Lemon Curd and a darned good Lemon Drizzle Cake

Monday 22 February 2010



As I have said many times in the past, I love lemons. They have to be one of my favourite of all fruits. If I had to choose between chocolate cake and lemon cake, I'd be hard pressed to choose, but I think in the end . . . lemon would overcome.



I just love their fresh clean flavour and that lovely tang. I found myself this weekend having bought far too many lemons. (I have a tendancy to pick up a mesh bag of them almost every time I go to the shops. They come in ever so handy.)



Not a problem though as I also fancied some delicious homemade lemon curd. There is nothing as tasty as homemade lemon curd and it's not as hard to make as some would suppose.

Some handy hints for lemons. Keep them at room temperature and you will get far more juice from them than if you keep them in the fridge. Also give them a good roll between the palm of your hand and the counter top before juicing, and you'll get absolutely the most juice that you possibly can from them! I Love my wooden lemon juicer. It works like a charm and I would not be without one now!



Back to Lemon Curd. This recipe makes rather a lot, but it is such a wonderful thing to have in the fridge. I use it all the time. It is just wonderful spread on warm scones and bread, in between cake layers, on top of ginger biscuits, in crisp pastry tart shells . . . or just spooned out of the jar. Yummo! I am a glutton through and through I do believe!



Of course you can also pack it into jars and gift a few of your friends with some of it. They'll love you for it forever, I guarantee!



*Lemon Curd*
Makes about 3 cups
Printable Recipe

Once you have had proper homemade lemon curd, you will never want to buy ready made again. The fresh made stuff is delicious, and very easy to make. It's a good way of getting rid of that glut of lemons you may have! It's delicious spread on bread, scones or muffins. I love it spread between thin ginger thins and topped with whipped cream, or as a tasty filling in a nice sponge cake.

1 TBS finely grated lemon zest plus 2 tsp of the same
8 fluid ounces (1 cup) fresh lemon juice
265g caster sugar (approx 1 1/3 cups)
4 large free range eggs
6 ounces unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
plus 2 TBS, all cut into TBS sized pieces



Whisk the zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs and a pinch of salt together in a heavy 2 litre saucepan. Add the butter all at once and then cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly until the curd is thick enough to hold the marks of the whisk and the first bubbles appear and break the surface. This should take about 10 minutes. Immediately pour through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover and chill before use. This should keep, covered and in the fridge for about 1 week.



Here's another delicious use for some of that Lemon curd. A tasty Lemon Drizzle Cake. mmm . . .



*Lemon Drizzle Cake*
Makes one loaf sized cake
Printable Recipe

This has to be one of the easiest cakes ever. You just bung everything into a food processor and blitz. Quick, easy and oh so very delicious!!

140g self raising flour (1 cup)
4 ounces butter (1/2 cup)
115g caster sugar (2/3 cup)
2 large free range eggs
2 dessertspoons of lemon curd
the grated zest of one lemon

For the topping:
the juice of 1/2 lemon
2 TBS caster sugar



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper. Set aside.

Put all the cake ingredients into a food processor. Blend together for 2 minutes. Scrape mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

While the cake is still warm, and before turning it out of the tin, mix the lemon juice and sugar together until the sugar dissolves somewhat, and pour this mixture over top evenly. Let sit for about 10 minutes before removing from the tin to cool completely on a wire rack.



And of course, there is nothing tastier than a fresh piece of Lemon Drizzle Cake with a huge dollop of lemon curd spread over the top of it. Oh, my . . . I must have surely died and gone to heaven . . . .

27 comments

  1. wow what a cake and I adore lemon curd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, Marie! I've been wanting a good lemon curd recipe--I love the stuff! I can't imagine finding a better recipe than one of yours...so I'm a happy girl!

    The cake looks amazing too! I'm with you on lemon vs. chocolate...lemon will ALWAYS win with me!

    Hope you're having a lovely morning...I'm staying up late tonight to begin watching "Larkrise to Candleford"--I remember you mentioned it once...my Mom purchased Season 1 for me for my birthday--I'm excited for a new adventure!

    Much love to you, as always, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I've been on a lemon curd kick lately- seems I'm making it and using it all the time. I Must try your cake-looks lovely!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon curd--ever a favorite at our house! And you cake looks scrumptious, Marie--must make, and soon! I want to make a lime curd sometime too...also lovely...mmm... Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I love lemon curd but have yet to make my own, you've inspired me now. I made a Lemon Drizzle Cake this weekend too!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh the cake looks perfect!! I have never made lemon curd, maybe you've inspired me enough to try it at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know me and lemon too:) ~ Thank you Marie~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon too, thanks for posting this recipe I have wanted a good curd recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don<t you just love a lemon reamer? I love love lemon but have never made lemon curd; now I am tempted; can almost taste it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home made wins hands down in my book. I love making lemon curd, its like me therapy session. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes definitely the food of angels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am wilting away to a mere ton from the want of this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not fair!! I already have 2 lemon cakes on my todo list but this one bypasses them both. The crumb of this cake looks amazing. Soft and tender (please correct me if I'm wrong and my eyes are just deceiving me). And I just happen to have homemade orange curd in the fridge so I might turn this into an Orange Cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe!! Will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking of making this tonight or tomorrow night. Do you use softened or melted butter? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just made this cake and it is beautifully lemony. I used self raising flour as I am here in UK but my processor is in Canada so I used my electric hand mixer. It came out heavier., Yours looks light in texture. I will make it again when I am back in Ontario and use cake flour with I think some baking powder. What do you think?

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  16. I finally made this cake yesterday. I turned it into an orange cake using orange zest and homemade orange curd. For a little crunch, I added a little bit of poppy seeds. The cake was baking up fine until the last 5-10 minutes. That's when it sank. Luckily that mishap didn't affect the taste. It was delicious! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your lemon curd looks just like the one in my recipe box. Are we related? LOL After seeing yours I'm compelled to make it again. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't thank you enough for posting the recipe for the lemon curd yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you put the lemon curd in preserving jars how long will it last? I've just this minute made some....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not sure. I know that in ordinary jars it keeps for about a week. Not a problem for me as I always have friends that don't mind getting a gift and we love eating it on all sorts. I believe you can also freeze it, although in all honesty I have never done so because it's never around long enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my Goodness! FINALLY a lemon curd recipe that doesn't taste like sour metal! I made this tonight and I can't wait to try it on your Lemon Drizzle cake! I also made your cinnamon bread! DELICIOUS! I will be trying alot more of your recipes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have frozen my lemon curd several times with excellent results. I love it, but the recipe makes quite a bit. Thanks for a wonderful recipe and a great blog. I use your English recipes over here "stateside" all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is very nice to know that it can be frozen Chris! Thank you so much for sharing! Thanks also for your lovely words re my blog and recipes! You made my day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. O my soon as I can get to the store to get everything gonna make both.. Looks so yummy good. Thank you for sharing with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for this -- looks delicious and not hard!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!