Sticky Toffee Pancakes

Tuesday 8 March 2011



Yayy!! It's pancake day and I just can't wait to show you what I came up with! I think I did myself proud with this one.



I was sitting in bed last night thinking . . . what is the scrummiest, yummiest version of pancakes that I could possibly make . . . hmmm . . .

Something so completely deliciously hedonistic, and pushing the envelope of taste just that little bit further . . .



Something that will have people drooling and scrambling into the kitchen to make . . . right . . . away!



I thought and thought, and then it came to me . . . Sticky Toffee Pancakes. Yes, that traditional British pudding, hailing from the Lake District . . . except in a dessert pancake!



Imagine it . . . fluffy Scotch Pancakes, stogged full of sticky dates, all light and fluffy . . . topped with a scoop of really good Vanilla Bean Ice Cream . . . and then slathered with a warm Sticky Toffee Sauce . . . mmmm . . . can you taste it???

Oh darn . . . I guess you'll just have to make them for yourself and see how good they are first hand. You won't regret it. I think this is the perfect way to celebrate pancake day!



Oh sure . . . you could just make the pancakes, and they would be excellent served with maple syrup, and not to bad health wise either . . . but why not go whole hog and make the sticky toffee sauce!!!

Why not indeed!



*Sticky Toffee Pancakes*
Makes 12 pancakes
Printable Recipe

Your favourite pudding in a pancake. Perfect dessert for pancake day. Delicious!

6 ounces pitted dates, diced (a scant cup)
250ml of boiling water (1 cup)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250ml of sour cream (1 cup)
255g of self raising flour, sifted (2 cups)
3 ounces soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
3 large free range eggs, separated

For the sauce:
6 ounces soft light brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
7 ounces of unsalted butter (1 cup less 2 TBS)
250ml of double cream (1 cup)

First make the sauce. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat, without boiling, until the butter has melted, whisking the whole time. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until thickened. Keep warm while you make the pancakes.

Place the dates into a bowl and pour the boiling water over top. Stir in the baking soda and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and then place in a blender along with the sour cream. Blitz until smooth.Sift the flour into a bowl and whisk together with the brown sugar. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the date mixture, along with the egg yolks. Mix together to make a smooth batter. Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the pancake batter, half at a time.

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add a knob of butter. Once it begins to foam, drop in the pancake batter by heaped tablespoonful's. Cook until bubbles form on the surface and the bottoms are browned. Flip over and cook the other side. Remove and keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes in the same way, using up the remainder of the batter. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and the toffee sauce spooned over all.

Note - You can add 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecan nuts to the toffee sauce.

14 comments

  1. Oh, gosh, Marie! That's it! You've done it now! The diet's shot! I can't even begin to tell you how absolutely delicious that looks! Sounds like a new Conference Saturday breakfast to me!

    Sending you lots of love this chilly, breezy California night, my dear friend...you're just amazing!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and very naughty! Mmmm. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the top:) Moorerishly good looking..scrummy too:) Do I read your blog enough?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. I can't get these out of my head. Warm, gooey toffee sauce? I wish I had a plate in front of me now! That's what life is all about! Warm toffee sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo good... dangerously good... LOL! ;o) Must make these...mmm... Happy Pancake Tuesday, Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I am definitely gonna have to give this a try. We were just in Sri Lanka where one evening we were served sticky toffee pudding that came with hot toffee sauce, hot custard and fresh whipped cream. It was pure heaven! And these pancakes sounds like they would be just as scrumptious! Yummo! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You cheeky blighter! These look so delicious they could ruin anyone's diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep - reckon you out did yourself on this wee creation. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a terrible thing for me to see at this time of the day...I am starving and I could eat them right off the screen...YUMMY! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pancakes sound simply divine!
    I am certainly going to have to try these very soon.
    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, these sound amazing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sticky toffee pudding was my favorite dessert when I live in the UK and this looks so good! I was wondering if i could substitute sour cream with yoghurt as sour cream is a bit hard to find here? thanks a lot x
    p.s i tried your baby sticky toffee cakes for christmas and it was a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clover I think plain yoghurt will work just fine. Glad you liked the Sticky Toffee Cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear me... You know that because of you, Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake is now my favorite cake of ALL TIME... and you've turned it into a pancake?! Goodness GRACIOUS I need to try these!! I'm pinning them for a fall morning... *drool*... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!