Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Saturday 26 June 2010




Oh how I love strawberry season . . . especially when it comes in conjunction with rhubarb season.




The two combined together is a flavour match made in heaven! What a happy co-inky dink that they ripen pretty much at the same time in our garden!



Lovely sweet berries, soooo fresh and tasty. Nothing could possibly taste better. I reckon if you put two berries side by side, one from a store bought punnet and one from my garden . . . I'd be able to pick the garden grown one every time. Freshest is bestest!




Lovely tart and mouth puckering rhubarb . . .



A short buttery topping . . .





Just the perfect balance of flavours. Sweet, tart and buttery.



I think I've about redeemed myself with Todd, don't you think?




*Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Delicious warm out of the oven or at room temperature, with the perfect mix of tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries beneath a wonderfully crunchy and buttery topping.

For the filling:
600g of rhubarb, cut into one inch pieces
(about 2 cups)
400g of fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
(about 1 quart)
the juice of one lemon
100g of sugar
3 TBS cornflour (cornstarch)
pinch of salt

For the topping:
200g of flour
(about 1 1/3 cup)
1 tsp of baking powder
3 TBS caster sugar
3 TBS demerara sugar
the zest of one lemon
4 ounces butter, melted
(1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon

First make the topping. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, both sugars and the lemon zest. Stir the melted butter together with the vanilla and the cinnamon. Stir this into the flour mixture and mix together with a fork until it clumps, making both large and small bits.

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.

Place the fruit into a bowl along with the flour, sgar and salt. Add the lemon juice and toss together. Dump into a large square baking dish.

Cover the fruit thickly and evenly with the crumble topping. Place on a baking tray and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the crumble topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling beneath. Cover with foil if your topping starts to brown too quickly without the fruit cooking.

Serve warm or at room temperature with lashings of custard, or cream, or not! (As you prefer!)

17 comments

  1. What a classic dessert, that never goes out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this combination, its the taste of summer. Love all the custard too - yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a reason God made them in season together.....oh so good!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. True cold fashion comfort food; love the combination.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. It is inspiring. Thank you.
    Maybe I will try something with blueberries over the next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strawberries and rhubarb go together like love and marriage -- that's what my grandmother said. It's true. I can't wait to do your recipe. It looks delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. Just made a strawberry rhubarb coffee cake to take to a family get-together today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love the rhubarb and strawberry flavour combo. Your crumble looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be my husband's favorite! And I've never made one! So thank you so much for the recipe! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love crumbles, they are a Sunday tradition at home and everytime I go round for a roast dinner, I always look forward to a crumble afterwards! This looks very summery indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm drooling. This looks and sounds sensational. What a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy - another winning one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew only green rhubarb by mistake. Although it tastes the same, it doesn't have the beautiful red color. Time for me to BUY some rhubarb and get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this tonight and just finished my first serving. I'm very happy with this surprisingly easy to execute recipe. So is my boyfriend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super recipe - so tasty and easy to bring together! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!