Light Brownies

Sunday 20 June 2010




I have been rather indulging myself lately . . . naughty me, when I was doing so well before the move. It is so hard to not eat all the wonderful things that I bake . . . they are so very tempting.

Sometimes I am content with just a taste . . . but lately . . . I'm afraid that I have not been so good, and have been imbibing just a bit too much.



I decided to try to make a Brownie that would satisfy my chocolate craving . . . but not tip me over the top. Not an easy quest to be sure . . . but quite doable as you can see.



These ended up quite scrummy . . . not as good as my Fudge Walnut Brownies, to be sure . . . but not so bad, and definitely fulfilling that chocolate craving.



The secret is to not overbake them . . . anytime you take the fat and calories out of something you risk taking out a lot of the flavour and moistness . . . so overbaking these is a definite no no . . . (I cannot stress this enough!)



A lot of low fat brownie recipes do use prune puree . . . but I did not want any hint of fruit in my chocolate indulgence. They tend to mask some of the chocolate flavour as well . . . and what is the point? When you want chocolate, you want chocolate, full stop . . .



I do hope you will give these a try. Whilst they are not as good as the full fat version, they are a satisfying substitute . . . and in the scheme of low fat . . . that is what counts!




*Light Brownies*
Makes one 8 inch square pan
Printable Recipe

Make sure you use good quality semisweet chocolate in these, not chocolate chips. The additives in chocolate chips will result in a much drier brownie. Be careful not to overbake.

2 1/2 ounces plain flour (1/2 cup, sifted)
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 TBS Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
1 TBS hot water
1 TBS vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coffee powder, rubbed through a seive until very fine
2 TBS unsalted butter
3 ounces semi sweet chocolate, good quality, chopped fine
3 1/2 ounces sugar (1/2 cup)
pinch salt
1 large free range egg, beaten lightly
Icing sugar for dusting (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/Gas mark 4. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang so that you can easily lift them out when done.

Whisk the flour and baking powder together. Set aside.

Whisk together the cocoa powder, hot water, vanilla and coffee powder, until smooth. Set aside.

Melt the butter and semi sweet chocolate in a microwave on medium heat, or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Set aside.

Measure the sugar and salt into a bowl, whisking them together. Stir in the melted chocolate/butter mixture and the cocoa powder mixture. Mix well and then whisk in the beaten egg. Fold in the flour mixture, folding it in only until just incorporated. Spread into the prepared pan, smoothing the top over.

Bake for about 20 minutes, on the middle rack of the oven. Turn around halfway through the baking time. Test a few minutes before the baking time is up. A toothpick inserted in the centre should come out with a few moist crumbs. Do NOT overbake.

Remove to a wire rack to cool for about an hour. Lift out of the pan by using the parchment paper overhand. Dust with icing sugar if desired and then cut into squares to serve.

8 comments

  1. Good job, Marie! They look decadent, even though they're light! I'll have to try these, they look so delicious!

    Hope you've had a good time with your friends! Lots of love and hugs sent your way...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm these look yummy Marie! I have all the ingredients so I might make them for Peter for Father's Day, he's at work and will be home at midday so I have time. Hope you're both well, ~~~ Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your pain - it is far too hard to settle for just a taste sometimes. These brownies look great though ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Marie- who said English cooking was stodgy and boring?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, that is very very sweet of you to think of a light brownie recipe for your bloggy friends!! Think I'll need a lot of light recipes when I get home from Savannah and all of the delicious and tempting foods in this fair city! Thanks for leading the way....xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much for posting this recipe! I can't eat much sugar and I am always trying recipes and skimping on the sugar...sometimes that does NOT work! This sounds like something I would love! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh FANTASTIC! I'll be sharing the link to this post over the weekend! Fantastic looking and I can't wait to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making brownies with cocoa and less sugar! So choclatey...is that a word?...and good! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!