The Ultimate in Macaroni and Cheese

Tuesday 1 September 2009



One of my absolute favourite dishes of all time has been macaroni and cheese. This is the ultimate in comfort food to me.

I have tried many, many different recipes. I love it done the old fashioned way which is pure and unadulterated, nothing but cooked macaroni, milk, chunks of cheese and lots of butter. Seasoned with salt and pepper and baked until the milk is almost absorbed by the macaroni and there are gooey patches of delicious cheese scattered throughout . . . it is simple, old fashioned, and really, really good.



I love the boxed ones. I know a sacrilege to some, but lets face it, they can be quite comforting as well and make a great lunch in a pinch. I have a distinct preference for Presidents Choice White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese mix, which I can only get in Canada and I can't wait until next year when I can go over and stock up on the stuff.

I love to add a tin of chopped tomatoes when I am making the boxed stuff, or some Heinz chili sauce. This takes it beyond the ordinary and turns it into something special. I could eat the whole box all by myself, and when I was younger, my husband and I often ate a box of it for an evening snack before we went to bed. (ahh youth . . . )



When I really want to indulge though, this is the version I make. There is no better way to make a good macaroni and cheese, and I have tried quite a few different versions. This is the culimination of years of testing and trying and this is what I have come to think is the ultimate in Macaroni and Cheese. A rich and cheesy sauce, and lots of it in comparison to the macaroni, and topped with buttery crisp bread crumbs.



You need look no further. This IS the absolute best.



*Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This, to me, is the absolute best macaroni and cheese recipe ever. Rich, yes. Lucious, yes. Cheesy, yes. Fattening, who cares . . . The best, ultimately.

8 ounces dry macaroni
2 ounces butter
2 ounces plain flour
1/2 pint milk
1/2 pint double cream
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 ounces strong cheddar, shredded
2 ounces Red Leicester cheese, shredded
2 ounces Parmesan Reggiano cheese, shredded
4 ounces fresh bread crumbs
1 ounce melted butter



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Butter a casserole dish and set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring for one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and the cream, whisking constantly. Add the salt and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Stir in the cheeses, mixing in until they are melted. Set aside.

Cook the macaroni in lightly salted boiling water to cover until done, according to the package directions. Drain well. Stir the drained macaroni into the cheese sauce. Pour the complete mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

Mix the melted butter with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over top of the macaroni. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Let sit a few minutes before serving.

12 comments

  1. Looks just wonderful! Kinda like everything else you make ;) I'll have to try it out soon, Macaroni and Cheese is the house favorite here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macaroni Cheese...one of my favorites...mmm...and my favorite autumn comfort food! :O) Love the cheese pairs here, Marie--ideal! Oh, I could eat some of this now... It's rainy and chilly here...bbbrrr..I think summer is over--LOL! Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooooo my oh my, what a beautiful day.....
    How comforting would this be ??
    I need some of that....might cheer me up !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks hard to duplicate this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macaroni Cheese -mmm you've got to love it haven't you? You can almost imagine yourself eating this while you read the recipe. If I've lost any weight this week I am going to celebrate with some Mac Cheese on Saturday.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made this type of mac & cheese before but the cheese sauce has gone grainy after being baked in the oven. Any suggestions? I'm definitely going to try your version ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just printed this out and am making it for supper. I haven't had it in ages and can't wait. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this tonight. I made a few changes as I didn't have the required cheese but cheddar and mozzarella filled the void with the parmigiana. Just lovely, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making this tomorrow night for dinner with a friend. Cannot wait. Bring it on! Mac and Cheese is awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am fairly confident you and your friend will love this mylifetolead! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any idea what could take the place of the red leicester here in Canada Marie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just use more cheddar Amelia. I used it here for it's orange colour and to give the mac and cheese more colour. A good cheddar would work fine! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!