Strawberry Jam Swirls

Monday 28 March 2011



We're usually starving by the time we get home from church on Sundays. We just don't do Sunday lunch in this house. By the time we get home from church, there's not really enough time on Sunday do one justice. We usually have Sunday Lunch on Saturday Night, then on Sunday we usually just have either leftovers, or something that I can quickly throw together, like beans on toast or scrambled eggs and toast, or something like that.



Once we are fed, I usually call my mom while Todd does the dishes. (I know I am a really lucky woman!) After that we settle in to watch some quiet telly together and then late in the afternoon or early evening, I will bake us a teatime treat.



It's usually something scrummy like rock cakes, or scones . . . something that we can enjoy eaten out of hand with a cold glass of milk or mug of Horlicks.

Today it was these wonderfully scrummy Strawberry Jam Swirls.



Beautifully puffed and buttery pastry . . . quite similar to a scone dough, and stogged full of gooey Strawberry Jam.

All swirled and then glazed with an egg wash and granulated sugar . . . oh my but these are soooo good.



You don't have to use Strawberry Preserves though . . . you can use whatever preserves strike your fancy . . . plum, raspberry, blueberry, apricot . . . even orange marmalade! If you are a marmalade lover like me, that is superdy duperdy scrummilicious!!!



You can even get really fancy and sprinkle the jam with some chopped toasted walnuts or pecans before you roll them up. Seriously delicious.



Seriously . . . trust me on this.



*Strawberry Jam Swirls*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

A buttery pastry swirled with strawberry jam, rolled, sliced and then baked until the pastry is all puffed and the jam all gooey scrumdiddlyumptious! You can use any flavour of jam you wish, or even marmalade. We love them with strawberry jam though!

3 ounces of butter, diced (6 TBS)
16 ounces of plain flour (4 1/2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 ounces of caster sugar (a scant 1/2 cup)
2 medium free range eggs
300ml of milk (1 1/4 cups)
2 generous dessertspoons of strawberry preserves
1 small free range egg, beaten for glazing
2 TBS granulated sugar for sprinkling



Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Butter a baking sheet really well. Set aside.

Measure the flour into a large bowl. Whisk in the baking powder, salt and caster sugar. Drop in the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Beat the eggs and milk together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and then pour in about 2/3 of the egg/milk mixture. Mix it in with a fork, until you get a soft dough, adding more milk/egg if necessary. You will havea fairly sticky dough and may not need more.

Lightly flour your work surface. Dump the dough onto it and dust with flour. Roll or pat out into a rectangle about 12 inches in length, 7 inches wide and 1/2 inch tall. Spread with the strawberry preserves covering completely. With the long side facing you, roll into a roll, rolling the pastry away from you. Cut into 12 slices and place each slice onto the buttered baking sheet, leaving some space in between.

Brush with some beaten egg and then sprinkle with the granulated sugar.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling. Lovely eaten warm with a nice cold glass of milk!

7 comments

  1. I will never doubt that the recipe you had given is delicious. I have tried baking those and I find it has a unique taste. In fact, my husband especially my kid loves to eat it. I am hoping you will provide more delicious recipes here in your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look perfect sunday night treats! http://whatibakedthisweekend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Sunday afternoons sound like mine -- except I don't have a delightful Todd to sit with and eat cakes. But I still have a houseful of girls who will gobble them down (and complain about getting fat).

    These look yummy, Marie. I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice weekend routine Marie. These look like the perfect way of capping off a wonderful Sunday. No doubt yours are so much better, but this reminds me of an ingenious recipe that was entered into the Pillsbury Bake-Off a few years back. She used fruit leather rolled up in dough to make her fruit rolls. She didn't win but I'll never forget her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there folks, I'm trying my hardest to find a British jam for my uncle, he says its made by a brand that sounds like "Chivas" or "Chevis" or"Shevas". I can't find anything anywhere about it, perhaps because it isn't made anymore. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know at unknownphase@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!