Steak with Bearnaise Sauce

Monday 7 December 2009



Desperate times call for desperate measures . . .

Yes, I've spent most of the afternoon packing up pressies to pop into the post tomorrow for Christmas overseas . . . (I hope that they get there in time . . . please pretty please, fingers crossed!)



Not to mention the oodles and oodles of Christmas Cards that needed to be handwritten and addressed.



I fear I have writer's cramp and dead head now . . . I fear my penmanships is deteriorating actually into an illegible scrawl . . . dare I blame too much typing on the computer instead of wrestling with a pen??? Every year I swear that I am going to get it all done nice and early . . .
and every year, it ends up being the last minute. I am such a procrastinator! Bad me.



After the penmanship workout I just had, I need sustenance . . .

I need a tasty steak, oh and a baked potato and salad. T'would do very nicely I think.

I already told you how to cook the perfect steak . . . HERE.



Now here's a recipe for a tasty sauce to go with it. Oh, you just can't beat grilling a delicious steak for your supper. mmm . . . it's the best!

(My brain cells are too fried to be witty today . . . just like the steak . . . fried to perfection?)



*Steak with Bearnaise Sauce*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

This is one of our favourite special dinners. You just can't beat a nice steak with a tasty sauce. mmm...mmm...good!

2 x 200g/7oz sirloin steaks, at room temperature
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp butter

For the Bearnaise sauce:
250g/8¾oz butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tarragon vinegar
2 egg yolks
splash of water
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped

First make the sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Place the lemon juice and vinegar into a small dish and bring to the boil in the microwave by blitzing on high for about 1 minute depending on the strength of your microwave. Whisk this into the hot butter. Place the egg yolks and the water in an electric blender or in the cup of your stick blender. Blend the ingredients together, slowly adding the hot butter to the mixture, a little at a time. Continue to blend until the sauce thickens. Stir in the tarragon and the parsley.

Sprinkle the steaks with the salt, pepper and some Worcestershire sauce, patting it into the steaks with your fingertips. Melt the butter in a skillet until foaming and hot. Add the steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side for medium rare. Hold them up with the fat down on the pan with a pair of tongs for several minutes, to crisp up the fat. Remove from the heat to heated plates and serve with the bearnaise sauce.

By the way someone asked the other day what I used to substitute for alcohol in recipes. I am a Mormon as you know and we don't really do alcohol. Often, if it is a sweet dish or dessert where the alcohol is not heated or cooked, I will use fruit juice. Apple, pear, pineapple etc. In a savoury dish Isometimes use fruit juice as well. Apple juice goes particularly well with pork as does most citrus juices. Also, to counter balance the sweetness, I will add a bit of balsamic vinegar . . . red for meat dishes and white for poultry and fish. Sometimes I just go ahead and add the wine, be it red or white, because the alcohol cooks out right? (Don't burst my bubble if it doesn't. I don't want to know. In this case ignorance is bliss.)

4 comments

  1. Marie, you are many steps ahead of me - I haven't bought one gift or written one card yet! This would have to be on my Last Meal Ever list. I adore bearnaise & luckily for me MOTH hates it - so I get to have the lot!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks SOOOO delicious, Marie! I want it right now--even though it's 1:45 in the morning for me and I HAVE to get to bed now! Just wanted to pop in and see what's cookin'! I love steak, and this sauce looks to die for!

    I sure hope you get some relief for your tooth today! I'll check back in with you tonight--hope your day is as wonderful as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another one my hubby would love... and easy too! Hope your tooth is better--and that you can eat something like this again soon! Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good steak we are so lucky to get such good meat, especially in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!