Turkey Cobb Salad

Friday 11 June 2010



Have you heard of the superfoods? All foods have nutritional value, even deep fried Mars Bars, but some foods are so high in nutrients and vitamins that they are known to be superfoods!!



Things like apples, bananas, beans and broccoli. Olive oil, oats and tomatoes. Berries, turkey, nuts, oily fish and avocado. All these foods are so good for you that we should try to get as much of them into our diets as we can!!



We usually have oats for breakfast, along with some berries or bananas. I think we eat tomatoes in one form or another almost every day, and I use olive oil for most purposes. We eat whole grain breads and fish several times a week. I'm not overly fond of mackerel though . . . so it is usually salmon or cod, and sometimes tuna.



This salad is chock filled with super foods! It has turkey, avocados, tomatoes and olive oil in it. Sure, it also has blue cheese and bacon, but hey!! I reckon the superfood quality of the other things kind of outweighs any bad.



It is delicious, Delicious, D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! I could easily eat this every day of the week. Creamy avocado, crunchy lettuce, salty bacon, tangy blue cheese, sweet tomatoes, lettuce and a scrumptious blue cheese mustard vinaigrette that sets it all off perfectly!



*Turkey Cobb Salad*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is a delicious salad which contains no less than 3 of the super foods!! Turkey breast, avocado and tomatoes! Bacon and cheese aside, I reckon it is pretty good for you!

2 TBS white wine vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 TBS good quality mayonnaise
4 TBS olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
8 slices of thick cut bacon
1 head of iceberg lettuce, cored and thinly sliced
2 small avocados, peeled, stoned and cubed
4 small plum tomatoes, chopped
8 ounces cubed turkey breast (1/2 pound)

First make the dressing. Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, oil and a pinch of pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in a quarter of the cheese.

Fry the bacon in a heavy frying pan over medium heat until crisp. Drain well on paper towels, then crumble.

Add the lettuce to the dressing and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide the lettuce amongst 4 chilled plates. Arrange the avocados, tomatoes and turkey on top. Sprinkle with the bacon and the remaining cheese and serve.

The World Cup kicks off today. Don't forget to hop on over to Gordon's page What Should I Have For Dinner Tonight where he is hosting a series of cooking competions throughout the World Cup featuring food bloggers from all over the world! Make sure you tune in tomorrow especially, when My dish representing England will be featured!

6 comments

  1. LOVE Cobb salad! And I'll be watching for your dish tomorrow!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pondering what to serve on these hot summer evenings - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY nice take on a classic, Marie! I especially love all the avocado...mmm... Happy Weekend, my friend--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS)) OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a low carb eater, Cobb Salad is a huge hit here...full of wonderful things that I adore :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tasted avocado! Maybe now would bea good first time?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!