Broccoli Delight Salad

Sunday 27 June 2010



Talk about feast and famine . . . we're having a heat wave here in the UK! Yayy, it's about time!!




Everywhere you look people have donned their shorts and tank tops, sun hats and sun glasses. The parks are loaded with sun worshippers toasting their bodies . . .



And the seasides are overfun with people looking to escape the temperatures of hot concrete in exchange for cool sea breezes!



This is barbeque weather! Time to light the coals and crack open the lawn furniture! Pop a few cool bevvies, and toss a few salads.



Tonight with barbequed cheddar and red onion burgers we are having this tasty salad. Nothing new to some of you I am sure, but a real favourite of ours.



I always blanch the broccoli first as my body doesn't tolerate completely raw broccoli very well. It also makes for a lovely bright green colour of broccoli, which looks so very pretty. I like to use roasted salted nuts, and you'll be glad to know that tender stem broccoli works just as well as the other kind.



It keeps for several days in the refrigerator, which is a good thing and makes it very handy for snacking on!! Hmmmm . . . I wonder if I'll be able to talk Todd into chasing down the Icecream Truck after tea time . . .



*Broccoli Delight Salad*
Serves about 6 people
Printable Recipe

Delicious salad filled with lovely colours, textures and flavours. Crisp broccoli, sharp red onion, sweet sultanas and crunchy toasted nuts, in a tangy buttermilk dressing. Delightful!

2 to 3 heads of fresh broccoli
(or equivalent amount of tender stem broccoli)
120g of chopped roasted nuts
(I use a mixture of almonds and pecans)
1 handful of sultana raisins
1/2 of a small red onion, peeled and finely chopped

For the dressing:
4 ounces buttermilk (well shaken before measuring)
1 heaped dessertspoon of mayonnaise (I use nonfat)
2 TBS cider vinegar
1 TBS caster sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Trim and chop the broccoli, discarding any woody stems. (You can use the stems if you peel them) Place them into a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Leave for about 45 seconds and then drain well and rinse in cold water. Drain well again. Place in a dry bowl. Add the chopped nuts, raisins and onion. Toss together well.

Whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour this over top of the salad, and again toss well. Cover and chill for several hours before serving.

13 comments

  1. I love this salad. I use sunflower seeds in place of the nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refreshingly delicious looking! Thanks for another entry into the summer section of my cookbook. Enjoy the warm weather!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this- I sometimes throw in a handful of dried cranberries (Craisins). It never lasts long
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this salad! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Marie; we are expecting guest for few days andI was looking for something to add to my menu; perfect!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I love the bright green colour of the blanched broccoli ... good luck with the ice cream truck ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks lovely and fresh to have with your burgers. We really aren't used to this heat, and there will be a lot of burnt bodies out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The heat wave has reached Holland and we don't know what to do but go to the beach. The salad looks yummy and a reason for me to go grocery shopping tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful color the broccoli has. Nice when the visual and the taste match up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous salad!
    Gorgeous legs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got to try this, thank you Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh...we make a VERY similar salad here, and LOVE it. It's a recipe from my sister's MIL. Quite nice! Her version has a slightly different dressing....a scoop of mayo, a small scoop of sugar, cider vinegar. Oh, and cheddar cheese in the salad. Yummy! It's the ONLY way my three year old will eat raw veg. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our heatwave here started in early May and won't let up until the end of October... LOL! Fresh broccoli is a bit expensive in this part of the world at the moment, but this salad has tempted me big time, I think a splurge at the supermarket is in order. Craisins instead of sultanas, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!