Jamie's Toad in the Hole

Friday 24 October 2014


Toad in The Hole






My husband is a real meat and potatoes man.  He would happily eat nothing but meat and potatoes every night of the week and never tire of it.  Give that man a sausage and a pile of mash and he is in "man heaven."  


I saw a recipe on Jamie Oliver's page the other day and it sounded really good.  I am not sure if it is in his new cookbook "Comfort Food" or not, but I am betting it might be.  


In any case I found it online.   It had some different elements I liked.



Toad in The Hole






It had an unusual sounding apple and onion gravy . . .  and all of the elements are cooked separately and then put together at the end . . .




 Toad in The Hole 







The sausages are baked in a hot oven and then placed on a bed of cooked herby apple and onion, then covered and kept warm.  


Jamie popped his back in the oven with the yorkshire pudding, but I found the sausages to be already well cooked by that time and so I mostly just kept them warm.  I also chose to use a mix of parsley, sage and thyme as I am not overly fond of rosemary.


Toad in The Hole







The gravy is made using the other half of the apple and onion mixture.  He used hard cider in his. I used apple juice.  It turned out fabulously delicious.  I also chose to cook my own Yorkshire pudding recipe rather than his.  




Why?  Because it was my father in law's recipe, and he was an army cook and it's no fail and turns out beautiful each and every time.  I think it's the best.   When something works well, why mess with it.




Toad in The Hole







It just works beautifully all together  . . .  the crisp yet succulent sausages . . .  on that fruity oniony bed of caramelized apple and onion . . 



 

Toad in The Hole







Sitting on that crisp yorkshire pudding base . . .

 


Toad in The Hole






that delicious gravy . . . poured over top.  Heaven.   Man Heaven.  I have to serve mash with this or my husband would revolt.  He likes his mash.  A nice vegetable on the side doesn't go amiss either.





Toad in The Hole


WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE JAMIES TOAD IN THE HOLE

For the Yorkshire Pudding:
2 large free range eggs (at room temperature)
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups milk, at room temperature (approximately 308 ml)
1 cup flour (140g)

You will also need oil

For the gravy:
2 large onions, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
3 eating apples, peeled, cored and slice into 1/4 inch slices
a large knob of fresh butter
1/2 tsp each, dried parsley, thyme and sage leaves
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 TBS runny honey
12 big fat cumberland sausages
1 heaped TBS of plain flour
generous cup of cloudy apple juice (250ml)
generous cup of beef stock (250ml)
Worcestershire Sauce



 

Toad in The Hole
  





HOW TO MAKE JAMIE'S TOAD IN THE HOLE

It only looks complicated. It's really very simple.

Whisk all of the ingredients together for the Yorkshire pudding until well blended.  Cover and allow to sit on the side for 1 hour prior to cooking.
  

Pre-heat your oven to 240*C/475*F/ gas mark 9.  Put the sausages into a large sturdy roasting tray along with a dollop of olive oil.  Toss to coat and then roast them in the oven for 20 minutes, at which time they will be golden brown.    


While the sausages are cooking melt a knob of butter in a large skillet, along with a splash of olive oil.  Once it begins to foam add the onions and apples, along with half of the herbs.  Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.  Remove from the heat once soft.  Add the honey and a splash of water if dry.     Season with some salt and black pepper.  


  
Toad in The Hole 





Remove the sausages from the oven.   Place them into a casserole dish along with half of the apple/onion mixture.  Cover with foil and keep warm in the warming oven.  Pour about 1/4 inch of oil into a 9 by 15 inch deep sided pan.   


Place it into the oven.  Once it begins to sizzle, remove it from the oven and pour the yorkshire pudding mix into it, all at once. and then bang it back into the oven.  Bake for 20 minutes without opening the door, until puffed and risen and golden brown and crisp.  




Toad in The Hole



While the yorkshire pudding is baking make the gravy.  Return the apples and onions back to the stove over high heat and sprinkle with the flour.  Allow it to brown until lightly golden brown.   Whisk in the apple juice and stock, and a couple of good splashes of Worcestershire sauce.  Cook, whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens.   Taste and adjust seasoning as required.  

To serve, divide the yorkshire pudding amongst six plates along with the sausages and some of the apple/onion mixture.  Ladle the gravy over top and serve.  

We like proper mash and veg with this.  Sometimes I cook cabbage, or carrots and peas.  Today I cooked carrots and baby brussels sprouts.  You just can't beat a delicious meal of sausage and mash


Jamie's Toad in the Hole

Jamie's Toad in the Hole
Yield: 6
Author: Marie Rayner
Prep time: 1 H & 15 MCook time: 35 MinTotal time: 1 H & 50 M
A delicious version of Toad in the Hole in which all of the elements are created separately and then put together at the last to serve. Makes for crispy yorkshire pudding, a flavourful gravy and perfectly cooked and crisp skinned sausages!I am using my own yorkshire pudding recipe for this, because . . . I hate to say it Jamie, but mine is the best!

