Honey Banana Loaf

Wednesday 16 December 2009



I like to buy a bunch of bananas every week. We love ripe bananas in this house . . .

sliced on top of our rice crispies . . .



sliced and slathered in vanilla custard . . .



eaten out of hand when tiny brown freckles appear on the skin . . .



and allowed to go almost rotten and then baked into lovely cakes, breads and muffins. In fact I often have to hide several out of Todd's radar so that this can occur.

It really annoys Todd sif he thinks that I have let them get so bad. He keeps saying . . . "You better throw those rotten bananas out!" He doesn't understand the worth of an over-ripe banana.



Well . . . . not until he begins to eat the lovely things I bake with them.

Then he totally supports my madness in allowing some of them to turn brown and black . . .



He may not really understand . . . but he's not against reaping their benefits.

And that's ok.



*Honey Banana Loaf*
Makes one 2 pound loaf
Printable Recipe

This lovely loaf might look dark on the outside, but inside it is a light honey brown, moist and redolent of the lovely flavours of banana and honey. Mmmm . . . it's just wonderfully moreish!

8 ounces self raising flour
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
4 ounces butter
8 ounces really ripe banana, peeled and mashed
4 ounces golden caster sugar
the grated zest of one lemon
2 large eggs
6 TBS thick pale honey
To top:
2 TBS honey, gently warmed
3 sugar cubes, crushed

Pre-heat the oven to 160*C/325*F. Grease a 2 pound loaf tin and line with baking paper. Set aside.

Measure the flour into a bowl. Whisk in the nutmeg. Tip in the butter and then rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine dry breadcrumbs.

Stir in the mashed bananas along with the sugar, lemon zest, eggs and honey. Beat well, until evenly mixed. Turn into the prepared pan, level off the top and then place in the heated oven.

Bake for 1 1/4 hours until the cake tests down when I fine skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for several minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Peel off the paper.

Gently warm the honey in the microwave and then brush the heated honey over the top of the cold loaf. Sprinkle with the crushed sugar cubes. Delicious!

11 comments

  1. Oh, how delicious! Nothing better than banana bread--and yours looks especially scrumptious! (I would expect nothing less!) I'll be trying this recipe with my next almost black bananas! My husband won't eat them with ANY spots on them--he's so funny about that! Everything else in the world he wouldn't waste for anything!....but he does love some yummy, warm banana bread with those yucky bananas!

    Just popped a little something in the mail for you today...! Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like my beloved Nan's Banana and Honey Tea Loaf. http://littlefoodie.blogspot.com/2007/04/nans-banana-honey-tea-bread.html

    Hope you are well Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expect this is quite an old recipe Amanda! I adapted it from Mary Berry's baking book. How fun to read that your nan also used to bake it. I remember seeing the banana bread post on your blog now. So long ago. Amazing to know that we have known each other that long! Wow!! Hope you are well also! Haven't seen a post from you in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esta receta ya mismo va a caer. Gracias por ella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, this is absolutely nice, I love loafs! , send you huggsssss, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, my Nan was 90 in October and I know she used to have it baked for her by her Grandmother so I guess the recipe could be classed as antique.

    I was freaked out when I saw this, this morning as I only referred to Nan's recipe yesterday. I made 2 heart shaped ones and 44 cupcakes. One went with the husband, one to the teachers at school and the cupcakes where polished off when several boys had finished their first snowball fight of the winter. Served with hot chocolate and marshmallows! YUM!

    We're all good here, lots going on which is why I hardly ever blog anymore. I do try and read others when I can though.

    Have a good Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. were polished off not where polished off...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That crumb texture looks excellent in this sweet bread, Marie... And the only way I can eat bananas--with lots of sugar/honey! ;o) Happy Day, dear friend... LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice looking banana bread! Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marie

    What brand of honey did you use for the thick pale honey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marlene set honey. I picked it up at Lidl's. HOpe this helps Jackie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!