Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter

Friday 24 July 2009



One thing that we used to really look forward to each year when I was growing up, was corn on the cob season. It was one of our favourite times of year because, we knew that, once the corn was ripe, we would be having a feed of delicious corn on the cob for supper.

And . . . when I say a feed of corn, I mean exactly that. My mother would bring a huge pot of water to the boil, whilst we kids got busy to shucking the corn in the back garden at the picnic table. Once it was all shucked, we'd bring it in and she'd commence to boiling it. Oh the smell of corn that permeated the air, was enough to make our taste buds tingle in anticipation. Once it was cooked just right and crispy tender, we'd sit down at the table and commence to eating . . . cob after cob of that sweet golden goodness, all slathered in butter and salt.



We could eat as much of it as we wanted to, and each of us would try to outdo the others in how many cobs we could manage to eat. I don't think I ever managed any more than three at the most . . . oh how good that corn tasted, with butter running down my chin, all crisp and sweet and buttery in my mouth, my teeth running down the cob like an old fashioned typewriter platen . . . I liked to eat it in rows.



Todd and I don't sit there and try to see how much we can outdo each other these days when we have corn on the cob, and I don't cook oodles and oodles of it either, but during corn on the cob season, I make sure I treat us to this delicious golden treat more than just a few times . . .



Coated with a delicious and tangy lime butter, it is hard not to make a pig of myself . . . and, really . . . who could blame me if I did . . .



*Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Crisp and sweet, just oozing with buttery lime goodness. When it's corn on the cob season, this is one of our favourite ways of eating it.

2 large ears of corn on the cob, or 4 small
(Shucked and all silk removed)
1 TBS sugar
6 ounces butter
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
the juice and zest of 1 small lime
2 TBS fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste



Trim your corn on the cob and cut each ear in half if using large ones. Place in a pan of boiling water that you have added the sugar to. Cover and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, just until the corn is tender.

While the corn is cooking place the butter and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan along with the lime zest. Heat until the butter is melted. Whisk in the lime juice and chopped coriander.

Remove the cooked corn from the pot onto a heated plate and immediately pour the sauce over the hot corn. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

6 comments

  1. Oooooooh yum. What else can I say ! I have to wait another six months for the corn season but I will be pasting this recipe in my book so that I don't forget it. I never knew that you should add sugar to the cooking water. What a good idea. AND melting and flavouring the butter would have to be so much easier that trying to spread it on with a knife. This old dog continues to learn new tricks. Thankyou Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be still my heart...the great taste of summer--corn on the cob--made even better! Love the lime butter, Marie... Oh, I could eat some of this now! Happy weekend, dear friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love corn on the cob with butter and lime juice squeezed on it. I want to try this recipe.

    Marie, can you share with me how you add the posts we might also like at the end of the post? I cannot seem to find that on blogger. I know it is probably obvious once you find it! If you have a minute I would so appreciate being guided to the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to admit this but I have never tasted corn on the cob. Only tins of Green Giant, which apparently bears not the slightest resemblance. It looks as if I'v been missing something here!

    Any word on Terri?

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm the lime butter sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really love corns with butter Marie and these look so delicious!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!