Baked Potato Salad (The Lightened Up Version)

Friday 4 May 2012

 

Baked Potato salad has always been one of my favourite types of potato salad. I have a tried and true recipe that I have been making for years and years. It's very good and everyone I make it for just loves it.  It's quite, quite delicious . . . but then you would expect a salad loaded with mayo, sour cream, cheese and bacon to be rather scrummy wouldn't you!  You can find my original recipe here.

 

I have been trying really hard lately to cut back on fat and calories where I can.  Obviously there are some things that you can't do that with . . . not without compromising on flavour.  I'm happy to say though that I have managed to cut the fat and calories in my  Baked Potato Salad virtually in half . . .

 

I'm even happier to say that no flavour was compromised at all in the process.  Instead of using full fat mayonnaise and sour cream . . .

 

I have substituted a mixture of half fat mayonnaise, half fat salad cream and low fat buttermilk!  If anything, I think this dressing actually tastes better than the original.  Hard to believe I know . . .  but amazingly true!

 

I also used soya bacon bits (Baco's) instead of fried bacon.  I know those are not common ingredients over here in the UK, but you can use turkey bacon and it is almost as good.  I didn't miss the real bacon at all in this.  The soya bacon bits softened up nicely in the salad and imparted a lovely smoked bacon flavour to the dish.

 

I used half fat strong cheddar cheese as well.  If you are not cooking it, I think you would be hard pressed to notice any difference between the full fat and the half fat.  I can't tell the different at any rate.

 

The seasonings stayed the same, but I did make a slight variation in the preparation of the potatoes.  Instead of letting them go cold completely, I opted to peel them and cut them into chunks, mixing them with the delicious dressing whilst still warm.

 

All in all I would call this quite a success!  I hope you'll agree!  It did my potato salad loving heart good at any rate!!!  

 

*Baked Potato Salad*
(Lighter Version)
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

I always loved the unlightened version of this salad.  I have been on a quest to cut calories and fat out of my old favourites.  I've pretty much managed to cut it in half with
this one and it tastes just as good as the original version!  I didn't miss the fat at all!

3 large baking potatoes
1/4 cup of low fat buttermilk (2 fluid ounces)
1/4 cup of half fat salad cream
1/4 cup of half fat mayonnaise (Use a good brand.  I use Hellman's)
1/4 cup of soya bacon bits (you would never know the difference between this and real bacon.  If you can't get them
use 8 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled)
4 ounces half fat mature cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
dash of celery salt
dash of garlic powder
dash of paprika
1 TBS chopped fresh parsley

Preheat your oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Wash your potatoes, dry them,  and then prick them all over with a fork.  Place into the preheated oven directly on the oven rack.  Roast until they yield to the touch when gently squeezed, and are cooked through.  Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to lukewarm.

Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes and place into a large bowl.  Mix together the onion, bacon bits and cheese.  Reserve a  TBS or so to sprinkle on top of the finished salad, and mix the remainder in with the potatoes.  Stir together the mayonnaise, buttermilk and salad cream.  Stir in the seasonings.  Gently fold this mixture into the potato mixture, ensuring that the potatoes are coated as evenly as possible.  Sprinkle the reserved cheese mixture on top along with the chopped parsley.  Serve immediately.  If not using right away, cover and chill in the refrigerator.  Allow to come to room temperature before serving.

NOTE:  To those in North America who are not familiar with Salad Cream, the equivalent over there would be bottled coleslaw dressing.  I believe Kraft makes one as do a few other salad dressing manufacturers!

2 comments

  1. That really looks like a delicious dish, I am going to try it on the weekend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    I'm on the lookout for lowfat recipes right now before knee surgery. This looks really delicious, I too may try it this week-end.
    thanks for sharing, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!