Red Fruit Crumble

Wednesday 9 June 2010



I found this recipe amongst my many cookery books one day and photocopied it to try. It sounded good and also quick and easy. I can't remember which book it was though . . . I have so many . . . but I suspect it was in one of the Good Food 101 series.



Each week, I go through my books and photo copy the recipes that I want to try in the coming week, and work them into menus. Sometimes I end up using them, sometimes I don't, but it makes Todd happy to see me planning meals and it's good for me to have some sort of idea in my head of what I am going to be doing when I go to the shops to buy in the food for the week.



Sometimes I end up not using all the recipes I have photocopied and so I put them in a file of ones that I want to do later . . . (I am well intentioned!) This recipe was one of those so that's why I can't remember where it came from! DOH!



This crumble was a bit different than most in that you don't have to go to the trouble of rubbing butter into flour. You just melt the butter and then stir in some muscovado sugar and oats. Easy peasy lemon squeasy.



The orignal recipe called for a tin of summer fruits, but I had lots of fresh berries in the house so I used them instead and just added the juice of an orange and some sugar to make up for the syrup in the tin.

It turned out absolutely gorgeous! We loved this and it was sooo easy!! It is now in my file of easy favourites!!



The topping is nutty and buttery and the fruit was just right. With a bit of cream on top it went down a real treat, and I will be making it again for sure! I am thinking that you could use this easy topping with all kinds of fruits! I see it now with some nectarines and raspberries.

Nom Nom!!



*Red Fruit Crumble*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

The topping for this is so easy to put together. It makes the whole dessert a delicious doddle!

4 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
300g tin of summer fruits in syrup
(I used 1 tea mug of blueberries, 1 tea mug of raspberries, 1 tea mug of strawberries, along with the juice of one orange
and a bit of sugar)
4 ounces butter (1/2 cup)
2 ounces light muscovado sugar (1/3 cup)
5 ounces porridge oats (2 1/2 cups)
ready made custard, ice cream or cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/Gas mark 5. Place all of the fruit into a large saucepan along with the juice from the orange and a bit of sugar. (If using the tinned fruit add the tin of fruit, undrained) Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the apples are cooked, stirring occasionally. This should take 12 to 15 minutes. Pour this mixture into a shallow gratin dish.

Melt the butter and then stir in the muscovado sugar and the porridge oats. Mix together well and then spoon this over top of the fruit in the dish.

Bake for 20 minutes, until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve warm with some custard, ice cream or cream.

My friend Gordon of What Should I Have For Dinner Tonight is having a slam up Event over the next few weeks in honor of the World Cup!

Quoted from his page:

On Friday the 11th of June, the biggest sporting event of all, the FIFA World Cup, kicks off in its nominated destination for 2010, South Africa. This is the first time that the four-yearly tournament has ever been held on the African continent and it is likely to prove to be something special, for that fact alone.

As advised a couple of weeks back, I have decided to invite and engage the assistance of a number of food writers from around the world to showcase their talents on this blog during the month long tournament, preparing a dish representative of their respective countries, on a date upon which their country is actually playing a match. I have labelled this project, "The Unofficial World Cup of Food 2010."

Anyways, to make a long story short, I am representing England, competing against America on Saturday and I have created a real special dish for the occasion! I really put a lot of thought into it and I think it is something that screams England! I hope you'll all keep tuned to the event on Gordon's Page and also be sure to check in on Saturday to see exactly what I cooked up!

12 comments

  1. Oh Marie, this does look delicious! I wish I had some right now. Thank you for the recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just copied your recipe and will get some fruit at the Groentschoertje (local fruit and veggie store) today. Local fruit is in now and the best. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Can I have a double helping please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Also congrats for representing England on Gordon's website. I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely easy recipe, and good to know it can be a store cupboard one when berries aren't in season. Your photos are delicious as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful, Marie. And I can't wait to see your entry Saturday! My grandfather was a very well-known soccer player in Italy who played in the World Cup in the 30s- it's in our blood!!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo...so scrummy, Marie! I could eat a bowl of this now, and it's only lunchtime... LOL! Happy Day, my friend--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS)) OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks INCREDIBLE and just the kind of thing I want to make this summer. Your pictures are always SO enticing - makes my mouth water. =) Thanks for sharing this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh red fruit is a rarity in Israel, but I have some lovely frozen stuff in the freezer that I usually save for pavlova. Guess what's for dessert for this Friday night's dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thhis sounds almost like a sort of toffee flapjacky sort of topping - lovely!

    Can't wait for your world cup creation..though the world cup itself is cancelled for lack of interest in this house.

    Don't you feel flattered to be termed a food writer? Gosh, I would be but \i guess I'll have to settle for "her in Scunthorpe". Actually I would call you more of an inspirational writer and bonne viveuse par excellence. I would also call you 'friend' and I'm proud of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made it and loved it. I am having company next weekend and think I'll make some for their breakfast, Enno's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your recipe reminded me that I still have half a freezer of red berries from the harvest last year that I need to use up before the harvest this year. I used red currants, raspberries and red gooseberries. We have just eaten a huge portion with custard and it was the best topping I have ever had. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!