Plum Pudding Cake

Wednesday 5 October 2016

 photo DSCN9027_zps0qsm7vrn.jpg

I baked Todd a delicious Plum Pudding Cake with the last of the plums from our tree last week.  It has taken me  week to finally get to the point where I could post about it.  Trust me when I say that wasn't because I didn't want to.  Too many recipes, not enough time!  Todd adores this tasty pudding cake.  I like it too, although I can't really eat much more than a smidgen of it.  Sigh  . . . 

 photo DSCN9028_zpsz3wrdqv2.jpg

The recipe comes from one of my cookery books written by Gary Rhodes.  I think its called Keeping It Simple, but I am too lazy to go upstairs and look at the moment!    One of the very first cookery books I got when I moved over here was one of his.  I love his recipes.  He was one of the first celebrity chefs I noticed on the television here.  I always loved watching him cook because with him the food was the star.

 photo DSCN9030_zps1w23ilav.jpg

With me the food is also the star.   I like to cook food that tastes and looks good.  I don't mind cooking things that are a bit faffy, but for the most part I like to save faffy for special occasions.  Normally I prefer simple recipes and simple ingredients.  But simple and tasty works for me every time.

 photo DSCN9031_zpsptuq65rk.jpg

For this pudding you cook the plums lightly in a saucepan prior to pouring them into a baking dish.   A delicious cake batter then gets poured over top and the whole thing gets banged into the oven.

 photo DSCN9032_zpsmfrlcdwv.jpg

I think it is actually quite similar to an Eve's Pudding in that way, which is basically the same thing except you use apples.   In any case this was the perfect way to use the remainder of the plums, and it went down a real treat with some cream poured over top.

 photo DSCN9035_zpsakmzowjk.jpg

*Baked Plum Pudding Cake*
Serves 4 to 6

This is a delicious and simple pudding adapted from one I found in a Gary Rhodes cookery book.  I have used plums for this, but you can use other fruits, suc as rhubarb, blackberries, apples, pears, etc. Or a combination of the above.  Serve warm spooned out into bowls with pouring cream. 

For the fruit:
12 plums, halved, stoned and cut into quarters
75g caster sugar (1/3 cup)
a knob of butter (plus more to butter the dish)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 4 TBS water
(Depending on how juicy your plums are)
 
For the Batter:
100g butter (1/2 cup)
100g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
the finely grated zest of one each small lemon and small orange
healthy pinch of ground cinnamon
2 medium free range eggs, beaten
225g self raising flour (1 1/2 cups plus 2 TBS)
2 TBS milk
Demerara sugar for sprinkling (Turbinado) 


 photo DSCN9037_zps5egrmln1.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a oblong baking dish or pie dish and set aside.  (Mine is a 2 litre one)


Melt the knob of butter in a sauce pan. Once it begins to foam add the plums and sugar, Cook and stir to release juices for one or two minutes.  Remove from the heat.  Add some water and the vanilla.  You don't want it to be too soupy.  Set aside to cool.


  photo DSCN9038_zpsgxs7gyej.jpg

Whisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the cinnamon and fruit zests.   Beat in the eggs.  Sift in the flour and then gently fold together.  Stir in the milk.  Pour the fruit filling into the baking dish.  Try to spread the batter over top.  I tend to dollop it over in a bunch of dollops over top and spread it out as best as I can.  Sprinkle with  some demerara sugar. (a couple TBS)

 photo DSCN9039_zps6q86jx1x.jpg


Place the casserole onto a baking tray and put into the oven to bake for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Serve warm, spooned into bowls along with some cream for pouring.

 photo DSCN9042_zpsjbqluxvt.jpg

Oh, I do love Autumn  . . . Bon Appetit!


6 comments

  1. I could so see you with a tearoom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I forgot to set the date for this. It should have posted tomorrow morning. Oh well! You got to see it early! xo

      Delete
  2. Marie, here in the USA, what type of plums would you suggest for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuzu, you can use any kind of plum for this that is good for eating! Prune Plums would be good as would Santa Rosas or Pluots. xo

      Delete
  3. i have two in the oven as we speak (write!). thanks so much for posting this, we were watching a Gary Rhodes show where he made this on BBC Food years ago and i found the recipe and made it several times. i sometimes uses plums and apples, it's delicious. then i lost the recipe and at last i have it again! i also just found the recipe on a youtube video, so all is good. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!