Easy Stovetop Granola

Wednesday 30 May 2012

 

I just love eating oats for breakfast. In the winter this often means oatmeal, and it's the perfect wintertime breakfast as it is warm and filling . . . a real stick to the ribs breakfast when it is cold and you need all that extra energy and warmth!

 

But come the warmer weather I am so loathe to give up my oats!  Oats are not only good for your heart but they are a slow release energy carb . . . and so they help you to feel satisfied and full longer!  Much better for a greedy gus like me!

 

I love granola as well . . . and I love homemade granola much, much more than storebought mixtures.  At least when I make it myself I can control what exactly goes into it.  I like that idea.

 

Here's a delicious granola recipe that you can make in the summer months without heating up your oven and kitchen!  You make it completely on top of the stove.  Truth be told I love my normal granola recipe . . . but I love this one even more!



You make a tasty butter/sugar/honey mixture and flavour it with vanilla and almond . . . and then you stir in oats, coconut and a variety of nuts.  Then you just stand there stirring it for a time, until it gets all toasted and golden brown.

 

You pour it out onto a baking sheet spread it out to let it cool and then you stir in whatever combination of dried fruit you like.  Today I did dried cranberries, dried blueberries and raisins.  But I sometimes add dried mango, pineapple and guava chunks.  



It smells gorgeous while you are making it . . . I like to have it for breakfast in a bowl along with some thick greek yogurt.  It's just like eating dessert.

 

 I like the idea of eating dessert for breakfast, don't you???


 

*Easy Stovetop Granola*
Makes a large 2 litre container
Printable Recipe

So easy to make and perfect for the summer when you don't want to heat up your kitchen.  Delicious too!

320g of rolled oats, not quick cooking (4 cups)
115g of butter (1/2 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 TBS runny honey
100g of soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
85g of flaked almonds (1/2 cup)
60g of chopped pecans (1/2 cup)
55g of whole cashews (1/2 cup)
75g of shredded coconut (1 cup)
150g of dried fruit (about 1 cup, whichever mix you want)

Place a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla and almond extract.  Cook and stir to melt.  Add the oats, nuts and coconut to the skillet.  Stir to coat well with the butter/sugar mixture.  Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the granola is a dark golden brown.  This will take 10 to 20 minutes and do keep an eye on it so that it doesn't catch and burn.  Remove from the heat and pour out onto a baking sheet to cool  completely.  Add the dried fruit and mix in.  Store in an airtight container.

3 comments

  1. Oh, this looks good----AND healthy! We were just talking tonight about having healthier breakfasts this summer...and look at what you just posted!

    Hope you're doing well, Marie...I sure have been a bad blog friend lately! Been thinking about you, though & hoping you're enjoying this lovely time of year...

    Sending so much love your way, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of making granola on the stove top instead of the oven. This is the first time I've seen a recipe like this one. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love granola too and have been putting off making some so here you are with another great recipe- thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!