Fudgy Vanilla Tray Bake

Sunday 10 February 2013

  photo SAM_4583_zps2f92abd7.jpg

Have you ever craved something which you know is sooooo naughty that you really shouldn't have it in the house . . . but before you know it, you are in the kitchen banging on the pots and pans and baking it???

 photo SAM_4582_zps9540ed82.jpg

All week I had been craving this cake . . . it was on my mind when I went to bed at night  . . . and one of the first things I thought about when I got up in the  morning . . . thoughts of it followed me throughout my days . . .

 photo SAM_4588_zps0b90dfa9.jpg

Finally today I could resist it no longer . . . I just had to bake it.  It's like "Cake Crack."  One bite and you are addicted.  Unlike any other cake you've ever known . . . bake this once, and your life will never be the same.  Tis totally true . . .

 photo SAM_4589_zps2ebc4c96.jpg

It has the most incredibly moist and fudgy texture.  Unlike any other cake I've ever baked or eaten . . . it is almost sludgy . . . but it's  not.   Actually I don't think there are any words which can  describe this delicious cake adequately.

  photo SAM_4586_zps645cf616.jpg

Buttery, dense, sweet . . . incredibly moreish.   This is one you will be digging your fork into each time you pass the tin . . . for . . . just ONE more taste . . .

 photo SAM_4592_zpsf97561aa.jpg

The very first time I made it, some 30 odd years ago (can I possibly be that old???) I thought it had gone totally wrong . . . but I had a bite and that was it. I was totally smitten, love at first BITE. 

You've been warned.

 photo fudgyvanillatraaybake_zpsffe9d5f7.jpg

*Fudgy Vanilla Tray Bake*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe 

Dense and delicious.  This is one you will find yourself picking at every time you walk by the tin.  Don't say you weren't warned.

225g of butter (1 cup)
250ml of water (1 cup)
200g of plain flour (2 cups)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
383g of granulated sugar (2 cups)
 2 large free range eggs, beaten
60g of sour cream (1/2 cup)
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Frosting:
110g of butter (1/2 cup)
60ml of milk (1/4 cup)
585g of icing sugar, sifted (4 1/2 cups)
few drops almond and vanilla extracts
115g of chopped walnuts (1/2 cup)

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F /gas mark 5.  Butter a 15 by 10 inch baking tin.  Dust lightly with flour, tapping out any excess.  Set aside.

Cut the butter into bits and put it into a large saucepan along with the water.  Bring to the boil.   Beat the eggs, Temper them with a bit of the hot butter mixture.  Whisk them into the water along with the sugar.   Whisk in the flour, baking soda, salt, sour cream and extract until smooth.  Pour into the prepared pan.   Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.  Spread the frosting over top, sprinkle with the walnuts and allow to cool completely.  Cut into squares to serve.

To make the frosting combine the butter and milk in a saucepan.  Cook over low heat until the butter melts.  Bring to the boil over medium heat.   Remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar and almond extract.  Spread this over the cake.  Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.  Allow to cool completely before serving.

10 comments

  1. So yummy.....looks gorgeous... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should just forbid myself reading your blog. Time after time I find recipes that just make me drool, they are all so delicious. This one I just have to make, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious, it's certainly very good. Congratulations and happy Sunday!

    Mon'Em Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be making this for J as soon as his chocolate pear cake is finished:)
    Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. There should be a DAnger sign on this blog!!! You are a Very Naughty Lady Mrs Rayner!!!


    But I love ya anyway !!!

    Sheilagh

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love the look of these. You are so right about cravings... one minute it's just a thought - then before you know it, you've got to eat it. I love tray bakes! I usually make and freeze - that way I'm not tempted too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie this tray look absolutely delicious!! send you huggs! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe, I love it. It is totally Mediterranean. I invite you to see my recipes in Valencia (Spain) in http://valenciagastronomic.blogspot.com.es

    Next Tuesday the "giraboix" Are you going to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this yesterday as I knew my grandsons were going to stop by and I have to say that it was delicious! My grandsons and son in law said it might be the best cake they have ever had and I have to agree! Thank you so much for such a wonderful cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I am so pleased that this was enjoyed! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!