Perfect Pork Chops with Apples, Sage and Stilton

Monday 28 September 2009



(Photo courtesy of deliciousmagazine.co.uk)

I think it was sometime last year that Todd and I decided that we weren't going to eat pork anymore. Don't ask me why . . . it was just one of those silly ideas you get, that really don't go anywhere.

We didn't last very long at it. The idea of perfectly roasted pork or grilled chops was far too tempting for us.

I once lived next door to a lady that decided to raise her own pork one year and whom had 5 pigs living in an enclosure not much larger than most people's bathrooms. They were really cute at first, but as time went on and they got larger, they also got smellier, and we just happened to be downwind. Nevermind . . . that's a whole 'nother tale. I digress . . .



I think the most delicious and succulent pork chops come from a rack of pork. You get the tender loin meat along with some tasty rib bits that are just yum yum yum!

I happened to be in the grocery store the other day picking up a rib roast for work, when I noticed the meatman cutting up a rack of pork into chops and they were just so darned good looking I had to pick up a couple for Todd and myself.

You know how it goes . . .



Anyways, these were absolutely wonderful. I cooked them up yesterday, all panfried and nicely browned, with crispy bits of fat clinging to the edges, and then finally roasted with some lightly sauteed apples laid out on top and crumbly bits of stilton.

Fabulous, darlings . . . just fabulous. A marriage made in heaven . . .




*Perfect Pork Chops with Apples, Sage and Stilton*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is simple but impressive and gives you perfectly cooked pork chops every time. I like to use a good porkchop, like a rack pork chop. Delicious!

4 8-ounce pork chops, preferably free range
sea salt (I like to use smoked)
freshly ground black pepper
olive oil
2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and sliced into thick wedges
1 TBS butter
fresh sage leaves
3 1/2 ounces of good Stilton cheese, crumbled



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Slash the pork fat along the edge of the chops all the way to the meat. Fan open. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add some olive oil and allow it to heat while you season your chops well on both sides. Cook the chops in the hot oil until they are golden brown on both sides and the fat is crispy, some 3 to 4 minutes. I always hold them up with a pair of tongs fat side down to make sure the fat gets really crispy. Remove them to a shallow metal baking dish. Add the butter to the pan and then add the apples. Fry gently until golden, but still fairly solid. Fan these out on top of each pork chop. Scatter some sage leaves over top. Place into the oven and roast for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven, scatter the stilton over top. Pop back into the oven long enough to melt the cheese.



I like to fry some tender sage heads in the pan drippings until crispy and garnish the finished dish with them.

6 comments

  1. What a beautiful, elegant dish...wonderful, Marie! Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marie, the men of this house really love porks chops, really enjyed and these look awesome Marie (esperanza still is veggi, well only eat fishes but not chicken meat, and any other animal!)
    This look yummy! Hugsssss and have a nice week dear xoxoxoxoox gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. A whole rack of pork! Lovely, but you would have to give the butcher 6 weeks notice up here! I once asked if they would kindly mince 5lbs of beef steak of my own choosing and they said no because they would have to wash the mincer again!

    I think I would just have to stop eating anything at all if I worked on a farm. All those nice gloopy-eyed cows and spotty piggies. Yep, you could find me hugging trees any day of the week!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie

    Tried this recipe the other night with a few alterations to accomodate the ingredients I had on hand. Delicious....my family loved it.
    Posted about it on my blog....check it out. The photos aren't as good as yours, but it still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You promised perfection and as usual, you delivered. I've said before that I've not cooked much with pork, but following your tips always produces a lovely, perfectly cook meal. And sage and apple just goes so well with it - I can see why it's a classic combination.

    I was attracted by the addition of Stilton, which is one of my favourite cheeses. I wondered if it might overpower the dish as it can be a strong flavour, but it didn't compete at all, just complemented the other ingredients. It looked really impressive on the plate and tasted even better. We were really happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie. I am realizing how very spoilt I was to have such great pork available to me and the cheeses of the UK. Its not that easy to find them here. I am so pleased that you tried this and have enjoyed it and that you trust my instructions. That is the highest compliment you can pay a person. THAN YOU! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!