Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie

Sunday 22 March 2015

Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie

I had not baked a pie in a very long time.   It was different when I had a large family to feed . . . 

I often baked pies and tarts then, but with there only being two of us now, I don't often bake pies and tarts because I love them so very much and they are far too tempting for me.   

I can't control my appetite when it comes to pie!  And my favourite pie of all has to be  . . . yep, you guessed it, Lemon Meringue!



Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie

I quite simply adore Lemon Pie . . .  and so having one of these in the house is even more tempting than having any other kind.  

This recipe here today is not your normal regular lemon meringue pie . . .  no, no, no  . . .  This one is a tad bit more special.  

It's my ex mother in law Elizabeth's recipe and I have been baking it for almost 40 years now.


 Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie


So just what is it that makes this one special and that different than other Lemon Meringue pies?  Well . . .  this one has milk in it.  


It's also a tad bit sweeter than other recipes.  The filling is opague, not translucent.


Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie


Silky . . .  creamy  . . .  rich.   With lots of lemon flavour and then just a hint of vanilla.



 Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie


I can hear your eyebrows raising.  Vanilla?  you say??  Yes, vanilla.  Believe it or not Vanilla really enhances the flavour of lemon and vice versa.  

You end up with an almost unctuosity . . . it's lemon, but not as you know it.  It's ultra lemon, but not smack in the face lemon.


Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie


It's subtle and yet  . . .  at the same time bold.   You will just have to try it and see what I am talking about.   Nothing artificial here.  


It's all natural.  And it's just plain good.  I think you will agree . . .  this could be your new favourite pie too.


Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie


*Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie*
Serves 6 to 8

This delicious lemon pie has a different filling to what most people are used to seeing in a Lemon Pie.  This filling is more opague and not as bright yellow or as tart. It is somewhat sweeter than the regular filling and quite delicious! 

For the filling:
190g of granulated sugar (1 cup)
70g of sifted cake flour (1/2 cup)
1 TBS cornflour (corn starch)
120ml of milk (1/2 cup)
225ml of boiling water (1 cup)
1 TBS butter
60ml of fresh lemon juice (1/4 cup)
3 large free range egg yolks
a dash of fresh lemon zest (optional)
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract 

For the meringue:
3 free range egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
48g of caster sugar (1/4 cup) 

You will also need one already baked pie shell   


Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie 

First make the filling.  Whisk the sugar and flour together in the top of a double boiler, along with the corn flour.   Whisk in the milk until smooth, then whisk in the boiling water.  Add the butter.  

Place the top of the double boiler over a pan of simmering water and cook, whisking frequently, for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture has begun to thicken and bubble around the edges.   


Whisk together the lemon juice and egg yolks.   Temper with a bit of the hot mixture and then slowly whisk the egg mixture back into the hot  mixture.  Cook for a further 5 minutes.  

Remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon zest, and both extracts.   Allow to cool.  If you think the filling is too thick, you may whisk in boiling water, 1 TBS at a time, until you get the consistency that you want to have. 


Pour the filling into your prepared pie crust.  Allow to cool completely before proceeding.


Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie



Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.


Elizabeth's Lemon Meringue Pie


Whisk together the egg whites and cream of tarter until the eggs become foamy.  Keep whisking, adding the sugar a bit at a time until  the mixture forms thick glossy peaks.  

Pile this mixture on top of the lemon filling, spreading it completely to the edges and sealing  in the filling.  I like to pile it higher in the centre.   

Brown in the hot oven for about 10 minutes.   Remove and allow to cool completely before cutting into wedges with a wet knife.  (This keeps the meringue from sticking to the knife.)

14 comments

  1. I love lemon meringue pie and haven't, like yourself, made it in ages. I think it's time!! I love the addition of vanilla and will give your recipe a try. Thanks for posting. Sammie http://www.feastingisfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks (and no doubt tastes) fab as usual Marie!

    Mmm lemon meringue pie, definitely up there as one of my favourite puds of all. I adore anything lemony or with meringue and would love to make this, but alas, I would also end up devouring it all slice by slice, especially as my husband isn't keen!

    It's great to have recipes passed on through family/friends. My mum used to make a lovely lemon meringue (amongst other things) when we were growing up but has never written anything down and I really should get her to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I adore your dainty little pastry forks too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty pie..I like the opaque filling..You are right..:)
    Thank you Marie..Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sammie. This pie is a lot sweeter than the regular lemon pie. Sometimes I want the more tartish regular one, but sometimes I just crave this one. It's fabulous!

    Victoria, you MUST get your mum to write these things down before it is too late. You don't want these things lost forever. The Toddster normally doesn't like Lemon Pie, but he likes this one because it is a lot sweeter, so it's a pretty safe bet that at least half of it will go his way! The forks came with my cutlery set. Todd bought them from a Dutchman who arrived in our driveway with a car boot filled with cutlery sets and pots and pans. Todd couldn't say no. ☺

    I hope you will try it Monique. It's a winner/winner! xx

    Lisa, you really have to try it. It's pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful! I am not that huge of a fan of the clear kind of lemon filling but this one! Oh yum! My parents are coming for a visit soon and both love lemon anything so I might have to give one a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzy, this is very different from the clear kind. I do believe you might fall in love with this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. And this look wonderful Marie!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww thanks Gloria. I hope you'll make it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also a lover of the original Lemon Meringue Pie, faithfully following my nanna's recipe to the letter and revelling in the tart, zingy lemon tang and the sweet meringue.

    I made this version yesterday and it was a huge hit. The filling is subtle, complex and really delicious. I used a rich shortcrust pie base and with the filling and the meringue topping, it was a perfectly balanced pie and SO tasty. Everyone asked for seconds!

    While I love sharp, lemon flavours, I do understand that not everyone shares my enthusiasm. Often when I make a lemon sweets they are too tart for the rest of the family (I like my lemon curd to really zing) but this pie was loved by all.

    Thankyou again for a winning recipe, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marie, I am just thrilled that you all enjoyed this. I love the original Lemon Meringue Pie as well, but this is also special and sometimes it's just really nice to do something different! Doing the happy dance here! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found this recipe on Pinterest and was excited to try it over the weekend. I was able to really impress the in-laws with pie and coffee this past Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy you all enjoyed this Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!