An Apple Tart

Thursday 18 June 2009



Sometimes you have a bowl filled with apples that are just begging you to do something with them . . . apple cake, apple pie, apple sauce . . . or lovely apple tarts.

My Todd loves apple pie. It's one of his most favourite of all desserts. I love apple pie too, but I'm afraid we differ quite a bit on what each of considers to be an apple pie, me being North American and him being British.





His mother made lovely apple pies as did mine. His mother's were stuffed with tart Bramley apples, cut into chunks, heavily flavoured with cloves, and baked, the filling quite solid and full of chunks. My mother's were stogged full of Granny Smiths and Cortlands, thinly sliced and cooked until they melted together sweet and all soft inside her tender crusts. Two completely different pies. Two completely different tastes.

And so I don't even try.



Instead I make apple tarts. With flakey puffed pastry. One cannot call it a pie and it is completely different than either one of our mom's. He doesn't complain in the least.




*Apple Tart*

Serves 6
Printable Recipe

This is a wonderful tart. A puff pastry base filled with chunky sweet apple and apricot jam, makes it pretty hard to resist!

8 ounces of prepared all butter puff pastry
Filling:
4 dessert apples, peeled and cut into chunks
2 TBS caster sugar
6 tsp Calvados (apple brandy)
1 generous cup of Apricot jam, seived
To glaze:
1 large egg, beaten




Heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Roll out the pastry 1/4 inch thick into a generous 12 inch round. Line a 10 inch tart tin with it. Place back into the refrigerator and chill again until firm.

Once it is chilled remove from the fridge and scatter the apple chunks inside. Sprinkle with the sugar. Stir together the apricot jam and the calvados. Pour this over and around the apple chunks. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.

Bake in the heated oven for 20 minutes, until the pastry is well browned. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Serve at room temperature, cut into wedges with some creme fraiche on the side for spooning over top.

9 comments

  1. This is the first blog I've visited that's made me hungry.

    How to you upload the music? I'm now listening to Wonderful world and it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering..love the big chunks of apples and cream...mmm...Super Marie! Happy Day dear friend, LOVE YOU HEAPS ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pastry on that tart Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marie, uou always amazing me!!!!! I love this apple tart!! xoxoxoxoxo Gloria

    Beauty pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple pie a favourite in this house too. I make it with Bramleys cooked down like your mum and I had it from my mum only she does the pastry thicker. I don't put cloves in either. I must try that. Meanwhile there are 8 eating apples of various varieties in the kitchen just BEGGING for attention.

    loe, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for that, Marie. I've done it and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love apple pie Marie, especially with some home made custard. The flaky pastry ones you have made will be a lovely change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delicious. I may just have to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!