Warm Potato, Olive and Green Bean Salad

Tuesday 20 April 2010



Once in a while I love to serve a warm potato salad for our tea. It always goes down a real treat with burgers, grilled fish, chicken . . . even steak and chops.

Hot potato salads are pretty versatile. You can toss pretty much anything into the bowl and it turns out grand. Olives, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, cheese. The sky's the limit!



Tossing the warm potatoes in a well seasoned vinaigrette ensures that the potatoes absorb the flavours of the other ingredients really well.

Mmmm . . . this is one of my favourite combinations. You get all the sweetness of the new potatoes combined with the tender crunch of haricots vert, the peppery snap of fresh rocket, and the saltiness of beautifully rich and meaty dry cured black olives. I like to buy the ones that come marinated with herbs and garlic. They really have a lot of flavour.


Add to that the sweetness of baby plum tomatoes and a tangy balsamic vinaigrette and you have a match made in heaven . . . with a touch of mild red onion and a sprinkling of salty freshly grated Parmesan cheese, this salad is a meal in and of itself.

You are going to love this! And it's so easy and quick to put together. Lickety split and it's done and you're digging in! You'll want to eat this on the day. The rocket gets all wilted if you keep it any longer, which isn't a problem if you don't mind soggy rocket.




*Warm Potato, Olive and Green Bean Salad*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

A delicious warm potato salad which makes the most of that wonderful sweetness you find in baby new potatoes. A delightful mixture of potato, olives, baby plum tomatoes, black olives and rocket, in a garlicky balsamic vinaigrette. Incredibly tasty!

450g small new potatoes (about 2 pounds)
12 baby plum tomatoes, halved
1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
4 TBS basil leaves, torn into bits with your fingers
about 12 dry cured black olives, pitted and halved
a handful of fresh green beans
a couple handfuls of fresh rocket

For the dressing:
5 TBS good quality extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS good quality balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

To serve:
25g freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Place the potatoes into a pan of lightly salted boiling water. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, adding the green beans the last five minutes of cooking. Drain well. Cut the potatoes and beans in half while still hot and toss with the dressing right away.

To make the dressing whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic and seasoning. Pour this over the hot potatoes and beans, tossing all together until well coated. Add the tomatoes, onions, olives and basil leaves. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Toss in the rocket leaves just prior to serving and garnish with a healthy grating of Parmesan cheese.

Note:  The North American equivalent of rocket would be arugula.

16 comments

  1. In Germany, at least the region I come from, we also serve our potato salad warm. It tastes so much better. I really like your version with all the Mediterranean flavors mixed with in. Thanks, for the wonderful recipe idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like summer! Lovely salad Marie. I always mix the dressing in while the potatatos are warm just so the flavors will absorb well, even for a cold serving. My daughter will love this
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estupenda ensalada. Tiene una pinta estupenda. Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic! It's definitely going on our menu for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love this salad, Marie--it's bursting with health & goodness... it's so beautiful! This will be wonderful for summer and light-cooking days! :o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YA OXOX ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie! This is just lovely and PACKED with all of the GOODIES that I find most desirable in a salad....BASIL, TOMATO, PARMESAN. WEll, I could just stop there, but a BALSAMIC dressing is always a fave, as too. All in ONE package. I will be trying it soon ~ thank you! xx P&H

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so so good, perfect for these spring days for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks simply delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous salad, Marie! Can't wait to try this one! I always love the way you describe your dish--one can almost taste it in your description! And the photos....yum!

    Hope you're having a beautiful day today...much love to you today, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have everything except the green beans..On my list Marie..
    Maybe for my son-in-laws joint bday party at my daughter's? You've been to a few gatherings so far:)Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks lovely and light. Perfect for the warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can almost taste the texture of the baby potatoes. I love the freshness of this salad especially with those gorgeous green beans. I hope to have this on my table soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum. warm potato salads are a favourite of mine (a favourite in our house is warm potato and beetroot salad, with lots of vinaigrette and a big pile of aioli on the side)
    We also love Russian Salad ("ensaladilla") as it is the spanish version of potato salad.
    Potatoes, finely diced carrots (cooked), peas, corn, tuna and chopped olives, and APPLE. season and add mayo. Sounds like a bizarre combination but trust me....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie this looks delish!
    Sorry I've been a bit on and off with both blogging and commenting. I've been so unwell you wouldn't believe. One minute I think I'm okay and then next I'm not again! I can't get rid of this chest infection :(
    Glad you got the card xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Marie,

    This looks beautiful! I love it! I'm a dietitian and blogger always looking for healthy recipes and this something I can definitely recommend! And I love your by-line! I live in the US. I've been to London few times, and my hubby travels to the British country side often and I have never heard him talk about something that creative--and vegetable-y!
    Nice to meet you and looks forward to your recipes!
    Nour

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!