Cauliflower Rarebit

Saturday 27 June 2009



One of my most favourite of all vegetables is the humble cauliflower. I just can't get enough of it. If you have a cauliflower in the house, you have a wonderful meal, just waiting to be cooked . . .




Roasted, boiled, steamed or raw . . . there is no end to the ways you can prepare it. I love it in soups, or roasted until it is tender and slightly caramelized at the edges . . .



Laying beneath a rich and cheesy sauce, cauliflower cheese has to be my absolute favourite of all vegetable dishes . . . that is . . . until I discovered this little gem.

Cauliflower . . . humble no more.




*Cauliflower Rarebit*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Imagine crispy tender cauliflower, laying on a bed of toasted ciabatta, gently flavoured with garlic, beneath a soft cover of cheesey rarebit and then tucked under the broiler until bubbling and browned. Yes, this is heaven, pure and simple heaven.

8 thick slices of ciabatta
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
(about 2 pounds)
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated red Leicester cheese
1 TBS Dijon mustard
2 large eggs, beaten
2 TBS beer
4 TBS cream
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste



Pre-heat the broiler. (Grill) Place the slices of ciabatta onto a rack and then lightly toast them under the grill on both sides. Remove from the grill and rub the cut side of the garlic over one side of each slice of bread. Set aside.

Bring a saucepan of slightly salted water to the boil and drop in the cauliflower florets. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until it is tender when you prod it with a knife. Drain very well.

Mix the cheeses, mustard, eggs, beer and cream together in a bowl.

Put the toasted ciabatta pieces onto a baking tray. Arrange some of the cauliflower on top of each one. Divide the cheese mixture amongst the pieces of toast, making sure you cover all of the cauliflower.

Place under the grill and toast them until they are golden brown and bubbling. Let sit for about 5 minutes before removing to hot plates to serve. Season with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

6 comments

  1. Just last week I commented on how much I looooove cauliflower cheese and today you have introduced me to this new delight. Oh my I can't wait to try this one out, it looks absolutely delicious. Thank you :-)
    ps. Thankyou for the note about the pancetta lardons. I know exactly what you mean now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cauli too but I don't like the smell when it's being cooked. I think it ranks alongside cabbage as the smell you wouldn't want in your house if you were trying to sell it!

    Add the cheese sauce though and all is forgiven.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! Marie what wonderful look!! I love cauliflower and Esperanz atoo, today i hope to buy some cauliflower to make this! Thanks by the recipe, look so tasty, kissses, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa in North Carolina16 August 2010 at 18:08

    Yummmm, this looks good! Melted cheese on toast (or cheese toast) is my most favorite food in all the world. It will cure what ails you, fill you up, comfort you and make you feel loved! Adding the cooked cauliflower to the bread and cheese makes an easy Meatless Monday meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds absolutely delicious! I have a bit of cauli in the refrigerator that needs to be used. This would be perfect.~ Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy it Elaine! Its really very good if I don't say so myself! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!