup packed)
4 large free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g of self raising flour (a scant 2 cups)
pinch of salt
10 1/4 ounce box of malteasers ( malted milk balls)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Brush a 9 inch square tin with butter and line with some parchment paper, allowing it to overhang the sides so that you can easily lift the brownies out when done.

Melt the butter along with the chocolate over very low heat. Once melted remove from the heat and stir in the sugar. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Sift the flour together with the salt and stir into the chocolate mixture. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the malteasers evenly over top, then cover with the remaining batter, making sure the chocolates are totally covered.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the top of the brownies are glossy and set and the middle still a bit squidgy. Leave to cool in the pan before removing and cutting into squares..

13 comments

  1. Like everything you make, this looks wonderful. I love malted milk balls in ice cream so I'm sure I will love these, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE malt balls, Marie! And those commercials are hilarious! I love the idea of putting them in brownies...sounds so yummy!

    I hope you're having a wonderful night, my friend! It's so hot here right now, it hardly feels like fall! Hope it cools down soon...I want to start my fall baking!

    Lots of hugs being sent your way...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum these look like a great addition to brownies. I love the adverts too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE malted milk balls!! What a fab idea! Thanks Marie!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brownies with maltesers - what a great idea! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que idea más buena. Esta me la apunto para no tardar en hacerla.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you little temptress you ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh yummy I love maltesers. Nice ads too!! Putting them in brownies is absolutely genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who do you think will make these one day for 4 small boys:)Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic idea! I might have to stock up on Malteasers next time I'm home and can visit the international food store. Sure, it may cost me $10 for the Malteasers alone but it'll be worth it!

    Just to let you know, I awarded you the "One Lovely Blog Award" on my blog today:
    http://sourkrautkrafts.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Feel free to pass it along to 15 of your favorite blogs or just accept my adoration in silence and leave it at that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good grief they look delicious... I'm a new visitor and am highly enjoying your lovely recipes! It's a bit late to start baking now, otherwise I'd be off to the co-op for Maltesers..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only just discovered your blog and have been inspired to bake these today.

    Loving your recipies.

    Are you on twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  13. First - I LOVE malted milk balls. Yummy.

    Second - those ads are some of the funniest things I've ever seen. My cat is staring at me, wondering why I'm laughing hysterically at my computer. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!