Pasta with Aubergine Sauce (Eggplant)

Thursday 15 October 2015

 photo DSCN3648_zpspc2qbd8f.jpg

When I was in high school, my mother discovered Italian food, in the way of Italian Spaghetti . . .  which meant . . a tin of catelli spaghetti sauce, stirred into a pound of browned hamburger and heated through.  This was considered a real Italian treat.  I never liked the meat in the sauce, but was quite happy if she kept a couple of tablespoons of the sauce out for me to have on my spaghetti, meat free.



  photo DSCN3649_zpsn902ysz7.jpg

And yes . . .  we used the cheese in the green container . . .  we called it smelly sock.  We enjoyed it, but we really didn't know any better.  I've come a long way since those days.   I make my own bolognese from scratch nowadays . . . and  parmigiano reggiano cheese is a must have staple in my kitchen.

 photo DSCN3650_zpststtldxv.jpg

I made a delicious pasta sauce today using an aubergine (eggplant) and it turned out really, really nice.   I loved it.  With whole wheat pasta (spaghetti) and some grated cheese on top, it went down a real treat.

  photo DSCN3651_zps8hcsuxcj.jpg

The nice thing about a cheese like Parmiginia is that a little bit goes a long way because it is really big on flavour . . . because it is hard and dry . . .  lower in fat than regular cheeses.  Both pluses.

 photo DSCN3652_zpslzityroi.jpg

I am also using whole wheat pasta these days . . .  I really can't gell the difference in flavour from regular pasta . . .  but I know it's better for me.  I just wish they made more varities.  I've only ever been able to find spaghetti, fusilli and penne so far.  I wish they would make whole wheat lasagne noodles.

 photo DSCN3654_zpsvsfsrnvr.jpg

It's better for you because it packs a higher nutrient value than regular pasta.  Whole grains are complex carbs and release energy to your body much slower than normal "White" breads, pastas, rice, etc.  This slow release energy makes you feel satisfied longer.   Another plus.  Increased fibre for better digestion, slow release carbs, heart healthy  and containing generous amounts of phosphorus, manganese, magnesium and selenium this makes for a very healthy choice and when combined with a delicious low fat sauce, it's just win/win all round!  If you like  Aubergine/Eggplant Parmesan . . .  you will love this.

 photo DSCN3653_zpsybecxnqv.jpg


*Pasta with Aubergine Sauce*
Seres 4

Who says a pasta sauce has to have meat in it to be delicious. This is fabulous.  

For the sauce:
2 TBS olive oil
1 medium aubergine, cut into 1/2 inch dice (eggplant)
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp tomato puree/paste
60ml of white wine (1/4 cup)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, preferably Italian (415g/14ounce)
7 TBS water
pinch sugar
1 TBS chopped oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
Dry pasta for four (I used whole wheat spaghetti) cooked according to the package directions
finely grated Parmesan Cheese to garnish


 photo DSCN3655_zpsy1u17uzi.jpg

Heat the oil in a large skillet.   Add the aubergine and cook, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.  Tip in the onions and cook, for about five minutes longer, until softened.  Add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds longer until very fragrant.  Stir in the tomato paste and wine, along with the chopped tomatoes, sugar, oregano, water and seasoning.   Bring to the boil, then reduce to a slow simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.  Serve over hot cooked pasta with a nice grating of parmesan cheese over top.


Calories (without pasta and cheese, sauce only):  125
Fat:  7.4g
Carbs: 11.9g
Sugars:  6.9g
Protein:  2.9g

  photo DSCN3656_zpsnxl1a3pj.jpg


In a 1 cup  serving of cooked whole wheat pasta, there are 140 calories, 42g of carbohydrates, 7 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber, which is about 25% of your daily fiber needs. It is a low-fat food and contains high levels of manganese and selenium, which are minerals important in maintaining bone health and immune function.  In the case of a diabetic where you are watching your carbohydrate intake, I would suggest you cut the serving in half and serve a nice big salad on the side.


13 comments

  1. Looks very healthy and also very delicious, Marie. I love anything with aubergines.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve sauces w/ aubergine:) And pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful- shared. I might serve it on spaghetti squash (less carbs). We have more varieties of whole wheat pasta here(US).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spaghetti squash would be perfect Melanie! We can't always get that here, but the next time I see one I am going to buy it! I wish we had the variety here that you have there! xo

      Delete
    2. I agree. I have started using Spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta and my kids love it. It's easy to find here in Chicago. Thanks for this recipe. Looks yummy!

      Delete
    3. I will certainly be buying one next time I see one Susan! xo

      Delete
  4. This sounds so delicious! I really enjoy your recipe blog--please don't think about going away. lol Your recipes are simple, and yet interesting and ENTICING! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elaine! Nothing short of death is going to take me away from this I can assure you! This blog is my passion and my hobby! xo

      Delete
  5. Great site! This recipe is similar to Pasta alla Norma (here's a link to Pasta alla Norma on my personal food blog - notice the similarities https://grapegourmet.wordpress.com/recipes/primo/pasta-alla-norma/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there are some similarities Unknown! Your sauce looks quite tasty! Thanks for sharing and for the compliment on my blog! I do put a lot of work into it. xo

      Delete
  6. LOL on the "parmesan" available when we were young. I always thought that it smelled like someone had been sick and was determined to never, ever eat it in my life. What a fantastic surprise to finally sample real parmesan as an adult and totally fall in love immediately. I always buy mine in a piece and grate it up myself as there is no comparison to the packaged grated cheese. I keep the rinds in the freezer and use them in soups - they give a lovely flavour.

    I made this one tonight, with a little added chilli. It was a beautiful, well flavoured sauce that I served on whole wheat tagliatelle with a side salad. Really delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!