Breakfast Batter Puddings

Sunday 27 May 2012



I was really craving something different this morning for breakfast. I wanted something like pancakes, but not like pancakes, if you know what I mean.  I decided to make these little Breakfast Batter Puddings.  (I cut the recipe in half, which was plenty for Todd and myself.)

 

These things are amazing!  I think they are known by all sorts of other names, such as Dutch Babies, German Pancakes, etc. . . . but they're batter puddings to me.

 

They always puff up so huge!!  You will think that they are going to almost explode they puff up so much!  But don't worry they won't.  They always deflate when you take them out of the oven after a few minutes too, but that's ok, because when they deflate . . . it leaves a nice little dip in the centre for some fruit filling.

 

Today I just used some pie filling that I needed to use up before it's sell by date.  (I don't know why I buy the stuff!  I never use it!)  But you can use jam if you want, (Blueberry is a favourite of mine.) or even lemon curd.

 

Lemon curd is really nice with fresh berries sprinkled on top.  Strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.  They all work well.

 

You can dump them out of the ramekins if you like . . . but I like to keep them in.  It makes for a nicer presentation I think.  Just pop them onto a plate and dust them with a bit of icing sugar, and then . . . pass the fruit, or jam or whatever!

 

Your family will want to kiss your ring.  Seriously.  You'll be like royalty to them, all day long.



 *Breakfast Batter Puddings*
Serves 6-8
Printable Recipe

Puffy little batter puddings, filled with your favourite fruit filling! (I like cherry!)

250ml of milk (1 cup)
6 large free range eggs
100g of plain flour (1 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 ounces of butter, melted (1/4 cup)

To serve:
Icing sugar
your favourite fruit filling

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.    Butter 6 to 8 glass ramekins very well and place them on a baking tray.

Put the milk, eggs, flour, salt, vanilla, lemon and melted butter into a tall container (or your blender container) and blitz until smooth.  (I use my stick blender.  It's quick and it's easy and I can pour the batter right into the prepared pans from the blender container.)  Divide the batter equally amongst the prepared ramekins.  They should be at least three quarters full.

Bake for 15 minutes, until puffy and golden brown on top.

Serve with a dusting of icing sugar and your favourite fruit filling.

10 comments

  1. I ate something like this in Finland. They bake it in a square tin and cut squares and put strawberry jam dollops on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! As soon as I get me some pie filling, I will most certainly try! They look delish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for my family this morning and they loved it. Thank you for a wonderful blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look scrumptious - I'd love to try them; however, I do not have any ramekins (or any small size baking dishes). Do you know if the batter can be baked all together in one large dish, or will it not puff up properly that way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama Hen, by all means do bake this in a larger dish, I would use a 9 by 15 inch baking dish and just cut it into squares, or you could use two 9 or 10 inch pie dishes. Hope this helps! Let me know how you get on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really disappointed. I made these for my family this morning and they were a total flop. They had a nice flavour, but had the density of play dough. They didn't puff at all. We were unable to eat them because of the texture. Any ideas what may have gone wrong? My eggs were a bit on the old side, could that have contributed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish I could have shown you a picture of these pudding when they came out of the oven. They were at least 3 inches puffed up over top of the ramekins! I am not sure what to tell you. It could have been that your eggs were on the old side . . . but I can't say for sure. It could be that your oven wasn't quite hot enough? or that you put slightly too much batter into the dish you used. I can't say for sure. I am so sorry this didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about a muffin tin? Could that be used if you don't have ramekins?

    ReplyDelete
  9. By all means Christy, you can use muffin tins!! Fill them about 2/3 ful. You will get a lot more of them of course, but who says more is a bad thing!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!