Ingredients

For the Yorkshire Pudding:
  • 2 large free-range eggs (at room temperature)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/3 cups milk, at room temperature (320 ml)
  • 1 cup flour (140g)
  • oil for the pan
For the meat and gravy:
  • 2 large onions, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
  • 3 eating apples, peeled, cored and slice into 1/4 inch slices
  • a large knob of fresh butter
  • 1/2 tsp each, dried parsley, thyme and sage leaves
  • fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 TBS runny honey
  • 12 big fat Cumberland sausages (you can use any good Butcher's style of sausage)
  • 1 heaped TBS of plain flour
  • generous cup of cloudy apple juice (250ml)
  • generous cup of beef stock (250ml)
  • Worcestershire Sauce

Instructions

  1. Whisk all of the ingredients together for the Yorkshire pudding until well blended. Cover and allow to sit on the side for 1 hour prior to cooking.
  2. Pre-heat your oven to 240*C/475*F/ gas mark 9. Put the sausages into a large sturdy roasting tray along with a dollop of olive oil. Toss to coat and then roast them in the oven for 20 minutes, at which time they will be golden brown.
  3. While the sausages are cooking melt a knob of butter in a large skillet, along with a splash of olive oil. Once it begins to foam add the onions and apples, along with half of the herbs. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove from the heat once soft. Add the honey and a splash of water if dry. Season with some salt and black pepper.
  4. Remove the sausages from the oven. Place them into a casserole dish along with half of the apple/onion mixture. Cover with foil and keep warm in the warming oven. Pour about 1/4 inch of oil into a 9 by 15-inch-deep sided pan.
  5. Place it into the oven. Once it begins to sizzle, remove it from the oven and pour the Yorkshire pudding mix into it, all at once. and then bang it back into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes without opening the door, until puffed and risen and golden brown and crisp.
  6. While the Yorkshire pudding is baking make the gravy. Return the apples and onions back to the stove over high heat and sprinkle with the flour. Allow it to brown until lightly golden brown. Whisk in the apple juice and stock, and a couple of good splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Cook, whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
  7. To serve, divide the Yorkshire pudding amongst six plates along with the sausages and some of the apple/onion mixture. Ladle the gravy over top and serve.
  8. We like mash and veg with this. Sometimes I cook cabbage, or carrots and peas. Today I cooked carrots and baby brussels sprouts.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it # marierayner5530




This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: theenglishkitchen@mail.com 

Thanks so much for visiting! Do come again!

10 comments

  1. Hi Marie,
    Firstly I just wanted to say that I love your blog, it is instantly good. I also like your reference to The Pioneer Woman in your 'About Me' page! Made me laugh! This recipe isn't from Jamie's Comfort food, I know this as I made the toad in the hole just last week - it's a fabulous recipe, which I'm sure this was too. I'm a fan of Jamie and have posted his PBJ Brownies recipe on my blog recently. www.missfridaysfeast.blogspot.co.uk

    Keep up the good work x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear by Jamie Oliver's cooking, it's just the best.

    daisychurchward.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. All his recipes are great I find..
    LOve him..his fam..everything..You two would be a match made in heaven on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nichole You picked up on that did you? haha. I didn't think anyone ever did. In any case, I thank you so much for your kind words. I have the Comfort Food Book too, havn't made anything from it yet, but I have quite a few ear marked. I found this on his site. Maybe from one of his earlier books. I will have to check out your brownies! xx

    Daisy, I have come to the Jamie Oliver Table late. When I did my culinary training our head chef hated him, and said he was highly over rated, and as I didn't really know him, having only recently moved over here I kind of ignored him for a long time. I have since come to love all that he does and have never missed one of his magazines since he started it, or any of his cookery books over the past couple of years. Anyone with such passion deserves all the success he gets!

    haha Monique, I don't think Jamie Oliver would be beating a path to my door. I did see him in person once and he got a turkey award the same night I did. Plus I saw his wife Jules and two youngest daughters at the Good Food Show a number of years back. (They were still in prams) She was so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I love Todd you know:)).and I know he love thid food.Really comfort food! I love too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gloria, you're such a sweetie pie! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good! I have never been disappointed in Jamie O's recipes. I have heard of Toad in a Hole but never had it. Will put on my "Must Try" list. Thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie, I am sure Kyle has experienced Toad in the Hole!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right. Your Father-in-law's Yorkshire Pudding is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!