Rhubarb Custard Pie

Thursday 3 June 2010




Todd and I work pretty hard most days of the week. Wednesday is usually the day we take off though, to do things that we enjoy doing . . . usually together.

This Wednesday was no different. We decided to take ourselves up to the Cheshire Oaks Outlet Mall and just have a look around.



Wow, that place is big. Much larger than I remember it being, although I know that isn't so . . . tis the same size it's always been . . . although we did get lost on the way there . . . and, I'm ashamed to admit, on the way back as well . . . but . . . that's a whole 'nother story . . .



There is everything you could ever hope to dream of in that mall, including a lovely kitchen kitsch store, which I managed to get the most fantastic pepper grinder in. It's called the CrushGrind and it's probably the best pepper grinder I have ever come across . . . the truth, no lie! (and no, I didn't get given one to say that, I had to buy one for myself, although to be sure if they did offer to give me one, I'd deffo take it!)



Anyways, we walked til we dropped and then came back home. I had some rhubarb I needed to use up and I baked a pie. A delicious rhubarb custard pie, one of my absolute favourites ever in this whole wide world. Tart and sweet and incredibly moreishly scrummy. (Yes scrummy is a word.)

Isn't that what everyone does when they have worn themselves out window shopping???



I should have waited longer to cut it . . . but . . . in my defence, if you bake this pie and then taste it, you will know without a doubt why I couldn't wait! (What can I say . . . I'm a glutton . . . meh!)



*Rhubarb Custard Pie*
Makes one 9 inch pie
Printable Recipe

Something deliciously different to do with that glut of rhubarb that is taking over your garden.

short crust pastry to fill a 9 inch pie dish, or
my incredibly easy pat in the pan pastry (see my recipe below)
400g diced rhubarb
(about 3 cups)
100g of caster sugar
(1/2 cup)
2 TBS corn flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 large free range eggs
6 ounces golden syrup (3/4 cup)
1 TBS butter, melted

Either roll out the pie crust to fit your dish, 1/8 of an inch thick and leaving a one inch overhang, or make the recipe as below. If making shortcrust fold the excess dough under and crimp the edges. Chill for half an hour.

If you are making the recipe for the pat in the pan dough, make as instructed and then pat the dough into the dish with your fingers, first along the sides of the pie pan and then across the bottom. Flute the edged decoratively.

Preheat the oven to 230*C/450*F/gas mark 8.

Place the chopped rhubarb into the prepared pie shell. Whisk together the sugar, cornflour and salt. Mix in the egg, beating it in well, and then stir in the golden syrup and the melted butter. Mix well. Pour this evenly over top of the rhubarb in the prepared shell. Bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes. Decrease the oven heat to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4 and bake for 30 to 40 more minutes, until the crust is nicely browned and the rhubarb is tender. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool until the pie is firmed up, about 45 minutes, before serving. Delicious!!



*Pat in the Pan Pie Crust*
Makes enough for one 9 inch pie
Printable Recipe

This is so simple and easy to do and makes an incredibly short, flakey and crisp crust. Works well for any single crust pie. You do not need to roll it out.

210g of plain flour
(1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 ounces vegetable oil
(1/2 cup)
3 TBS cold milk

Whisk the flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Beat the cooking oil and the cold milk together with a fork until it turns quite creamy. Pour all at once into the flour mixture and mix together completely, using the fork, until all the dry mixture is evenly moistened. Pat the mixture into your pie dish with your fingertips, first covering the sides and then the bottom, patting it in evenly. Flute the edges as desired.

You may now fill the shell. If you require a baked pie shell, preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/gas mark 7. Prick it all over with a fork. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Check frequently to make sure it is not overbrowning.

If you are baking the filling in the shell, fill the shell as per the recipe and continue as directed.

22 comments

  1. Is it not the hardest thing to try and wait a few hours to cut into a pie! I feel you pain, looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy! Maybe since it has cooled down a bit, I might be inclined to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks delish Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm drooling here, that pie looks so delicious. I like Cheshire Oaks too, I love the Kitch'n Sync shop, always come out of there with something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my old fashioned favourite recepies is this one Marie Mmmmmm!!! I love rubarb,especially with a small bag of sugar to dip my chunks of it in Heeeeeeee.We were given it by our Mother,to walk to school with,not like todays kids with a pocket full of money for sweets crisps and chocolate etc.Have a great day .Thanks for the memories.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This totally reminds me of my dad. He loved strawberry rhubarb pie. I've never had it with custard. An interesting twist.

    I'm hosting a new meme and do hope you can come join me. It's called "Summer Sundays" and it's all about what summer means to YOU! Maybe dinner on the patio? Whatever it means to YOU. Hope you'll come and join.


    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so timely, Marie! The rhubarb in our garden is perfect about now, and I've been looking for a new recipe for a pie--thank you! What fun your mall adventure--getting to & from...haha... But that kitschy kitchen store some wonderful, I like such places too. :o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YOU!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I have absolutely no patience when I decide I want something, so I totally get it. Lovely pie!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, June and Rhubarb all year long. I would vote for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have just been given some rhubarb already cut up which is in the freezer so I can make this pie. I like making my own custard anyway. I have cooked rhubarb with apple and also plums, both are good. Guess one could include it in the pie.
    Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, this looks delicious and beautiful. While I think nothing of throwing together a French crust, regular pie crust still eludes me!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I noticed your L. M. Montgomery quote. My newest daughter in love adores her and has made the trip to her home. My DIL is a PhD candidate in English.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had rhubard. Didn't know what to do with it if I bought it. Now I do and hope my Dutch grocery store has the ingredients like caster sugar and golden syrup? Never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehehehe - I get lost everytime I try to make it to Cheshire Oaks too, sadly never shopped there though. Odd I know! Love the sound of this recipe - hubby will love it ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenny, you can use regular granulated sugar and corn syrup if that is all you can find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea, my rhubarb is rampant too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so amazingly delicious! I don't have a garden so can't grow my own, but I can't seem to pass a supermarket without buying more rhubarb so I always have plenty to use up! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK Marie, I'll give your sure-fire crust a try when I get settled back into my cottage. It seems fail proof.

    Love your blog,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  19. My sister has a ready-for-eating clump of rhubarb in her garden but has planted an area about 3 metres square with all sorts of varieties of rhubarb - and, tee-hee, she'll end up giving it to moi because she doesn't cook!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dear this look amazing and delicious!!! Happy day dear Marie:))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this and it turned out fab!(Like all your recipes!)Can I just check-is it flour or cornflour that goes in the filling-I put in cornflour as the method says this but the ingredients list says flour. Thanks, Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy you enjoyed Dexter! It should say cornflour! I will fix! Thanks! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!